How Often Do You Deadlift?

I just started working on improving my deadlift. My PR is 210lbs. My goal is to DL 300lbs. I am a female power lifter and I weigh 152lbs.

My trainer suggested I only deadlift every 10 - 14 days so that I do not end up with back problems.

Do you think it is okay to deadlift every week? I have a strong lower back and have not had any back problems.

Claire

Sure its fine to deadlift every week. Usually I squat monday, clean wednesday, and deadlift friday. I’ve had no problems with this at all. Its all about managing volume.

Your personal trainer, like most personal trainers, doesn’t know what their talking about. I don’t mean to sound rude but, the only reason to limit your deadlifting would be because of how taxing it is on the CNS.

Deadlifting, when performed properly, doesn’t hurt your back. Quite the opposite, it strengthens it (along with the rest of your posterior chain). To answer your question, I deadlift once a week and, probably because of corrected posture from deadlifting, I experience far less back pain.

Assuming that you are managing volumes properly you should probably be able to deadlift once a week. Maybe even convential deadlift one day a week and sumo deadlift aother day with lower weights\higher reps.

Going too long between deadlift sessions, in my opinion, may not allow you to stay in the groove with regards to form and technique.

Deadlifting is taxing on the CNS.

You’re too quick to bash the trainer.

It’s not uncommon for powerlifters to not work the deadlift in any way but dynamic for weeks at a time.

You don’t have to work the deadlift to get it stronger.

Slam the posterior chain and the strength will come.

A strong pos chain will benefit either stance (conv or sumo).

Following CW high frequency program I am deadlifting 4 times a week without problems. One day is 4 sets of 3 reps in the morning and 3 sets of 14 in the afternoon. Another day is 4 sets of 4 in the morning and 3 sets of 12 in the afternoon.

I do some sort of deadlift 2-3 times per week

Point of reference, I also don’t feel deadlifting in anything but singles is worth while.

Or at least a pause long enough to set yourself up again as though it were your first rep.

Repping deadlifts usually ends with shit form if you don’t take time to reset.

And shitty motor patterns practiced means shitty motor patterns executed when you call on them in competition.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Point of reference, I also don’t feel deadlifting in anything but singles is worth while.

Or at least a pause long enough to set yourself up again as though it were your first rep.

Repping deadlifts usually ends with shit form if you don’t take time to reset.

And shitty motor patterns practiced means shitty motor patterns executed when you call on them in competition. [/quote]

what you say has alot of merit…

but as far as I know (which isn’t much) there are three major ways to increase strength:

dynamic effort method, max effort method, and sub-max effort method (i.e. reps)…

so why not incorporate all three into a decent training program?

there are alot of guys that have busted through deadlifting plateaus using various higher rep schemes in their training…

[quote]DPH wrote:
what you say has alot of merit…

but as far as I know (which isn’t much) there are three major ways to increase strength:

dynamic effort method, max effort method, and sub-max effort method (i.e. reps)…

so why not incorporate all three into a decent training program?

there are alot of guys that have busted through deadlifting plateaus using various higher rep schemes in their training…[/quote]

That’s a fair point, all 3 have their place in stregth training.

I personally prefer to use something less taxing for my sub-max work, pull throughs, rev hypers, GHRs, even…gasp leg presses.

My vote is that the original poster, cvb, work the deadlift in all 3 types to see what she gets the most out of, then press that kind of training for her DL.

Smash that 300!

Personally I rarely deadlift and I find it goes up as long as my other posterior chain lifts are going up. Could just be me though, I only pull 400ish (hoping to hit 405 next time I pull, which I should be able to do I think), so I’m still kind of a deadlifting beginner compared to many others on here.

I do a max effort / dynamic effort split twice a week for my deads. Plus, I mix them up: Romanian stiff leg, wide grip, wide stance and the classic alternating grip. Since doing the wide grip, I’m lifting more weight regularly week after week. I’m near my alternating grip weight (though I haven’t done this in two months) and am looking to break 495 soon.

All this doing deads twice a week. Oh, and I started this exercise last October / November for the first time ever. And I never take any time off from deads. Ever.

Good luck on breaking your barriers.

hard once every 8 days and one day for speed and form. thats what i do

I agree with Ghost22, deadlifts are very taxing on the CNS, especially when performed heavy.

I do speed deadlifts once a week on my dynamic lower days, 5 sets at 1 rep each going no higher than 70% of my deadlift max. Then once every 3 weeks I do a heavy deadlift variation such as rack pulls. Also once every 3 weeks I do a heavy GM variation that targets my posterior chain.

Thanks for the input.

When I deadlift I go heavy. Doubles and singles. My trainer is having me work on speed. He really is a good trainer, he just tries to keep me safe. I tend to overtrain.

I do other work to help my deadlift, Good mornings, pull thrus and rack pulls. I use to do reverse hypers but I had surgery a couple months ago and it hurts to lay down on the machine. I am hoping to add them soon.

Previously when training, my workout partner did not like deadlifts. So we did them about twice in a 6 month period. So now that I train by myself, I want to incorporate it more often into my workout schedule. It sounds like once a week is fine.

I spent so much time on my bench because I was competing in a bench only meet. Now I want to try a full meet so I need to improve my squat and deadlift.

Thanks again!
Claire

good luck on your quest,

IMO pull threws are as good if not better than doing rev hypers. If they hurt don’t do them.

Two times a week I do a variation. Usually RDL for a few sets after squat on sqaut day and then a day dedicated to DL.

For what its worth works for me, was hoping for a PR come friday edging to seven plates but two broken toes will be delaying that attempt I think.

Go by how you feel we are all different, cant always pull fuLL havey DL’s Once a month for an all out 1RM is great for me.

Thanks Ballbuster! Once my stitches heal, I will started doing revers hypers again. Now that I am doing the pull thrus correctly, they work great.

Phil, I like the idea of adding RDL after my squats. My hamstrings need work. I am currently doing box squats to improve my form. I tend to lean forward when the weight gets heavy.

First off, good luck.

Second everyone on here has implied very good thoughts and i would say listen, Had to edit because i talked about good mornings then read that it was already talked about. Anyway, good luck.

Mike

[quote]Mike T. wrote:
First off, good luck.

Second everyone on here has implied very good thoughts and i would say listen, Had to edit because i talked about good mornings then read that it was already talked about. Anyway, good luck.

Mike[/quote]

Hi Mike,

I have a question about good mornings. Should I do them after deadlifting?

I recently added good mornings to my routine. They use to make me nervous because my previous trainer had me do them with straight legs and a narrow stance. I always felt like I was going to fall on my face. She also had me use the smith machine to squat.

Monday - Squat/RDL
Friday - DL/Good Morning

I am currently redoing my workout routines. It is hard to get help in my gym because most of the power lifters just bench. There are a few that compete in full meets but they workout at different times then me.

Thanks,
Claire