How Often are You Really Hitting Rep PRs?

Do you guys stop at double the + set? i.e. 3+ week stop at 6 reps. I believe I remember Jim stating to do this.

I’m really having a difficult time stopping the AMRAP.

[quote]IronOne wrote:

Do you guys stop at double the + set? i.e. 3+ week stop at 6 reps. I believe I remember Jim stating to do this.

I’m really having a difficult time stopping the AMRAP.[/quote]

Me too, but I just finished my first three weeks (next week is deload). For my 1+ AMRAP sets I forced myself to stop at 7 with a couple of lifts (the other two I stopped at 6 reps knowing I wouldn’t make the 7th). But squats and military press I could have kept going on.

Granted, I’m new to the program and still working at 90% of my previous 1RM :slight_smile:

–Me

[quote]IronOne wrote:

I stop at 10 reps every week. I do it this way because I only keep track of my PRs between 1 and 10 reps. My limit is 10 because the 1RM calculators only work with the 1-10 rep range, and that is what I use to see if I’m progressing or not.

[quote]FurorDivinus wrote:

[quote]IronOne wrote:

I stop at 10 reps every week. I do it this way because I only keep track of my PRs between 1 and 10 reps. My limit is 10 because the 1RM calculators only work with the 1-10 rep range, and that is what I use to see if I’m progressing or not.[/quote]

Domt be afraid to push your squat in a higher rep range. If you squat 500x15-20, youd be a strong dude.

Thanks Jim

[quote]some_dude wrote:

after awhile you stop focusing on having a great day and aim to have a great month.[/quote]

It’s nice to see this echoed here. That’s been the biggest change for me as I’ve used 5/3/1 over the past couple of years: focusing on the bigger picture. Where do I want to be in 6 weeks? I get quizzical looks from some of the younger guys at my gym when I’ll stop a set well before I fail and they ask why I didn’t go for it or immediately throw more weight on the bar. “Live to fight another day”, I tell them. I’ve got my plan and I’m sticking to it because I trust my plan.

Jim, are you using 5/3/1 currently? What variation if so?

Are there any other accomplished PLs using 5/3/1 or its variations?

I’m struggling with progressing on bench and OHP and I’m fairly certain it’s due to lack of volume/frequency. Squat and DL are progressing fine.

I’m currently running original 5/3/1 with BBB 13 week challenge. The BBB helps, esp when I get down to the 5x5,3,1s.

I really think this variation is something I can run year around. It’s simple and to the point, which is what I like. I just need to get my bench progressing, and I don’t want to leave 5/3/1.

Any tips? I eat well.

Try different template for pressing movements? More frequency helps many (full-body for ex.).

[quote]IronOne wrote:

I’m struggling with progressing on bench and OHP and I’m fairly certain it’s due to lack of volume/frequency. Squat and DL are progressing fine.

I’m currently running original 5/3/1 with BBB 13 week challenge. The BBB helps, esp when I get down to the 5x5,3,1s.

I really think this variation is something I can run year around. It’s simple and to the point, which is what I like. I just need to get my bench progressing, and I don’t want to leave 5/3/1.

Any tips? I eat well.

[/quote]

Yes I do but as you can imagine, very limited. Obviously.

More isn’t better, better isn’t better. Lotsa Volume Queens out there but throwing shit against the wall doesn’t mean a lot will stick. I have dozens of variations out there - I’m guessing close to 100? Pressing 3-4 times a week.

My advice is this: you are searching in the wrong place for your problem.

Jim once wrote that after 10 years of lifting his bench finally started to take off.

Once that statement finally sunk in I stopped looking for quick fixes and settled in for the long haul.

As many times as I have read Jim’s books and postings, it is embarrassing how long it has taken me to fully grock the core principles of start too low and think truly long term. I finally got it this summer after getting sick of having my progress in squat continually stalled by something or other happening in my knees. I’d go for a rep record in my top set (which wouldn’t be much anyway), push for an AMRAP, and within a week or two my knees would be screaming, and I would start wondering “Is this what it means to be 42 years old?!?.”

So then I took inspiration from the 5’s PRO. All my squats are to a box. I set my works set WAY WAY “too low”–(as in my top work set was 135). I decided to cap my top set at 5 reps, no matter what, and swore off jokers. I added 5 pounds to my training max every week and no more (using 65/75/85 % TM each week). And I started to build endurance by pyramiding down, and going for reps on the 75% and 65% sets. For a couple of months, I had to suck up my pride as my wife was squatting more than me.

