How Much Volume Do You Need?

I’ve been liftin for about 5 years and have been doin high volume liftin (20 sets for most muscles , 32-40 per day) for about a year now. I have been gaining more that i ever have but most people tell me I should lift less! I dont know whether I should keep up the long (3 hours +) workouts, with lots of sets, or decrease to 12 or 16 sets per muscle.

Am I overtraining? How many sets are ideal for a program that works 2 muscle groups (example: biceps, triceps) a day (5 days a week)? Any responses and tips would be helpful, im open to any suggestions.

[quote]riskthis311 wrote:
I’ve been liftin for about 5 years and have been doin high volume liftin (20 sets for most muscles , 32-40 per day) for about a year now. I have been gaining more that i ever have but most people tell me I should lift less! I dont know whether I should keep up the long (3 hours +) workouts, with lots of sets, or decrease to 12 or 16 sets per muscle.

Am I overtraining? How many sets are ideal for a program that works 2 muscle groups (example: biceps, triceps) a day (5 days a week)? Any responses and tips would be helpful, im open to any suggestions.[/quote]

don’t listen to them. If you are growing and feel great, then you aren’t overtraining. nuff said.

If what you’re doing right now works well, keep at it. You’ve been training 5 years, so you definitely know your body better than other people. Decide for yourself, based on past experience, what works well and what doesn’t.

If it aint broke dont fix it
Phill

Many factors come into play. Experiment and find what works for you. 40 total intense work sets per week works best for me. I use to do 30 to 40 sets per workout but stagnated pretty quickly. For me, less is best.

Ok, Thanks for the advice, I think i’m goin to stick with the high volume unless my gains start stagnating. And maybe lower the sets per exercise from 4 to 3 and shoot for more intensity…