How Much Sugar Is A Lot?

Hey guys,
how many grams sugar do you consider to be too much for a regular (non-pwo) meal assuming a 2000 cal. diet with 40g protein a meal?

Uh… Are you going to mix teaspoons of sugar into water or something? Or like eat the sugar from a spoon?

Do you mean carbs? I’m not being flip. I am genuinely confused.

no, i mean sugar. I ask becuase I use natural protein powders so instead of surcalose or ace-k extra sugar is added.

When I use the protein powder sometimes I wonder if it would be better to use meat, eggs or fish when I eat meals that are higher in sugar, fat or other carbs instead of using the powder.

You shouldn’t use the powder to replace eggs/meat and other protein sources. Instead, after you meet your caloric needs and are in a defecit of protein you should use powder to make up the rest. If you focus on foods that don’t have a lot of added sugar the extra from the powder shouldn’t be a problem at all.

[quote]Skrussian wrote:
You shouldn’t use the powder to replace eggs/meat and other protein sources. Instead, after you meet your caloric needs and are in a defecit of protein you should use powder to make up the rest. If you focus on foods that don’t have a lot of added sugar the extra from the powder shouldn’t be a problem at all.[/quote]

I try to get about 280g protein a day and I can’t get that all from raw foods. I’m confused about what you’re saying- when you say after I meet my caloric needs and are protein defecit what do you mean? seems contradictory.

[quote]P1 wrote:
Skrussian wrote:
You shouldn’t use the powder to replace eggs/meat and other protein sources. Instead, after you meet your caloric needs and are in a defecit of protein you should use powder to make up the rest. If you focus on foods that don’t have a lot of added sugar the extra from the powder shouldn’t be a problem at all.

I try to get about 280g protein a day and I can’t get that all from raw foods. I’m confused about what you’re saying- when you say after I meet my caloric needs and are protein defecit what do you mean? seems contradictory. [/quote]

He’s saying don’t live off protein powder. Eat real food.

[quote]P1 wrote:
no, i mean sugar. I ask becuase I use natural protein powders so instead of surcalose or ace-k extra sugar is added.[/quote]

Since protein powder isn’t natural, how can you have a natural protein powder?

Sticking a few cholrine atoms on a molecule isn’t really a whole lot more unnatural than milking a cow, making cheese from that milk, taking the whey from the cheese making and then processing the whey into powder, pasturizing it, etc.

[quote]rg73 wrote:
P1 wrote:
no, i mean sugar. I ask becuase I use natural protein powders so instead of surcalose or ace-k extra sugar is added.

Sticking a few cholrine atoms on a molecule isn’t really a whole lot more unnatural than milking a cow, making cheese from that milk, taking the whey from the cheese making and then processing the whey into powder, pasturizing it, etc.
[/quote]

“natural” protein powder means it has no artifical sweetners or colors.

Use stevia instead of sugar. Regarding whey, although it is processed in powder, whey does occur naturally - for example you can scoop whey off the top of cottage cheese and natural yogurt, so in theory you could collect whey and drink 30g without processing.

[quote]rg73 wrote:
P1 wrote:

[/quote]

There’s a bbaas flower found in the jungle in equador thats pollen is a natural protein powder.

lol does anyone have any opinions on how many g’s of sugar are alot?

[quote]P1 wrote:
lol does anyone have any opinions on how many g’s of sugar are alot?[/quote]

It all depends on your goals, the source, the other foods/nutrients consumed at the same time, and how your body handles simple sugars. In other words, there is no simple answer.

In general is best to minimize the consumption of highly processed foods where high sugar content is typically found. However, how far YOU need to go to do this depends on all the factors above.

By the way, it’s “a lot,” not “alot.”

[quote]P1 wrote:
lol does anyone have any opinions on how many g’s of sugar are alot?[/quote]

about 10% of your caloric intake max. so for 2,000 cals that would be roughly 50 grams. That’s the government recommendation. So you should probably shoot for much less than that.