How Much Would You Pay for a Truely Hardcore Gym?

depends on the gym. I’d give up my firstborn son to train at AKA.

Not much to be honest. I put down $30 a month for my gym. Never enough weights and a small weight section, but it’s got barbells, benches and a squat rack. For me, a rec trainer, it’s enough.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
All over the place, no periodization, no real peaking, having their guys do high rep olympic lifts (don’t see that as too safe), and no real plan.

Good for housewives. Not for guys looking to get in the ring.[/quote]

Not interested instarting a debate, nor am I a crossfitter. These are argumments that only work if the person prescribing the plan is a knowledgeless moron, which many of the crossfit coaches ted to be. From what I know, which seems to be a fair amount more than the shit talkers out there, a good knowledgable coach would be able to achieve great results with a motivated athlete and a crossfit program.

I’ve seen interviews with bulgarian olympic lifters who scoff at the premise that high rep o lifts are somehow inherently more dangerous than any other high rep multi joint movement. The way CF’s do them can be dangerous because so many of them advocate breakdown in form to keep the intensity up, which is just retarted.

To answer the orig. question. I think if you are looking at the fiscal breakdown of running a gym, your region has alot to do with it. I am in Seattle and the number of mma and bjj gyms is pretty slim and the cost of living is high. Most of the are going to run 120-180 a month for unlimited memberships. So if you are on the west coast or other high cost places out east, it would probably be a safe bet. Alot of these places will succeed on the reputation and quality of the owner/coach though

[quote]trip821 wrote:
So from what you’ve all said, it seems a gym needs to be designed to offer both group classes, individual coaching, and also the ability for members to come in as the please to perform their own workouts.[/quote]

This. Yes.

Regarding CrossFit - my gym also runs a CF gym next door. I did it for a while, the camraderie is really fun, and I loved doing something different every time. It helped my stamina. I quit doing it because some of the high rep workouts just wrecked me for too long afterward. The killer was a workout consisting solely of 150 wall balls. My legs were useless for several days afterward, which is a luxury I can’t afford, because I have to be able to teach.

My coach still creates CF style workouts for me & a friend, but tailors everything to our own needs, rather than the random daily workout posted online. I love hitting tires with sledgehammers, dragging the tires around, and playing death-catch with medicine balls. But its really just a fun diversion.

I get more good endurance training from the Bas Rutten heavybag workouts or combatives/conditioning classes. I also teach an all-male combatives/conditioning class, so I’d be happy to give you some lesson plans if you’d like, to get you off the ground.

[quote]SILVERDAN7 wrote:
Not interested instarting a debate, nor am I a crossfitter. These are argumments that only work if the person prescribing the plan is a knowledgeless moron, which many of the crossfit coaches ted to be. From what I know, which seems to be a fair amount more than the shit talkers out there, a good knowledgable coach would be able to achieve great results with a motivated athlete and a crossfit program.

I’ve seen interviews with bulgarian olympic lifters who scoff at the premise that high rep o lifts are somehow inherently more dangerous than any other high rep multi joint movement. The way CF’s do them can be dangerous because so many of them advocate breakdown in form to keep the intensity up, which is just retarted.
[/quote]

We’ve had the argument time and again, and I know what you’re saying. I’m sure with, as you said, a good crossfit coach, results would be different.

Of course, it isn’t particularly hard to get certified as a trainer for CF, and that waters down the pool big time.

And I still think the lack of periodization is key when you’re trying to peak at a certain time, for a certain fight. I can’t see how those workouts would ever give you a peak because of the randomness. If I’m incorrect, let me know.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]SILVERDAN7 wrote:

[/quote]

We’ve had the argument time and again, and I know what you’re saying. I’m sure with, as you said, a good crossfit coach, results would be different.

Of course, it isn’t particularly hard to get certified as a trainer for CF, and that waters down the pool big time.

And I still think the lack of periodization is key when you’re trying to peak at a certain time, for a certain fight. I can’t see how those workouts would ever give you a peak because of the randomness. If I’m incorrect, let me know.
[/quote]

Crossfit took a good core-concept and took it to the brotard extreme.

Who brags about giving your trainees rabdomiolisis, seriously.