How Much Should My Bench Be?

As the topics says im 14 and I weight 215 @ 5’11". But im only benching 135 and 145 max my squat is 245 max and im pretty worried about my bench. Any help would be appriciated.

How much should it be?? Thats relative and has nothing to do with your squat or the guy next to you or his friend etc. It should be better each week better then the last time. Some ppl are built to bench better some arent we all have to work hard to improve.

You might read overcoming lousy leverages by Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey

Phill

You’re 14, you shouldn’t be focusing on being able to say DUDE I CAN BENCH MORE THAN YOU. Actually, you shouldn’t ever really strive to say that unless you’re a powerlifter. Work on your whole body train for another year and then ask “am I as strong as I should be for having trained this long?”

Given that you are 14 and already 215 lbs I would say you might want to focus on getting in as good of shape as possible ie conditioning. Strength is a part of that but not the only part so make sure you are doing some cardio or conditioning work, don’t specialize until you get older.

Since you asked about strength, certainly a reasonable goal for most males that workout is to be able to bench their bodyweight, that isn’t really strong but it isn’t weak either. Good news is you will definitely get stronger as you get older.

[quote]BIG G MAN wrote:
As the topics says im 14 and I weight 215 @ 5’11". But im only benching 135 and 145 max my squat is 245 max and im pretty worried about my bench. Any help would be appriciated.[/quote]

You are only 14.Your bench is fine.
Your squat is good which is way more important than bench for overall strength.
Keep training hard and as you mature,you will get much stronger.

[quote]BALBO wrote:
BIG G MAN wrote:
As the topics says im 14 and I weight 215 @ 5’11". But im only benching 135 and 145 max my squat is 245 max and im pretty worried about my bench. Any help would be appriciated.

Keep training hard and as you mature,you will get much stronger.[/quote]

No, squat isn’t “way more important for overall strength”. It’s important for lower-body strength, while bench is important for front-upper-body strength. Neither is more “important” than the other.

[quote]Misterhamper wrote:
BALBO wrote:
BIG G MAN wrote:

Keep training hard and as you mature,you will get much stronger.

No, squat isn’t “way more important for overall strength”. It’s important for lower-body strength, while bench is important for front-upper-body strength. Neither is more “important” than the other.[/quote]

I would say, given the two choices, I would definitely say that having a powerful squat will make you a more powerful athlete than having a powerful bench press. Squatting will, to some extent, build some upper body strength, particularly in the low back and a small amount in the shoulders.

Overhead squats? Now thats a completely different animal.

As an athlete, the squat would be the more important number.

[quote]BIG G MAN wrote:
As the topics says im 14 and I weight 215 @ 5’11". But im only benching 135 and 145 max my squat is 245 max and im pretty worried about my bench. Any help would be appriciated.[/quote]

Then I met a man who had no arms.

As Skrussian said, you shouldn’t ever worry about what you bench relative to others, you only compete with yourself. Just keep at it and be patient and it will amaze you how you will improve.

In 10 years when you are benching 750, this will make a nice story.

[quote]Arms Afire wrote:
BIG G MAN wrote:

Then I met a man who had no arms.

As Skrussian said, you shouldn’t ever worry about what you bench relative to others, you only compete with yourself. Just keep at it and be patient and it will amaze you how you will improve.

In 10 years when you are benching 750, this will make a nice story.[/quote]

Ditto!

Dame 14 years old and worrying about what his bench is. . .

when I was 14 I worried how Buck Rogers and Wilma Deering was going to get out of trouble.

Condition yourself rather than try and gain mass. Do alot of cardio. Lose that blubber and add abit of weight training in. BUt cardio first.

Here’s an article that will give you good strength goals.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1563264

^ I understand that article is difficult to write and by all means was merely stated as his ‘general’ opinion but I find those numbers are useless. It may mean something to one guy of good proportions and mean a little if anything to smaller or larger people.

The real question I ask is with myself. Furthermore, I think the amount of what you can lift, whether it be decent, good, or great should be determined by your own body weight.

For example,

Guy A can squat 220 lbs &
Guy B can squat 190 lbs.

