T Nation

How Not to Do An Exercise

Today I did hack squats for the first time. Normally if I were doing something for the first time I would take it slow, use light weights, and get the form down first. Not today. They just seemed so much like other exercises I’ve done I said “fuck it”.

I loaded the plates on, grabbed the bar, and began the first set of 3. Rep one was a little awkward and felt a lot heavier than I though it would, but I didn’t stop there. On rep two it felt like every muscle from my glutes to my traps was going to rip off my, and quads were a little stressed also. I really should have quit then. Rep three was just plain stupid, not sure why I did it. Sure did hurt though. I thought to myself “I really don’t like hack squats”

On set two I pulled off a bunch of weight and worked out the details of this diabolical exercise. Hopefully next week I will not be such a jackass. Damn the girls in tight work out clothes.

The best is when you fall over backwards after your last rep cause you are spent. In fact it’ll be happening to me in a few hours as I am finishing Workout A of CT’s Pillars of Strength program. Happy lifting!

LOL Flop! Funny story, man. Yeah, those hack squats can be tricky, especially when you’re going really heavy. At least you know better for next time! :slight_smile:

Sounds like a fun exercise, but what do you guys do about grip?

Girls do stupid things like that too. My friend once loaded so much weight on the leg press machine she had to use those safety pegs at the very bottom and then crawl out of the machine in humiliation. Once I was doing decline bench presses with way too much weight and I ended up stuck there, wondering if this was the end. Thankfully a guy walked past and I gasped “help!” and he pulled the bar off me with his pinkie. No, not quite, but it was still embarrassing.

Oh yeah, and that same friend toppled over while attempting overhead squats for the first time. She’s hilarious. She was so afraid she was going to have her membership revoked because the gym owner saw the whole thing.

[quote]NateN wrote:
Sounds like a fun exercise, but what do you guys do about grip?[/quote]

I just use a standard overhand grip like I use for any deadlift. I don’t believe in using mixed olympic grip… my philosophy is if I can’t lift the weight with a standard overhand, I’m using too much weight. Keep in mind, now that’s just me… there’s plenty of guys on here that will tell you a mixed olympic grip is the shizzle. And they’re aren’t wrong.

Loth, I understand your feeling about the whole grip issue and I don’t use straps. If I wasn’t such a cheap lazy shit though I would get some. Look at your forearms. Now look at your hamstrings. There’s no way your forearms should be able to keep up. Yeah, in the real world if you can’t hold it then you can’t lift it. However, if you are interested in building muscle there will come a point no matter how strong your grip you will need to use straps to progress.

I actually didn’t fall over tonight but I could have done more weight if I had straps. I was using 305 and I would venture that I could have gotten another 50-60 pounds at least off straps.

[quote]NateN wrote:
Sounds like a fun exercise, but what do you guys do about grip?[/quote]

I use a regular grip with light weight, I use a mixed grip with medium weight, and I use straps with heavier weights. Sometimes, you just have to use straps because your grip gives out, or in my case, it’s so damn hot in my garage, and I sweat so much, that I can’t hold the bar. I have chalk now, but when it’s time to go heavy, straps do come in handy.

Like apayne said, sometimes you have to forget about your “grip work” and use the straps to get bigger and stronger in the particular exercise you are using.

Well I feel better now knowing I’m not the only one. I’m looking forward to next weeks “hack squat” episode. I’m certain more fun will ensue.

Anyone else eat shit the first time they tried overhead squats? I’ll never forget that, and I’m sure everyone who saw me won’t forget it either…the bad part was I started with 135 and I thought that would be easy.

[quote]apayne wrote:
Loth, I understand your feeling about the whole grip issue and I don’t use straps. If I wasn’t such a cheap lazy shit though I would get some. Look at your forearms. Now look at your hamstrings. There’s no way your forearms should be able to keep up. Yeah, in the real world if you can’t hold it then you can’t lift it. However, if you are interested in building muscle there will come a point no matter how strong your grip you will need to use straps to progress.
[/quote]

Hearing ya, man. I did the strap/hook thing for a while, and I found that in my case, it was just a) a crutch I didn’t want to lean on anymore, b) something that made me go too heavy, because I knew I couldn’t drop the bar, and then I would find myself gigging my form in the name of more poundage on the bar.

What I do now is go nice and heavy with a weight that I can handle sans straps/gloves, and do many sets of low reps so that my grip doesn’t have a chance to give out. But like I said before, that’s just me.