How Often Do You Cut

[quote]elliot007 wrote:
i actually didnt reallt start moving my bw up until i started eating everything

Barr’s article really helped me

i will probably not cut for a long time, i msay however add in additional cardio if i feel i am getting fat[/quote]

This post pleases me. I feel…uplifted.

[quote]dvv wrote:
Depends on how often you need to be superlean…

If you do a proper clean bulk you really won’t put on much bodyfat.[/quote]

Proper clean bulk? Is that followed by a mega cut phase? Where do you guys get your terms…

Bulking: Adding mass.
Dieting: Losing bodyfat for HEALTH REASONS. This is what super fat people do, not to be confused with contest prep.
Contest Preperation: Preparing yourself for a bodybuilding contest/weight class for sports.

I don’t see super mega clean cycle bulk proper phase anywhere up there. Nor do I see hypermega cutter.

[quote]elliot007 wrote:
i actually didnt reallt start moving my bw up until i started eating everything

Barr’s article really helped me

i will probably not cut for a long time, i msay however add in additional cardio if i feel i am getting fat[/quote]

Someone…who gets it?

You guys can’t tell me that you don’t want to be huge and somewhat ripped? If you are bulking all year long you will be huge and you will be kinda fat. I’d like to be able to take shirt off and the ladies go damn! look at that dude. I see alot of pictures of some real big guys with a six pack on this forum.

If I weighed like 160-180 pounds I would’nt even think of cutting. I’m straight up 220.

I know I need to eat cleaner food and alot of it. That’s hard to do 95% of the time. I guess that’s kind of the benefit of working out! You get to eat stuff that other people shouldn’t eat with minimal fat gains…

[quote]adamhum wrote:
You guys can’t tell me that you don’t want to be huge and somewhat ripped? If you are bulking all year long you will be huge and you will be kinda fat.[/quote]

Most people on this forum have the goal of being big and relatively lean. I personally don’t care about being below 10% body fat, but my goal is not to be too far above it when I reach my goal.

The point you seem to be skimming over, is that those who are going to make the most progress are not just training for “this Spring Break” or “this Summer”. I may eventually compete possibly within the next 2 years or so, but it isn’t a major goal for me. Looking like I could is.

With that in mind, what sense would it have made for me to diet down 3 times a year back when I weighed 160lbs? It wouldn’t have even made sense when I was first hitting 200lbs because that was not my goal. In fact, I doubt I would be anywhere near my current weight had I approached it like that.

There is a HUGE difference between being “smooth” because you are gaining and being outright fat as hell because you don’t pay attention to your food intake at all. Perhaps some need to simply learn the difference.

The bottom line is you fuck up your own progress pulling your body in different directions several times a year. No one is saying no one should ever diet. The issue is, why would someone put themselves in a position where they are going up and down in weight that often?

The only justification would be if you compete. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
adamhum wrote:
You guys can’t tell me that you don’t want to be huge and somewhat ripped? If you are bulking all year long you will be huge and you will be kinda fat.

Most people on this forum have the goal of being big and relatively lean. I personally don’t care about being below 10% body fat, but my goal is not to be too far above it when I reach my goal.

The point you seem to be skimming over, is that those who are going to make the most progress are not just training for “this Spring Break” or “this Summer”. I may eventually compete possibly within the next 2 years or so, but it isn’t a major goal for me. Looking like I could is.

With that in mind, what sense would it have made for me to diet down 3 times a year back when I weighed 160lbs? It wouldn’t have even made sense when I was first hitting 200lbs because that was not my goal. In fact, I doubt I would be anywhere near my current weight had I approached it like that.

There is a HUGE difference between being “smooth” because you are gaining and being outright fat as hell because you don’t pay attention to your food intake at all. Perhaps some need to simply learn the difference.

The bottom line is you fuck up your own progress pulling your body in different directions several times a year. No one is saying no one should ever diet. The issue is, why would someone put themselves in a position where they are going up and down in weight that often?

The only justification would be if you compete. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.[/quote]

Your right, I myself like to look good with my shirt on and off. Instead of cutting weight I plan on concentrating on cutting the wrong foods out of my diet.

• Adam

i really think guys over estimate how much being ripped matters to scoring chicks

being fit matters, but the difference between ripped and 15%bf as it relates to picking up women would be inconsequential in my opinion

also, 15%bf on a big guy looks far different than 15% on bones

[quote]elliot007 wrote:
i really think guys over estimate how much being ripped matters to scoring chicks

being fit matters, but the difference between ripped and 15%bf as it relates to picking up women would be inconsequential in my opinion

also, 15%bf on a big guy looks far different than 15% on bones

[/quote]

I have said this many times. Your overall body shape is of much more importance as far as catching the eyes of women on a daily basis than whether your body fat is 6%.

Most don’t care, especially considering the competition out there lately, as long as you look like you are in good shape and you are proportioned well. A guy with big shoulders, a big chest, big arms and a relatively smaller waist will catch more attention than some skinnier guy who is simply very very lean with abs.

Maybe that shit works in high school. I am wondering where some of these guys are that they are shirtless all of the time. I see looking good in a shirt as a slightly higher importance than whether there are veins on my abs visible.

The only justification would be if you compete. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.[/quote]

That’s exactly my point of my previous post. You’re just spinning your wheels by doing that.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
Professor X wrote:

The only justification would be if you compete. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.

That’s exactly my point of my previous post. You’re just spinning your wheels by doing that.
[/quote]

I think your right and it all depends on each persons individual goals. At 220 I am not sure if I want to be 250. That’s alot of weight to carry around even if it’s mostly muscle.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback; it’s definitely given me some added perspective…

[quote]adamhum wrote:
I think your right and it all depends on each persons individual goals. At 220 I am not sure if I want to be 250. That’s alot of weight to carry around even if it’s mostly muscle.
[/quote]

I wasn’t sure I wanted to be 250 either. My original goal when I first started training was to just get to 180lbs. I seriously doubt that Ronnie Coleman had the original goal of weighing 300lbs. It was a progression. You train and as you notice your body respond, you keep pushing to see if you can go farther. Looking back though, I can see that never would have been satisfied at just 180lbs even though I remember hearing, “you’re getting big” even at that weight.

I wasn’t sure I wanted to be 250 either. My original goal when I first started training was to just get to 180lbs. I seriously doubt that Ronnie Coleman had the original goal of weighing 300lbs. It was a progression. You train and as you notice your body respond, you keep pushing to see if you can go farther. Looking back though, I can see that never would have been satisfied at just 180lbs even though I remember hearing, “you’re getting big” even at that weight.[/quote]

So, like someone said before in this thread, do you want to look good with your shirt on or off? Off is nice if your shirt is off frequently, that’s usually not the case unless your a lifegaurd.

so what do you recommend if someone is likely to be without shirt often? i live in florida and today is 82 degrees and its still winter and I am likely to have my shirt off alot all year.

[quote]020606 wrote:
so what do you recommend if someone is likely to be without shirt often? i live in florida and today is 82 degrees and its still winter and I am likely to have my shirt off alot all year.[/quote]

I am missing the logic here. If you are into BODYBUILDING, why would you be that worried about how you look with your shirt off until you actually build the muscle to show off? What do you mean by “what do you recommend”? I mean if you are on this site, perhaps you should put some quality time in the gym first before you start moaning over how good you look without a shirt. WTF?

[quote]adamhum wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I wasn’t sure I wanted to be 250 either. My original goal when I first started training was to just get to 180lbs. I seriously doubt that Ronnie Coleman had the original goal of weighing 300lbs. It was a progression. You train and as you notice your body respond, you keep pushing to see if you can go farther. Looking back though, I can see that never would have been satisfied at just 180lbs even though I remember hearing, “you’re getting big” even at that weight.

So, like someone said before in this thread, do you want to look good with your shirt on or off? Off is nice if your shirt is off frequently, that’s usually not the case unless your a lifegaurd.

[/quote]

The goal is to look good regardless. To get there requires some periods of carrying some extra body weight. If the process of gaining that muscle is too much for you, perhaps bodybuilding is not for you to begin with. The goal is not to be small and lean. Anyone can avoid eating until their abs show. It takes a shitload more work to carry a large amount of muscle mass while in that same condition and also some periods of carrying some extra weight to gain it.

I don’t cut, I do however “lean out” during rugby seasons. This is because of all the added cardio I have to do in-season. Added to the fact that I continue eating at the slightly above maintenance levels I normally eat at in the off-season, and I lose a few pounds of fat twice a year. Otherwise its all about getting bigger, just hit 205, looking to maintain 200 during the upcoming season, and then get to 215-220 by the end of the summer.

020606 wrote:
so what do you recommend if someone is likely to be without shirt often? i live in florida and today is 82 degrees and its still winter and I am likely to have my shirt off alot all year.

I am missing the logic here. If you are into BODYBUILDING, why would you be that worried about how you look with your shirt off until you actually build the muscle to show off? What do you mean by “what do you recommend”? I mean if you are on this site, perhaps you should put some quality time in the gym first before you start moaning over how good you look without a shirt. WTF?[/quote]

PMS?

[quote]Ren wrote:
I don’t cut, I do however “lean out” during rugby seasons. This is because of all the added cardio I have to do in-season. Added to the fact that I continue eating at the slightly above maintenance levels I normally eat at in the off-season, and I lose a few pounds of fat twice a year. Otherwise its all about getting bigger, just hit 205, looking to maintain 200 during the upcoming season, and then get to 215-220 by the end of the summer.[/quote]

For the Florida guy I would say if you already have the mass you want you should stay lean if you have your shirt off all the time. The goal of working out is to look good, not look like Alley McBeal.

To me it seems logical to cut or lean out if you think you have the desired amount of muscle mass. Depending on your genetics it seems like a bad idea to bulk for years on end, if your bulking you will gain fat and muscle. The existing fat on your body doesn’t help you gain muscle, only new calories do, so it make sense to lean out or cut periodically to keep your fat down. It’s a balancing act.

[quote]adamhum wrote:The existing fat on your body doesn’t help you gain muscle, only new calories do
[/quote]

This isn’t entirely true. Extra body weight, period, aids in leverage and that DOES help in the amount of weight lifted which helps in muscle gain.

adamhum wrote:The existing fat on your body doesn’t help you gain muscle, only new calories do

This isn’t entirely true. Extra body weight, period, aids in leverage and that DOES help in the amount of weight lifted which helps in muscle gain. [/quote]

Probably not enough to make a difference, I can see if your heavier you have more weight to lift which seems like you would be lifting less steel because some of your strength is being used to lift your fat.

I’ve seen huge guys who were weaker than screech from saved by the Bell.

Interesting info which I don’t discount.

Thanks…