But week by week, the weight on the bar has gone up, and my knees feel the best they have in years. I’ve been setting rep records on my down sets, and I have just reached the point where my top set is a rep record, even with plenty of gas left in the tank. I know exactly what my plan is a week ahead of time, and I am fired up to go in and squat, hit a rep record, and look forward to doing the same thing the next week. At some point I’ll need to reset, and when I do–I’ll back the weight off “too much” and progress even more slowly. And I’ll keep doing that for the next 20 years…

The real trick comes in resetting before you need to as that is the real ego basher.

My experience:

• Weight starts getting heavy
  • form starts going in the shitter to get last reps in
  • Continue for 2 cycles re-enforcing shitty form
  • Finally admit defeat and reset
  • Go back to a weight which is already too heavy
  • Continue using shite form
  • Muscles used with good form no longer get stimulated, get weaker
  • Stall on first cycle
  • Bitch and moan and look for a new program

Rinse repeat.

[quote]websipe wrote:
As many times as I have read Jim’s books and postings, it is embarrassing how long it has taken me to fully grock the core principles of start too low and think truly long term. I finally got it this summer after getting sick of having my progress in squat continually stalled by something or other happening in my knees. I’d go for a rep record in my top set (which wouldn’t be much anyway), push for an AMRAP, and within a week or two my knees would be screaming, and I would start wondering “Is this what it means to be 42 years old?!?.”

So then I took inspiration from the 5’s PRO. All my squats are to a box. I set my works set WAY WAY “too low”–(as in my top work set was 135). I decided to cap my top set at 5 reps, no matter what, and swore off jokers. I added 5 pounds to my training max every week and no more (using 65/75/85 % TM each week). And I started to build endurance by pyramiding down, and going for reps on the 75% and 65% sets. For a couple of months, I had to suck up my pride as my wife was squatting more than me.

But week by week, the weight on the bar has gone up, and my knees feel the best they have in years. I’ve been setting rep records on my down sets, and I have just reached the point where my top set is a rep record, even with plenty of gas left in the tank. I know exactly what my plan is a week ahead of time, and I am fired up to go in and squat, hit a rep record, and look forward to doing the same thing the next week. At some point I’ll need to reset, and when I do–I’ll back the weight off “too much” and progress even more slowly. And I’ll keep doing that for the next 20 years…[/quote]

Thank you for sharing is, and I’ve had the exact same dilemma with squats, though I did have a legitimate sprain last fall that set me back too.

I’d also do a shout out to the 5 cycles forward, 3 cycles backward approach to increasing your long-term TM. I didn’t really “get it” till rather recently either.

[quote]websipe wrote:

But week by week, the weight on the bar has gone up, and my knees feel the best they have in years. I’ve been setting rep records on my down sets, and I have just reached the point where my top set is a rep record, even with plenty of gas left in the tank. I know exactly what my plan is a week ahead of time, and I am fired up to go in and squat, hit a rep record, and look forward to doing the same thing the next week. At some point I’ll need to reset, and when I do–I’ll back the weight off “too much” and progress even more slowly. And I’ll keep doing that for the next 20 years…[/quote]

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

[quote]IronOne wrote:

Any tips? I eat well.

Use FSL instead of BBB and do the FSL portion of the workout with the opposite lift. For example:

Monday: Bench, 531…OHP, FSL
Thursday: OHP, 531…Bench, FSL

You get more weekly exposure for each lift without adding volume for the sake of volume.

[/quote]

5-3-1 is the most encouraging program I’ve found. My rep PR’s keep me motivated. They don’t happen every time. But it’s fairly often. Got 330 for 9 reps last night on bench press.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]IronOne wrote:

Any tips? I eat well.

[/quote]

Yes I do but as you can imagine, very limited. Obviously.

More isn’t better, better isn’t better. Lotsa Volume Queens out there but throwing shit against the wall doesn’t mean a lot will stick. I have dozens of variations out there - I’m guessing close to 100? Pressing 3-4 times a week.

My advice is this: you are searching in the wrong place for your problem.
[/quote]

Thanks again Jim.

[quote]DanProsser wrote:

[quote]IronOne wrote:

Any tips? I eat well.

Use FSL instead of BBB and do the FSL portion of the workout with the opposite lift. For example:

You get more weekly exposure for each lift without adding volume for the sake of volume.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah this is what I do now, the alternate lift for the assistance. Hoping that cycling through the rep ranges will help provide needed stimulus.

Still, how do you refute the fact that to get better…you do eventually have to add volume…right?

[quote]IronOne wrote:

[quote]DanProsser wrote:

[quote]IronOne wrote:

Any tips? I eat well.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah this is what I do now, the alternate lift for the assistance. Hoping that cycling through the rep ranges will help provide needed stimulus.

Still, how do you refute the fact that to get better…you do eventually have to add volume…right?

[/quote]

Some swear by volume, but I have personally found that intensity and frequency are much bigger determining factors in the results you get from the main lifts. This is speaking from a powerlifting perspective/background.

Nope.