T Nation

How Much Whey?

I watched a youtube video by the Hodgetwins, pretty popular guys on there. They were talking about how they’re in a bulk and they took 6 scoops of ON 100% whey gold standard a day. I only take 5 scoops a week, 2 tuesday morning, 2 thursday morning, and 1 saturday or sunday morning. My post workouts are MHP Dark Matter and immediately after that MHP up your mass. Will taking big amounts of whey like that be more effective in size/strength gains?

Well yeah, it’s protein. However I think you should try to get most of your protein from solid foods and “supplement” your diet with whey. I usually take 2 scoops a day but I’ll throw in another one if I feel like I haven’t eaten enough meat or whatnot.

I’ve always wondered if it’s bad to take more than 2-4 scoops though so I would love to hear people’s opinions.

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
I watched a youtube video by the Hodgetwins, pretty popular guys on there. They were talking about how they’re in a bulk and they took 6 scoops of ON 100% whey gold standard a day.

…Will taking big amounts of whey like that be more effective in size/strength gains? [/quote]
Less effective than eating real food but more effective than no food.

Yeah i know what you mean. I try to actually get food instead of subbing it with a shake. I think I should take more on off days though since I won’t be taking up your mass since there was no workout. Think 2 scoops in the morning and 1 later in the day is good?

I think for every question you ask, you need to destrominate a big fuck off steak. Soon, you’ll be a rig, and educated at the same time

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
I watched a youtube video by the Hodgetwins, pretty popular guys on there. They were talking about how they’re in a bulk and they took 6 scoops of ON 100% whey gold standard a day.

…Will taking big amounts of whey like that be more effective in size/strength gains? [/quote]
Less effective than eating real food but more effective than no food.[/quote]

not true.

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
I watched a youtube video by the Hodgetwins, pretty popular guys on there. They were talking about how they’re in a bulk and they took 6 scoops of ON 100% whey gold standard a day.

…Will taking big amounts of whey like that be more effective in size/strength gains? [/quote]
Less effective than eating real food but more effective than no food.[/quote]
not true.[/quote]
Below me Ryan, this argument is below me.

They’re both big on supplements. My concern with consuming such a high level of ON protein would be more health-related. Have a look at the ingredients list; I don’t know if I’d want to take in so much alkali-processed cocoa, sunflower oil and modified food starch in one day.

[quote]02Thief wrote:
I think for every question you ask, you need to destrominate a big fuck off steak. Soon, you’ll be a rig, and educated at the same time[/quote]
What is this… “fuck off steak” you’re workin at?

Well, I’ll break it down for you:

  1. Find steak
  2. Weigh steak
  3. If under 1lb, replace steak with larger steak
  4. Cook steak
  5. ???
  6. Profit

got ya, sounds fine to me. and soon I’ll be a “rig” you said?? Never heard that one before

Lol yeah must be an Aussie thing. Rig = huge and jacked

I’m gonna distill the essence out of a steak and drink that as a supplement

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
I watched a youtube video by the Hodgetwins, pretty popular guys on there. They were talking about how they’re in a bulk and they took 6 scoops of ON 100% whey gold standard a day.

…Will taking big amounts of whey like that be more effective in size/strength gains? [/quote]
Less effective than eating real food but more effective than no food.[/quote]
not true.[/quote]
Below me Ryan, this argument is below me. [/quote]

With Ryan on this, you have a source for your argument? Any evidence whatsoever? Genuinely curious if this is just your opinion or if you can direct us to some research that would back that up. I have yet to read a study that says processed whey protein sources are less effective than ‘real food’ at building muscle, and my personal experience also contradicts this.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
I watched a youtube video by the Hodgetwins, pretty popular guys on there. They were talking about how they’re in a bulk and they took 6 scoops of ON 100% whey gold standard a day.

