T Nation

How Much Should I Gain Per Week?

First off this site has helped me a lot in getting advice on nutrition ect.

i’ve switched my diet to around 3500+ calories and im multiplying my body weight by 1.5 and taking that in grams of protein. my question is how much weight should i be gaining per week? and is too quickly a bad thing? i started last week and i’ve gained 5lbs in one week.

You need to understand that scales tend to lie. Your weight will vary greatly due to water retention, stomach content, and glycogen in your muscles. When you eat more, your stomach is more full, all that food in your stomach pulls water into it. You just started eating alot of food, of course you gained weight.

The only way you will know if you are gaining weight too fast, is if your fat gain vastly exceeds your muscle gain, stay on this plan for a month, then report back. You can’t freak out over a one week difference.

To put it in perspective, it takes about 2000-2500 calories to build a lb of muscle and about 3500 calories to put on an lb of fat. Consider that you are only eating 3500 a day, and you have to subtract out the calories that are required to keep you alive (BMR), and the calories that supply energy to your activity level.

You didn’t gain 5 lbs, the scale just told you you did, it lies.

Zagman said it right. I suggest you weigh yourself in the morning before eating and after visiting the bathroom. After your body accumulates to eating so much, your weight gain will vary with your lifting. Sometimes you’ll gain a couple lbs a week and other weeks, you’ll lose a lb. I know its been said that a 1-2 lb weight gain/ week during a bulk is good enough so that your not gaining outrageous amounts of fat, but I’ll probably get slammed by a vet who says to just eat and forget about the scale.

My suggestion is find out where your body fat goes, mine goes straight to my gut, and monitor it. Suppose it does go to your stomach, although it doesn’t look that way from your pics, then if it’s starts packing on there quickly then back off on the calories.

Personally, I aim for about 4 lbs a month. To me, 5 lbs in a week seems pretty excessive. However, everyone’s metabolism is different. Maybe you can get away with that and not put on too much fat. Even with me putting on 4 lbs a month I’m still putting on fat. However, I don’t even eat 3500+ calories like you…I eat 3000 max and I put on weight.

Part of weightlifting is discovering how your body works. Because we’re NOT all the same. Some guy who has a fast metabolism is probably more like to suggest you eat “dirty” food during a bulk. If you have a slow metabolism you probably need to cut back on that. You need to see what works for you.

if you use the same scale at the same time with the same foods in your stomach…you can use a scale to gage weight loss/gain.

it might not be correct; but you can use it to some extent.

1lb/wk according to your scale is a good number to stay within…too much might bring more fat/water weight into your body.

but i agree with “Zagman”…not only is he smart; but a badass too.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
if you use the same scale at the same time with the same foods in your stomach…you can use a scale to gage weight loss/gain.

it might not be correct; but you can use it to some extent.

1lb/wk according to your scale is a good number to stay within…too much might bring more fat/water weight into your body.

but i agree with “Zagman”…not only is he smart; but a badass too.

[/quote]

Aww, thanks “B rock”, you made me blush(sarcasm). You still kicking names and taking ass.

i say if you are not afraid of looking somewhat bad you should eat more. you will gain faster ask any of the superheavyweights in whatever.

personally thats what i do. after all, im gonna be huge, girls usually like that anyway shrugs not that i care too much.

the only one i wouldnt suggest it to would be someone over say 50.

but you are not

B Rock said it right with 1 pound per week. This is a good amount to aim for.

Throw the scales away, use the mirror as your guide

Throw the scales away, use the mirror as your guide

[quote]trappedinlondon wrote:

Throw the scales away, use the mirror as your guide[/quote]

“I’m gonna go get the papers get the papers…”

You did not gain 5 lbs of muscle a week eating 3500kcal/day.
Especially if that’s you in your profile pic.

A lot of trainnees on their first cut/bulk cycle make the mistake of weighing themselves too early and too often. This gives you the experience Zag suggested, where the scale lies. That 5lbs could have come from water, indigested food in your gut, glycogen, or a number of other factors. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

When bulking, 3500 is a good starting place. Weigh yourself once a week (same time, after pissing, before breakfast, like Trenchant posted), and don’t ever freak out. If you’re gaining weight, good. If you’re not gaining weight, wait for next week to confirm it, and then bump your kcals a bit. Also keep an eye on your mirror- when you’re as lean as you are (or as your avatar is) you can tell when you’re gaining fat/too much fat. This may not be that big a deal for you. It may be an incredible deal for you. The point is to take measurements once, weekly, and adjust what you’re doing based upon what progress you make doing them.

So weigh yourself next week, and see what comes of that.