How could you possible classify anyone on these numbers? Say Guy A is 250lbs and Guy B is 145lbs. Then really who is achieving better results?

Don’t worry about relativity to others. 145 is certainly not a low bench for your average 14 year old, but if you weigh 215 and are 5’11 I’d say you should focus on some conditioning work. Do lots of cardio/fat burning and don’t pay attention to how your bench compares to others. Burn some fat and work hard and you’ll be fine. Also, I don’t know what your eating habits are like but if you eat a lot of junk food try to cut back a little bit on it. But please don’t interpret that as stop eating, you know just lean less towards sweets.

5’11" and 215lbs. at age 14 means your a pretty big young man. It also means that maybe you’ve seen the early maturing 150lb. 14 year old bench maybe 185. Don’t sweat it. As the father of some pretty big boys myself, (my two youngest are age 16, 6’4" 255lbs., 335 bench, 25 reps at 185, and my 13 year old is 6’6", 185. We just started to lift with him.)I suggest that you find someone intelligent and experienced to show you how to work out, focus on proper technique, recovery, eating correctly, sleeping adequetely, and forget the poundage, just do what you do CONSISTENTLY, over an EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. Your gonna be a big one.

Mike

benching is all about the numbers game and doesn’t matter in the long run. Sure, Roman Pudzianowski can put up 600, but does he have an aesthetically pleasing body? No. Worry about the form, the numbers come later. It’s ridiculous that our society these days measures “how in shape you are” by how much you can bench.

On a side note, you guys ever notice how much people lie about how much they can bench? Being in the gym as many years as alot of us have you can just tell who can’t and who can’t (or ever have lifted, for that matter) have lifted that amount of weight.

[quote]bigmike8832 wrote:
5’11" and 215lbs. at age 14 means your a pretty big young man. It also means that maybe you’ve seen the early maturing 150lb. 14 year old bench maybe 185. Don’t sweat it. As the father of some pretty big boys myself, (my two youngest are age 16, 6’4" 255lbs., 335 bench, 25 reps at 185, and my 13 year old is 6’6", 185. We just started to lift with him.)I suggest that you find someone intelligent and experienced to show you how to work out, focus on proper technique, recovery, eating correctly, sleeping adequetely, and forget the poundage, just do what you do CONSISTENTLY, over an EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. Your gonna be a big one.

Mike[/quote]

Your 13 year old is 6’6"? Jesus, did you raise him near a nuclear power plant?

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
Sure, Roman Pudzianowski can put up 600, but does he have an aesthetically pleasing body? No.[/quote]

Roman Pudzianowski? Never heard of him, no success with google either. Are you referring to Mariusz Pudzianowski?

If so, I’d say he definitely has an aesthetically pleasing body, not only in comparison to other strongman competitors.

[quote]Crimzin21 wrote:
bigmike8832 wrote:

Mike

Your 13 year old is 6’6"? Jesus, did you raise him near a nuclear power plant?

[/quote]
I don’t know what my wife and I did to get such damn big kids, but we have them. I am 6’3", my wife is 5’10". Our first child, a daughter, hit six foot. My oldest son is 6’11", 250, (Played basketball at Cornell University), my next son is 6’8",(just graduated high school), my 16 year old is 6’4", (He’s a jr. this year, weighs 255 and is being recruited for football) and our youngest is 6’6". (He’s ahead of his older brother on the growth scale.)

He is playing AAU basketball and is starting to get some recognition in his own right. We have a weight room at home, and I try to teach them to work hard and smart, and to be consistent. They eat every thing they see.
Mike

[quote]BIG G MAN wrote:

Hey BIG G MAN, I didn’t mean to hijack the thread and bore people about the size of my family. I apologize.

Your are a big young man, and as I stated before, it doesn’t matter what you are now, it matters what you become with adequete sleep, good nutrition, and hard, smart work over time. You have a lot of potential.

Keep us posted.

[quote]BIG G MAN wrote:

thats not too good for your benching. buts its ok for ur squat, im 14, 5’4 and 140. i only squat 205, but i bench press 185. just keep addin on weight every week when you bench