T Nation

How Much Salt/Sodium is Bad for You?

My mate said that he doesn’t add salt to anything in his diet because it’s bad for absorption.

Is there any truth in this?

my buddy didn’t either and then his doctor told him his sodium levels were dangerously low.

it’s wicked hard to steer clear of; just don’t start eating pounds of it and you’ll be ok. don’t go crazy.

Just make an attempt to lay off the salt and be sure to drink enough water. The water will flush out any extra salt.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
it’s wicked hard to steer clear of; just don’t start eating pounds of it and you’ll be ok. don’t go crazy.[/quote]

Agreed.

As long as you’re not living off Ramen noodles and Hungry Man dinners, you should be fine. But this is another reason to aim for drinking your gallon of water a day.

If you have hypertension/high blood pressure, then it’s much more important to monitor your sodium intake. For the average healthy lifter, don’t sweat it (harhar, pun intended).

As long as you get enough water and potassium, don’t stress.

I suggest you read this:

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/most_recent/sodium_your_secret_weapon

There is a difference between good sodium and bad. If you don’t get enough good salt, you could screw up your electrolyte balance as well as a myriad of other things.

How do the bad sodium atoms differ from the good ones?

Anyway, fear of salt is simply more medical foolishness for people not suffering health conditions in the first place.

That is, other than the bad, mirror-universe ones wearing a goatee.

Really who gives a shit about salt intake do you really think its that important to be worrying about shit like that.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
How do the bad sodium atoms differ from the good ones?

Anyway, fear of salt is simply more medical foolishness for people not suffering health conditions in the first place.[/quote]

I was just refering to this statement:

“Don’t forget that we’re talking about sodium, and not table salt. Table salt is sodium chloride (NaCl; about 40% sodium, and 60% chloride), and many brands of table salt also contain added iodine. This can cause problems for some people’s metabolisms, and of course sodium ends up taking the blame. Avoid the issue and use sea salt instead.”

Oh, I get you now.

Yes, it’s true, one shouldn’t pour on too much of the iodized stuff. Indeed unless one simply doesn’t have another source of iodine, I don’t see the reason to buy the iodized salt.

I have to confess, it’s been previously beaten into my head to keep my sodium level as low as possible when dieting so as to “not retain water.” I’ve since learned that salt is very necessary and have read the referenced article.

Since I’m on a pre-contest diet, I do still watch the amount of sodium in the foods I buy and avoid anything with MSG, but I’ve been liberally adding sea salt to all my meals.

Can I truly add as much sea salt as I want or do I still need to keep it in moderation?

The real consideration with regards to water retention is CHANGE in sodium.

I am no expert when it comes to contest prep, but I can conceive of no reason why sodium restriction a week or more out of a contest could have ANYTHING to do with contest condition, other than actually being acclimated to higher sodium should make the effect of cutting sodium at contest time possibly more dramatic, certainly not less.

The body is extremely good at regulating blood sodium. Excretion equals input: sodium does not build up.

Unless by as much as you want you mean something quite ridiculous, yes, as much as you want. I would recommend being fairly consistent though and preferably consuming fairly evenly divided across the day.

There are Japanese fisherman who, with no adverse effect on health including not on blood pressure, consume an average of 30,000 mg sodium per day from salted fish.

So the body indeed can handle lots of sodium without problem, at least if adapted to it. (I wouldn’t recommend 30 grams per day for someone not adapted to it, but for a male athlete 4-8 grams is entirely reasonable. I’m not familiar with values for women but I’d expect weight proportionality, so say 3-6 grams as a guess for what is completely reasonable.)

Thanks Bill. I did notice a bit of retention when I first started salting because I had gone so long at a very low level of sodium, but my body adapted within a few days and the water weight dropped off.
I just needed that reassurance that I wasn’t screwing myself over. And I don’t go totally crazy with the salt, but I do add it to about 4 out of 6 meals a day.

I use sea salt as well, good stuff. It tends to go on heavier with my grinder, so I go easy on it. If you want to SEE what you’re using, shake it out onto your hand first, then apply it to your food.

Excess salt makes me thirsty beyond what I call normal and I can feel the blood pounding in my ears at times. My BP runs 120/80 most of the time.

Read the labels on food. Compare the sodium to other products and make the best choice. Prepared foods are often loaded with sodium. Pick up a can of a good name-brand soup, 650 mg of sodium is 27% of your daily “requirement”. Other things have like 850 mg in them. And people ask me why I make my own soup.

BG

300 grams can kill you.

[quote]Kef wrote:
300 grams can kill you.[/quote]

Aww fuck.

I am at 280 grams today.

I guess the Baconator from Wendy’s is going to have to sit in my fridge until tomorrow.

Fuck.

[quote]Dissonance wrote:
Kef wrote:
300 grams can kill you.

Aww fuck.

I am at 280 grams today.

I guess the Baconator from Wendy’s is going to have to sit in my fridge until tomorrow.

Fuck.

[/quote]

I thought the baconator only had 15 grams of sodium. I think you’ll be okay.

get several grams of potassium from WHOLE FOOD SOURCES daily along with a few liters of water with minimal sources of dehydration (coffee, soft drinks, alcohol, etc.) and you’ll be fine with high sodium intake

[quote]Dissonance wrote:
Kef wrote:
300 grams can kill you.

Aww fuck.

I am at 280 grams today.

Fuck.

[/quote]

Lol, i just added what i knew.