T Nation

How much sodium?

This may be a dumb question, but I know you wanna keep sodium pretty low, but how low do you want it to be? This is for daily intake.

I wouldn’t worry about the actual grams of sodium you take in a day. Of course, b/c everyone’s different based on evolutionary past and activity level, heat, humidity, etc of environment. What you should concern yourself with is the ratio of K+:Na+. You’d probably want to keep it in the range of >600:1. I’ve read that our anscestors (hunter-gathereres) took in a ratio of near 5000:1

So just make sure you’re taking in way more potassium (K+) than sodium and the balance will fine.

M

You don’t want your sodium intake to be too low. Sodium is actually very important to the body, as are other minerals.

Don’t restrict your sodium. This is a very commen misconception. I suggest you actually keep your sodium intake high.

As far as maintaining a balance in your diet between sodium and potassium, don’t worry about that either. Your body will take care of that balance itself.

Do a search on sodium. Joel and myself have both posted on this subject.

Thx alot guys…I really appreciate your feedback :slight_smile: