How Much Should I Be Lifting

new member here…been lurking for a while. Anyway, question is…I am a small guy…only about 5’5" and weigh about 150. I worked out alot in my college years and was pretty strong for my size. I got back in the year ago at 38 with the goal of being in the best shape of my life at 40. some current numbers are bench-225x3, deadlift 275x3, and squat 225x1. How does it sound like I am doing?

I guess it would depend on what you hope to achieve strength wise.

as long as your numbers go up …

Kinda unusual for your bench to exceed squat. Either you’re a really strong bencher, or your squat / deadlift could be better. How strong were you in college?

college numbers were a bit higher…but much stronger overall. squat was about 250x8, bench was about 250x5, didnt really do any deadlifts…but my shoulder strenght was incredible compared to now…my should press was 225x10…now i use a machine press and max is about 180x3. i also never did much squatting…mostly leg presses and those i could hit 350 for reps. now my weakness seems to be my hips for squatting…they give out before my legs do. guess i need something to strenghten my hips…

also…to my last post…i was quite a bit lighter in college as well. i stayed around 130 to 135. i need to get back to about 140 now…150 is still heavy on me.

edit: nevermind. Carry on.

You’re numbers are you’re own numbers, they are what they are. So the answer to your question is you should be pushing yourself to lift 5 pounds more than you did last week and you will progress.

Current Diet?
Current Program?
Medical problems?
Supplements currently taking?

“best shape of your life”

What does that mean? You want to look good naked? You want to run a marathon? You want to enter a PL/strongman meet? You want overall great health that lets you lift heavy and still run the Warrior dash?

Need more input.

Are you a man or a woman?

Edit…nevermind

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Current Diet?
Current Program?
Medical problems?

What does that mean? You want to look good naked? You want to run a marathon? You want to enter a PL/strongman meet? You want overall great health that lets you lift heavy and still run the Warrior dash?

Need more input.
[/quote]

the answer is more. lift more. always seek to lift more.

youre puny right now.

For reference, the current raw squat record is 1000, raw bench is 715, raw deadlift is 1015. Till you can hit that, the answer to the question “how does it sound like I am doing” is “sounds like you need to lift more”

So, get on that.

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Current Diet?
Current Program?
Medical problems?

Need more input.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Current Diet?
Current Program?
Medical problems?

Need more input.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Current Diet?
Current Program?
Medical problems?

Need more input.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Current Diet?
Current Program?
Medical problems?

Need more input.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

thats it~

put up your dukes~

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Current Diet?
Current Program?
Medical problems?

Need more input.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

thats it~

put up your dukes~
[/quote]

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Current Diet?
Current Program?
Medical problems?

Need more input.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

thats it~

put up your dukes~
[/quote]
[/quote]

you know what I mean -

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Current Diet?
Current Program?
Medical problems?

Need more input.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

thats it~

put up your dukes~
[/quote]
[/quote]

you know what I mean - [/quote]