How Often Do You Deadlift?

I know this much.

Super high frequency training (for me) will wreck my joints.

Not saying this for everyone, some people can happily train squats and deadlifts a total of 5 times a week, but for many of us, more than 2-3 sessions will result in disaster.

There is a trend here to high frequency workouts, but just remember that tendonitis is an absolute bitch to get rid of and you should be careful.

Be especially careful if you are also playing a sport (plyometrics) and lifting heavy weights… thats the killer combo, and we arent all up to it.

[quote]perseng wrote:
I know this much.

Super high frequency training (for me) will wreck my joints.

Not saying this for everyone, some people can happily train squats and deadlifts a total of 5 times a week, but for many of us, more than 2-3 sessions will result in disaster.

There is a trend here to high frequency workouts, but just remember that tendonitis is an absolute bitch to get rid of and you should be careful.

Be especially careful if you are also playing a sport (plyometrics) and lifting heavy weights… thats the killer combo, and we arent all up to it.[/quote]

I only work my lower body twice a week. So I should be safe. I use to work out 6 to 7 days a week but have cut back to 5 days. I realized my body needs a couple days of rest. It is a better schedule and it allows me to push myself harder on the days
I workout.

• Claire

I myself like to do GM’s on chest day,they not only help me loosen up but in my experience that if done on dl days you will run out of gas to soon.

Just a suggestion but you might not deadlift but do accessory movements one week then dl the next. Accessory movements = pull throughs, planks,using the dreaded but useful swissball, for rev. extentions and the like. The pl’s that I workout with only dl once every 6 weeks and that is only to see how much stronger they have become.

just my opinion

alan

Most weeks- work triples up to about 65-70% of max- pause and reset after each rep- about 4 real work sets. These are reall just for speed and technique. Then every few weeks pull heavy. I’ve tried a high volume method (Sheiko) and a linear peaking plan. But the first method seems to work best for me in terms of building my DL strength.

You might want to check out the following article by Eric Cressey:

Frequent Pulling for Faster Progress: 12 Weeks to a Bigger Deadlift
http://elitefts.com/documents/frequent_pulling.htm

I deadlift about once a week, just to maintain decent overall strength. It’s the only lift I do anymore because I’m way more into biking than lifting. I work my way up to heavy sets of 3, and that’s it. The single most cost effective exercise.

there is no ideal number for how often someone should deadlift. it depends on your conditioning, how many sets your doing, how many reps, what percentage of your 1RM you’re training with, what other kinds of exercises you’re currently doing in your training program, etc…

you need to deadlift as often as you can while still making steady progress in your strength. if you’re not getting stronger over time, you’re fucking up with one or more of the countless variables of training.

generally, i think deadlifting is one of those exercises that can be done rarely over the course of a year, but of course there can be a phase or two within that year where you’re deadlifting more frequently. but if youre lower back is in good condition don’t feel bad to do other types of related motions like good morning, partial deadlifts/romanian deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, cleans, etc…

general rule: as much volume as you can handle while still making steady progress in strength over time.

The two things that help my deadlift the most:

Good Mornings from the bottom off pins, and Zercher Squats.

I think these help my pull more than pulling at this point.

The deadlift, particularly the conventional version, is not as technically rigorous as the other powerlifts, but it is more neurally demanding. So what does that mean? You don’t need to practice the groove as often, and frequent heavy practice of the lift can wear you down very quickly.

It is, I think, for these reasons that intermediate and advanced lifters tend, for the most part, to improve their pulls best by not pulling terribly often, but rather finding assistance lifts that work for them, and bringing those up.

Best of luck

[quote]Ramo wrote:
The two things that help my deadlift the most:

Good Mornings from the bottom off pins, and Zercher Squats.

I think these help my pull more than pulling at this point.

The deadlift, particularly the conventional version, is not as technically rigorous as the other powerlifts, but it is more neurally demanding. So what does that mean? You don’t need to practice the groove as often, and frequent heavy practice of the lift can wear you down very quickly.

