T Nation

How Much Work for Back Maintenance?

Hey guys,

I’m taking it easier on pushing pulling movement after a hard block of them while I focus on my bench a bit.

I was wondering around about how much work is sufficient to maintain muscle/strength? Am looking at training back 1-2x per week and not pushing much.

Like would working up to a top set of 8 with a few reps in the tank on 3 movements be sufficient?

1 Like

Depends on what movements your using.

1 Like

Heavier movements: Barbell Seal Row, Dumbbell Seal Row, Chest Supported Row, Chin Ups, Pull Ups.

Maybe a few sets of face pulls, External Rotations and Rear delt flyes.

Ok I thought you ment the lower back. But what you have listed you will get the job done for upper.

I was more uncertain on how much work to do. Ten Sets I smash myself. Maybe one set and it’s not enough.

Go with the current rule thumb. Make sure your pulling volume is more then your pushing.

2 Likes

For one block it’s probably not a big deal. I wouldn’t keep this for the long haul though, 3 movements for an easy-ish set on a muscle group.that can take a lot of punishment probably isn’t a good long term strategy.

If you are feeling beat up, doing weaker movements for 3 sets is also an option. Straight arm pull-downs/Thib rows, strict meadows rows, super strict rear delt flyers, 5 second pause shrugs, etc.

1 Like

I honestly think it’s also about quality. Some days I’m pushed for time, so while I may occasionally use shorter rest periods, I always make sure every rep is quality. Good held contractions, good stretch, good form. The simple adage “use it or lose it” always applies to muscles, so if you’re making them work, and work hard (at least hard enough), you should be good.

S

2 Likes

1/3 of the volume that built you the muscle should be enough. Lyle McDonald has written some stuff on it. I myself have done it for weeks at a time when work has gotten hectic.

1 Like

Cory Everson was always very open about how little training she did post retirement. 3x/week and she maintained a ton of muscle.

S

2 Likes

Form wise if I leave a rep or two in the tank or go to “perfect technique failure” I will be able to keep Rep quality up there

Not maths. I’m bad at that lol

Going off those numbers maybe 2 working sets per workout/movement sounds about right.