How Much Should I Weigh?

I’m 54,5’9’',234 lb.,with a 48-inch(normal),51-inch(expanded)
chest and a 45-inch waist and 17 and one-half-inch biceps.

As I
am a diabetic,I believe it mandatory that I reduce my weight,but
ballpark figure,how much do you boys believe I should weigh at
my age,height and build?

As a 64 yr old Type II…Early this year a radio talk show host talked about being on vacation and found a book to read called “Younger next year”. Already a runner, he read and changed his exercise program and was impressed with the book. Includes 2 days a week of weights.

He recently said he purchased a case of the books to give to everyone for Christmas. I got the book, and am on my third read through, and can feel the changes in the past month. Diabetic friend go to Barnes & Noble today.

I am prediabetic. From all I’ve been told (that’s reasonable), the key thing is to reduce visceral fat (the fat under your abs, in and around your intestines). Do you know your body fat percentage?

I don’t think scale weight is the number one issue, but rather ratio of lean body mass to fat.

I second bigdawg011 in that it’s body fat percentage that you want to track, but as a “rule of thumb” the Public Health Service recommends a max weight of 205 lbs for your age/height. I’d be more conservative and expect that at single digit body fat, you’re more likely to come in around 185 lbs… but you won’t know until you get there.

51 year old type II diabetic here.

Like others I would advise you to not focus on scale weight.

Instead get a body fat caliper test to see what your body fat percentage is. And then aim at reducing that. I would try to get a test once a month. The goal being to reduce fat and maintain your muscle mass as much as possible.

I do not know how your nutrition is.

I will say that I went from using recommendations of the Diabetes educators and the USDA food pyramid to the nutritional strategies of Dr. John Berardi (an author here at T-Nation) with the following results:

– I was able to discontinue injectable insulin and glucophage pill, strictly controlling blood sugar w exercise and diet alone

– I lost fat

In a nutshell it is:

– 5 or 6 small meals a day
– protein at every meal
– most carbs non-starchy/low glycemic index
– starchy carbs ONLY after workout
– plenty of good fats

A quick intro is Dr. Berardi’s book The Metabolism Advantage: An 8-Week Program to Rev Up Your Body’s Fat-Burning Machine—At Any Age

16.47, worth a million times more. Includes nutrition science. meal plan, recipes, and a workout plan.

===

You can also look for Dr. Berardi’s articles here at T-Nation. But the book puts it all together in an easy to understand way.