T Nation

How Much Tuna Is Safe?

I wanted to know if eating cans of tuna are safe. I was reading at some magazine that people should eat like 2 per week cuz of the murcury levels in it were pretty high.
I eat 2-3 per day!
please give me some feedback on this topic!
can’s of tuna are my main protein source!

Been covered a ton bro in articles and threads do a search. In short still up in the air largely BUT in general I feel its safe usually the smaller tuna are used for canning etc and have lower merc. levels.

Your going to get many differing opinions on both side though

Phill

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=753983

Personally, I prefer canned, wild caught, Alaskan red Salmon. I think it tastes a lot better and it has a much higher omega 3 content.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Personally, I prefer canned, wild caught, Alaskan red Salmon. I think it tastes a lot better and it has a much higher omega 3 content.
[/quote]

But some of us are broke and have to go with the cheep stuff.

if you have trader joe’s-- salmon is $2 a can and has about 8g more protein than a can of tuna. not bad

…can’t beat the price of 99 cent ‘chicken of the sea’ though

At one point I was eating about 5 cans per week for 3 months, no negative effects. I have a feeling full grown men shouldn’t have a problem with tuna unless it is in completely unreasonable amounts.

[quote]BigAlSwede wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Personally, I prefer canned, wild caught, Alaskan red Salmon. I think it tastes a lot better and it has a much higher omega 3 content.

But some of us are broke and have to go with the cheep stuff.[/quote]

The poster never implied that he had trouble affording food. If you can’t afford salmon, then tuna is just fine.

I believe tuna is totally cool to consume in a relatively large quantity. I’ve been eating tuna religiously for about 4 years (how long I’ve been lifting for) and I’m 20 now. But whenever I head to my Drs I just ask him to do some blood tests and check up on everything and I’ve had no problems. If you are sorta sketched out by the mercury thing I think your best bet would be to cut the amount of tuna you’ve been eating by half and replace the other half with salmon.

[quote]dexslave wrote:
if you have trader joe’s-- salmon is $2 a can and has about 8g more protein than a can of tuna. not bad

…can’t beat the price of 99 cent ‘chicken of the sea’ though[/quote]

I can usually find it for 50 cents/can. Sometimes less on sale.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
BigAlSwede wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Personally, I prefer canned, wild caught, Alaskan red Salmon. I think it tastes a lot better and it has a much higher omega 3 content.

But some of us are broke and have to go with the cheep stuff.

The poster never implied that he had trouble affording food. If you can’t afford salmon, then tuna is just fine.[/quote]

I know, I was just kinda goofing around. Besides, I like salmon better myself as well. The price of tuna usually wins over though.

thanks for the answers!
just to clarify…
2 cans everyday is fine?

If you can spend the extra $$$, just buy the organic canned tuna from whole foods. No mercury there.

[quote]Matty_79 wrote:
I wanted to know if eating cans of tuna are safe. I was reading at some magazine that people should eat like 2 per week cuz of the murcury levels in it were pretty high.
I eat 2-3 per day!
please give me some feedback on this topic!
can’s of tuna are my main protein source![/quote]

I personally wouldn’t eat the can, but it is whatever floats your boat.

I think tuna is disgusting. I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about it.

[quote]Matty_79 wrote:
thanks for the answers!
just to clarify…
2 cans everyday is fine?[/quote]

2 cans per day is a bit much. But if your going to take a chance at least stay away from solid white or chunk light, they have more mercury.