How Much Volume is Too Much?

for a large muscle group that should usually be blasted in order to stimulate hypertrophy, how much volume is too much volume? I’ve been doing about 25-30 sets (with varying reps, but usually 8-12) for most exercises whenever i train chest and about 25 whenever i train legs.

in the past, i was under the impression that doing such a large amount of volume wasn’t necessarily counter intuitive but that at a certain point, i would be wasting time in the gym and those extra sets wouldn’t actually help me grow. i don’t mind that to be honest…i was under the impression that i wasn’t over training as long as i give myself enough recovery time and enough recovery nutrition. is this true? am i over training? someone clear this up for me.

30 sets for every muscle group combined with unbalanced training helped give me a pinched nerve in the shoulder/neck…but then again i was already doomed.

Are you recovering? seeing progress size/strength wise? How do you feel outside the gym and for your workouts?

Volume isnt black and white, some ppl swear by very minimal, some swear by super lots.

Its more personal to you IMO

Never too much volume

Turn that shit up

Counting sets is pointless. It’s like trying to approximate the amount of turd your body has produced to properly time your bowel movement. You wan’t that “I’m gonna go take a poop and read the paper” feeling, not that “I’m gonna shit my pants if I don’t find a bathroom” feeling.

You also don’t want the dissatisfaction of “well I’m trying to get laid tonight, so lemme try to go now (only to find out that you jumped the gun in your endeavor to clear out the ol’ bowels)”.

As long as the amount of ‘work’ being done is supported by your diet and recovery aspects, you’ll progress.

‘Work’ can be achieved via higher volume, or lower volume. It really is an individual thing. I do much more volume now than in years past, but my diet and recovery are better. Only you can determine what is truly considered too much. In such a case, you may not merely not make progress, but actually lose ground.

S

[quote]zonaguy10 wrote:
Counting sets is pointless. It’s like trying to approximate the amount of turd your body has produced to properly time your bowel movement. You wan’t that “I’m gonna go take a poop and read the paper” feeling, not that “I’m gonna shit my pants if I don’t find a bathroom” feeling. You also don’t want the dissatisfaction of “well I’m trying to get laid tonight, so lemme try to go now (only to find out that you jumped the gun in your endeavor to clear out the ol’ bowels)”.[/quote]

wtf

If you are getting stronger/growing you are doing the right amount, and if all other factors are in check your body will adapt to whatever you throw at it.

I would not particularly worry about the actual number of sets. Personally i hit a body part (covering all angles/parts) until i have a full pump/pump starts to fade. If i pick an exercise and am not getting a good pump/feel i finish the set and move on no matter how many sets i was suppose to do.

Your body’s feedback is more important than any “x” number of sets.

[quote]zonaguy10 wrote:
Counting sets is pointless. It’s like trying to approximate the amount of turd your body has produced to properly time your bowel movement. You wan’t that “I’m gonna go take a poop and read the paper” feeling, not that “I’m gonna shit my pants if I don’t find a bathroom” feeling.

You also don’t want the dissatisfaction of “well I’m trying to get laid tonight, so lemme try to go now (only to find out that you jumped the gun in your endeavor to clear out the ol’ bowels)”.[/quote]

brilliant analogy