T Nation

How Much Should I Cut Before I Bulking?

I’m down to 179 from 220, and I’m currently at 20% body fat. How low should I go before I start bulking? And when I bulk, when should I start cutting again?

I was thinking of getting down to 10% then bulking and once I hit 15% cutting again and doing that for the rest of my life pretty much. ha. Is that how it works?

I’m not a big fan of the whole cutting/bulking/cutting endless cycle. Sure, when we start training, we all think we’re bulking up because we’re after any size, whether it’s true lean muscle or not. If you are indeed down to 179 lbs (after losing 40), and you’re still at 20% bodyfat, I’d focus more on cleaning up what you’re already doing, instead of trying to force growth via unnecessary calories.

If you decide to go the up/down/up route, how far you go in either direction is always going to be dependent on how comfortable YOU feel at that weight. If you are okay walking around with 20,25, maybe even 30% bodyfat while you try to put on muscle (which you should be training to do even when you’re dieting to get lean) then by all means go to town. Personally, as much as I do relax a bit when I’m not competing, I never want to reach the point where I’m genuinely embarrassed about how I look, or where deep down, I know I’m lying to myself about how good I look. At the end of the day, unless you’re a performance athlete, we’re all trying to look better.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’m not a big fan of the whole cutting/bulking/cutting endless cycle. Sure, when we start training, we all think we’re bulking up because we’re after any size, whether it’s true lean muscle or not. If you are indeed down to 179 lbs (after losing 40), and you’re still at 20% bodyfat, I’d focus more on cleaning up what you’re already doing, instead of trying to force growth via unnecessary calories.

If you decide to go the up/down/up route, how far you go in either direction is always going to be dependent on how comfortable YOU feel at that weight. If you are okay walking around with 20,25, maybe even 30% bodyfat while you try to put on muscle (which you should be training to do even when you’re dieting to get lean) then by all means go to town. Personally, as much as I do relax a bit when I’m not competing, I never want to reach the point where I’m genuinely embarrassed about how I look, or where deep down, I know I’m lying to myself about how good I look. At the end of the day, unless you’re a performance athlete, we’re all trying to look better.

S[/quote]

I was under the impression that it was damn near impossible to gain muscle while loosing weight.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S[/quote]
listen to the WISE man!