…Will taking big amounts of whey like that be more effective in size/strength gains? [/quote]
Less effective than eating real food but more effective than no food.[/quote]
not true.[/quote]
Below me Ryan, this argument is below me. [/quote]
With Ryan on this, you have a source for your argument? Any evidence whatsoever? Genuinely curious if this is just your opinion or if you can direct us to some research that would back that up. I have yet to read a study that says processed whey protein sources are less effective than ‘real food’ at building muscle, and my personal experience also contradicts this.[/quote]
Yep, that’s exactly what I thought this would turn into.

I was simply advising a noob lifter to eat quality real food over refined powders. Personally I think advising otherwise is asinine, but each to their own.

If you guys want to have yet another rendition of “Real food vs. Powders” you can do it w/o me, as I have already stated.

[quote]JLone wrote:
Below me Ryan, this argument is below me. [/quote]
With Ryan on this, you have a source for your argument? Any evidence whatsoever? Genuinely curious if this is just your opinion or if you can direct us to some research that would back that up. I have yet to read a study that says processed whey protein sources are less effective than ‘real food’ at building muscle, and my personal experience also contradicts this.[/quote]
Yep, that’s exactly what I thought this would turn into.

I was simply advising a noob lifter to eat quality real food over refined powders. Personally I think advising otherwise is asinine, but each to their own.

If you guys want to have yet another rendition of “Real food vs. Powders” you can do it w/o me, as I have already stated. [/quote]

My personal experience contradicts your personal experience. (27yrs. on my end)
If you or anyone else believes that drinking most of your protein in powder form is equal to, or more effective than solid food you are dead wrong. Many lifters may make several years of progress like that, but there will be a limit, and it will be well below your potential.

From there you will have to learn how to eat properly to continue forward. Using supplements can certainly ‘round out’ a lifter’s nutrition, and fill gaps in a pinch. When they are used exclusively for convenience sake; one should understand the trade-off they are making. People that are lazy in the kitchen are usually lazy in the gym!
The path of least resistance is the course water takes while traveling down hill; not how a man should lead his life.

BlueCollar, I’ve been wanting to ask: what does a day of eating look like for you?

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
BlueCollar, I’ve been wanting to ask: what does a day of eating look like for you?[/quote]

Mon.-Fri. Training Day: (50 yrs old this summer)
250g protein
20g powder preworkout
40g powder postworkout
250g carbohydrate (100% carbs counted)
25g fresh fruit in am
15g gatorade powder preworkout
30g waxy maize powder postworkout
140g Fat

That would be my basic M-F template. When I don’t train I omit the pre & post workout calories.
Starting with dinner on Friday and ending with dinner on Saturday I will add starches to my meals. During ‘surplus’ periods I may add some starches (30-40g) to the meals that precede and follow a heavy lifting day and will eat sweets and deserts occasionally. During ‘restricted’ periods I will only schedule one meal ‘window’ per week with starches; but will eat more depending on bodycomp goals and performance. This is how I eat now; not how I ate when I was younger and growing.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
I watched a youtube video by the Hodgetwins, pretty popular guys on there. They were talking about how they’re in a bulk and they took 6 scoops of ON 100% whey gold standard a day.

…Will taking big amounts of whey like that be more effective in size/strength gains? [/quote]
Less effective than eating real food but more effective than no food.[/quote]
not true.[/quote]
Below me Ryan, this argument is below me. [/quote]
With Ryan on this, you have a source for your argument? Any evidence whatsoever? Genuinely curious if this is just your opinion or if you can direct us to some research that would back that up. I have yet to read a study that says processed whey protein sources are less effective than ‘real food’ at building muscle, and my personal experience also contradicts this.[/quote]
Yep, that’s exactly what I thought this would turn into.

I was simply advising a noob lifter to eat quality real food over refined powders. Personally I think advising otherwise is asinine, but each to their own.

If you guys want to have yet another rendition of “Real food vs. Powders” you can do it w/o me, as I have already stated. [/quote]

whats there to debate? 30g of protein from stake has no proven superiority to 30g of protein from whey.

If I could afford to eat large steaks every day I just probably use that money to solve other problems. I prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them but when I’m eating a giant salad or a bowl of green beans then I chase that with a shake.