It is, I think, for these reasons that intermediate and advanced lifters tend, for the most part, to improve their pulls best by not pulling terribly often, but rather finding assistance lifts that work for them, and bringing those up.

Best of luck [/quote]

i really agree with the part where you say the deadlift is not technically regiorous, but very neurologically demanding.

deadlifts definitely cannot be done heavy day in and day out for long periods of time. and you’re right, the ‘groove’ never leaves you. i haven’t deadlifting heavy in probably close to two years and it’s like riding a bike if i ever did heavy full range, again. you never forget once you’ve got it.

[quote]ballbuster wrote:
I myself like to do GM’s on chest day,they not only help me loosen up but in my experience that if done on dl days you will run out of gas to soon.

Just a suggestion but you might not deadlift but do accessory movements one week then dl the next. Accessory movements = pull throughs, planks,using the dreaded but useful swissball, for rev. extentions and the like. The pl’s that I workout with only dl once every 6 weeks and that is only to see how much stronger they have become.

just my opinion

alan[/quote]

Hi Alan,

There are a few PL at my gym that dl. They follow WSB and only deadlift once in a while. My problem is since other than RDL, I have not deadlifted often enough to determine which stance is best for me and my grip is not that great. I want to deadlift every week so I can practice it and determine what form to use for my max lift. Once I get my weight up, I will start using WSB again and have a DE and ME squat day and occasionally DL.

Claire

[quote]Leafblighter wrote:
You might want to check out the following article by Eric Cressey:

Frequent Pulling for Faster Progress: 12 Weeks to a Bigger Deadlift
http://elitefts.com/documents/frequent_pulling.htm[/quote]

Good article. Thanks.

Thanks for everyones input. I am going to continue to DL every week until I stop making progress. I already added good mornings and pull thrus to my workout and will continue to do them.

Claire

honestly it depends on my week i work out 6 days a week for 3 hoours at a time and on deadlift it is ussually 2-3 times a week and i deadlift around 700 right now and that is with out workin out for almost a whole year due to hurricane katrina, but pre hurricane season i was pulling around 900lbs. working deadlift 2 times a week. so it all depends how much you wanna do…

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Point of reference, I also don’t feel deadlifting in anything but singles is worth while.

Or at least a pause long enough to set yourself up again as though it were your first rep.

Repping deadlifts usually ends with shit form if you don’t take time to reset.

And shitty motor patterns practiced means shitty motor patterns executed when you call on them in competition. [/quote]

Ghost22, How many singles do you pull in a workout?

What percentage of your 1RM do you use?

Thanx.

sorry for replying so late after the post but i tell you how i pull
warm up

work out

but any way i just trow up insane numbers because i can…
you should take your max and break it down into percentages
65%X10
75%X 8
80%X 5
85%X 3
90%X 2
95%X 2
is what you should phsyically be able to do…
warm up light and then go heavy for second part of work out…
if you go a second day in the week of dead lift go for
50%X3setsX10
65%X2setsX5

if you have any other questions PM me.

Just find out what works for you.

Once you get to elite, you probably won’t find that deadlifting heavy every week would be too beneficial (or good for the CNS).

I twice a week, bent leg one day romanian another day. I love them and don’t see a problem doing them every other day as long as you have you heart and head into each lift.

i pull once every other week, but i also do alot of heavy strongman events that are similar to a dead every week(stones,tires,you gotta pick the farmers up somehow), i have found that i can deadlift for a few weeks straight but more than 3 and my events go down…i have found that if my squats(mostly box) are going up then everything works out nicely

yeah they are right you shouldn’t keep going to heavy like me unless you are an elite lifter…

but the reason i go so heavy is because i have been training for a big meet comming up in november i am going for 900+ pull,850+ bench,750-800 squat,2500+ total…

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am deadlifting once a week now. Alternating between 5x5 and doubles/singles. My deadlift has increased to 255lb (I think I started at 215). I just need 45 more lbs to meet my goal.