How Much Whey?

I’m 16 years old, i weigh and 140 pounds at around 5 foot 9. I work out like 5 times a week(pretty hardcore). I take 250 ML of green tea with 100ML of orange juice, 150 ML of water and some weigh in a water bottle once in the morning before breaky and once for during workout. Considering that my workouts get me ripped farily well. I was wondering if any of you guys could maybe give me an estimate of how much whey i should include in my shakes. For the past couple months iv’e been adding about 1 tablespoon of whey per shake and ive found that wasn’t enough. How much weigh should i include in each shake roughly, taking into account my weight and age? How much do you guys take in ur shakes? Any info would be great, thanks.

You need large amounts of protein to build muscle. Your muscles are starving and using their own protein… no gains. Try 100gr of protein before working out and same later for recovery and growth. You need more carbs to burn when working out, otherwise your muscles become fuel and no gains. See how that works for you and go from there.

The pro’s here are going to tell you to learn how to eat and to understand nutrition.

100 grams? Isn’t that a bit excessive before you lift?

If your workouts are really intense, and on point as you let on, you are going to need about 200 grams of protein a day.

Whey isn’t the end all and be all answer. It is a help, but not the trump card. You need to get at least half if not more of the protein from whole food sources. Get acquainted with milk, tuna, chicken, steak, peanut butter and other natural protein sources.

You also have to be hitting calories to build muscle. Find Berardi’s Guide for Massive Eating on this site. It will help you out.

Some may undercut my protein number, if you choose to listen to them that is up to you. However being 16, more in my opinion is better.

Someone starting a funny nutrition thread when they WHEY 140 pounds? NO WHEY!

That’s 2, in sequence. Beat that, hotshots.

Dude you only WHEY 140 if you WHEYed 160 then it would be ok to take more WHEY, any WHEY good luck.

n3wb

but realy take as much whey as you want worst case senario you gain weight from the added calories

This whole thread gives me a headache. I’d have to go out of my whey to come up with an adequate response. Oh well, you could do it this whey or that whey, or any whey you like, or … oh hell:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

[quote]RayFinkle wrote:
I’m 16 years old, i weigh and 140 pounds at around 5 foot 9. I work out like 5 times a week(pretty hardcore).[/quote]

When you figure out the inconsistencies in the above two sentences, you’ll be on your whey [sic] to better gains.

You guys are being whey too hard on this poor wheyf. Just let him whey his weigh and way in later when he’s back on his whey.

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
If your workouts are really intense, and on point as you let on, you are going to need about 200 grams of protein a day.

Whey isn’t the end all and be all answer. It is a help, but not the trump card. You need to get at least half if not more of the protein from whole food sources. Get acquainted with milk, tuna, chicken, steak, peanut butter and other natural protein sources.

You also have to be hitting calories to build muscle. Find Berardi’s Guide for Massive Eating on this site. It will help you out.

Some may undercut my protein number, if you choose to listen to them that is up to you. However being 16, more in my opinion is better. [/quote]

The only reason he would NEED 200 g/p would be to meet caloric needs. Certainly not for synthesis and muscle growth.

[quote]KSman wrote:
You need large amounts of protein to build muscle. Your muscles are starving and using their own protein… no gains. Try 100gr of protein before working out and same later for recovery and growth. You need more carbs to burn when working out, otherwise your muscles become fuel and no gains. See how that works for you and go from there.

The pro’s here are going to tell you to learn how to eat and to understand nutrition.[/quote]

If you listen to none of the above you would be better off than trying to figure out what may at least pass as reasonable information.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
KSman wrote:

The pro’s here are going to tell you to learn how to eat and to understand nutrition.

If you listen to none of the above you would be better off than trying to figure out what may at least pass as reasonable information.[/quote]

OK, you’re a smart guy and I don’t remember having a rough time understanding one of your posts before, but what are you saying in relation to the quote? Or is the quote just meant as a sampling of the whole thread. It sounds like you’re saying there may be some useful tidbits in there, but the distillation process may be more than it’s worth.

Did I miss something in my education, or is 1.5 grams per pound of body weight no longer a valid answer to the how much protein do I need question? If its not the correct answer please don’t tell me that because I’m making awesome progress using it…

I’d rather give him a little over, so if he goes under he is still in an acceptable range, rather than give him bare mimimums and baselines, so if he falls short he doesn’t have enough.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
The only reason he would NEED 200 g/p would be to meet caloric needs. Certainly not for synthesis and muscle growth.[/quote]