T Nation

How Much Weight?

How much weight do you really lift ?

Do you need heavy weights to get big ?

At what point in ones routine does more weight = less form and associated problems.

I know what I think, to most its a numbers game, I just read a whole post about calling BS on some guys numbers which made me think.

Discuss.

you can perform any lift/exercise with bad technique with low or heavy intensity.

heavy weight never necessarily requires bad form. your question makes no sense.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
you can perform any lift/exercise with bad technique with low or heavy intensity.

heavy weight never necessarily requires bad form. your question makes no sense.[/quote]

Thanks for fucking up this thread you little prick.

Whilst you may know something about training, your manner and attitude stinks and you are just a short angry bloke, go give yer head a shake lad.

I’ll use a percent of rep max- 60,80,90, or whatever the format that I’m following calls for.

If form breaks down I will back off though, and start to include what ever I have to to stabilize the movement.

I’ve had some bad injuries as a result of letting form degrade, so I’m a stickler for it. I’ve also noticed that the higher the weight, the quicker an injury occurs.

My own form that is. I could give a crap less what range or form other people practice.

i repeat, your question makes no sense.

are you trying to state the obvious? that ‘showmen’ at the gym try to lift more weight than they handle by compromising technique and lifting with poor form?

anyone who’s trained at any commercial or school gym for longer than a week has seen the preoverbial peacock spreading it wings, albeit with bad technique.

don’t know if i’ve said this, yet: your question makes no sense.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
I’ll use a percent of rep max- 60,80,90, or whatever the format that I’m following calls for.

If form breaks down I will back off though, and start to include what ever I have to to stabilize the movement.

I’ve had some bad injuries as a result of letting form degrade, so I’m a stickler for it. I’ve also noticed that the higher the weight, the quicker an injury occurs.

My own form that is. I could give a crap less what range or form other people practice.
[/quote]

That’s the sort of interesting answer I was after. Seems my post made sense to you even if it eluded Huey.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
i repeat, your question makes no sense.

are you trying to state the obvious? that ‘showmen’ at the gym try to lift more weight than they handle by compromising technique and lifting with poor form?

anyone who’s trained at any commercial or school gym for longer than a week has seen the preoverbial peacock spreading it wings, albeit with bad technique.

don’t know if i’ve said this, yet: your question makes no sense[/quote]

Stand up, go outside, breathe in air, feel calm. Be friendly. You are very angry.

Also, to address the heavy weights to get big- I did.(not to get big, still not “big”, but make gains)

It was one of those noob things that had to get broken. I was pushing as hard as I thought I should, but wasn’t getting any results.

I started lifting with a few more competative, driving lifting partners, and pushing harder than I thought I should to keep up with them.

Thats when the gains started.

[quote]Dr Stig wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
i repeat, your question makes no sense.

are you trying to state the obvious? that ‘showmen’ at the gym try to lift more weight than they handle by compromising technique and lifting with poor form?

anyone who’s trained at any commercial or school gym for longer than a week has seen the preoverbial peacock spreading it wings, albeit with bad technique.

don’t know if i’ve said this, yet: your question makes no sense

Stand up, go outside, breathe in air, feel calm. Be friendly. You are very angry.

[/quote]

GRRrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! RRRRAAAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr!!!