How Much Running?

i heard that if you run long distances it will decrease your muscle mass…and that doing sprints is better. is that true?

Dude,
This isn’t Craigslist; you don’t need to caps everything. And yes, sprints are much better.

[quote]markdp wrote:
And yes, sprints are much better.[/quote]

I second that. Sprint the straights of a track, jog the turns.

[quote]bedruz wrote:
i heard that if you run long distances it will decrease your muscle mass…and that doing sprints is better. is that true?[/quote]

Pretty much. It all depends on your goals. Why are you running?

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO DO IT PROPERLY 1ST TURN THE CAPS OFF.

Now we onto a more normal mode, if you really want to get the maximum from cardio, do the Tabata Protocall.

Warmup up walk around, swing your arms about use 1kg dumb bells i dont care just get the blood flowing

Then get a stop watch and do the following:

Jog for 20 seconds
Sprint for 10 seconds
Jog for 20 seconds
And continue

When i say sprint i mean just like the caps lock REALLY EMPHASIZE IT REALLY REALLY REALLY SPRINT!
So the 20 second jog seems like all your x-mas prezzies came early!

This more so than most running ways will beat you down. Get to 4 minutes your doing REALLY well.

[quote]bedruz wrote:
i heard that if you run long distances it will decrease your muscle mass…and that doing sprints is better. is that true?[/quote]

Sprinting is better for your physique. If you are into long distance, high endurance sports, then by all means run long distances. The problem with long distance running is that it trains your body to store energy for the long haul, that is why high endurance athletes tend to look soft even though they work out like maniacs. Training for speed trains your body to purge all unnecessary weight, this is desirable as fat is the most unnecessary weight in the body save for shit and urine.

Is there any benefits of running 4 or 5 miles; 2 times a week?

[quote]chris187 wrote:
Is there any benefits of running 4 or 5 miles; 2 times a week?[/quote]

Being skinny. Fitting into emo genes. Getting ready for long distance track or cross-country season. Getting some time to yourself (as you run) to listen to some music.

That’s it. The perks end there. You can get a healthy heart and a hot body doing stuff that’s a lot more fun and more effective. I don’t understand why people who don’t compete in distance running like distance running. It’s torture. It doesn’t yield great results.

People like it because it’s of the mtyh that it’s the only way to burn fat. The average uneducated twit thinks running only means to burns fat well that and maybe also areoboics. They also believe weights build bulky muscles nothing more.

What I wonder is how this got ingrained in peoples heads. I get hearsay but this myth had to have started somewhere.

is 10 laps considered alot to be doing?

[quote]bedruz wrote:
is 10 laps considered alot to be doing?[/quote]

Depends what your looking for. Personally i think its way too much. But i dont do any more than 4 mins of TABATA a day. Search on here for a article called ‘the TABATA method’. explains it all.

Its worth remembering that sprints are going to be a much greater ‘stress’ than jogging or something, from which you will have to recover. Sprints seem to need to be treated more like a tough weights workout, and so you might find yourself over-worked if you’re not careful.

My advice, if you want to do sprints, would be to not go all-out, just run at maybe 80% speed for each sprint. You’ll still be fucking tired at the end, and if you’re not then reduce your rest periods of jogging between sprints.

Also, start easy and build up your sprinting volume or else you might well find your lifting thrown off track for the first week.

Personally I think the popularity of HIIT has gone too far in the last few years, and I still believe longer-duration cardio is something most people could benefit from. I also think that there’s individual differences, as with most things, such that some people find one of the kinds of cardio to be much more beneficial than the other.

Doing a few several-mile runs each week needn’t waste you at all.

I run nearly everday. The reason I run: The peace of mind and the overall good feeling you get after running.

I tried sprinting but I did not like it as much as running for 45 to 60 minutes on a slow and eays pace. And in my martial arts classes I am the one who is still standing at the end so it must be good for conditioning also.

And running in nature by yourself - not in a crowded gym - gives you a good opportunity to think about your life and sometimes it`s kind of medidative.

[quote]Mishima wrote:
I run nearly everday. The reason I run: The peace of mind and the overall good feeling you get after running.

I tried sprinting but I did not like it as much as running for 45 to 60 minutes on a slow and eays pace. And in my martial arts classes I am the one who is still standing at the end so it must be good for conditioning also.

And running in nature by yourself - not in a crowded gym - gives you a good opportunity to think about your life and sometimes it`s kind of medidative.
[/quote]

This is very true but judging by OP’s avatar he isn’t into peace of mind he is trying to figure out if long distance running will decrease muscle mass.

right…

[quote]usertaken wrote:
IF YOU REALLY WANT TO DO IT PROPERLY 1ST TURN THE CAPS OFF.

Now we onto a more normal mode, if you really want to get the maximum from cardio, do the Tabata Protocall.

Warmup up walk around, swing your arms about use 1kg dumb bells i dont care just get the blood flowing

Then get a stop watch and do the following:

Jog for 20 seconds
Sprint for 10 seconds
Jog for 20 seconds
And continue

When i say sprint i mean just like the caps lock REALLY EMPHASIZE IT REALLY REALLY REALLY SPRINT!
So the 20 second jog seems like all your x-mas prezzies came early!

This more so than most running ways will beat you down. Get to 4 minutes your doing REALLY well.

[/quote]

Actually its sprint for 20 seconds, recover for 10 seconds, and repeat for a total of 8 intervals.

Yes jogging has it’s place, it depends on you though.

Jogging is not better than sprinting.

Sprinting is not better than jogging.

You have to do what will work for you given your personal goals.

Personally I am in a sport where I need to have my cardio at the best place possible, so I run up to 3 miles a couple of times a week, do sprints and intervals twice a week, lift 2-3 times a week, and spend another 1.5 hrs. a day doing conditioning and technique training. I haven’t shrunk, I haven’t gotten weaker, but I also didn’t start off doing this as an ectomorphic teenager. What you need to do will probably be drastically different from what I do.

Whoever said sprinting is better for your physique…I would definitely say that sprinting will (when part of a proper diet and weight lifting program) help you build a great physique, but it’s not just the sprinting, it’s the sprinting along with everything else.

And most professional bodybuilders who are on very high volume weight training programs prefer steady state cardio over HIIT because of the aforementioned additional CNS stress from such a high intensity workout.

Just find out what you like that also works for you.

I think it’s also worth noting that CT and CS are having their Physiqe Clinic clients doing alot of steady state cardio. I don’t know if they have the ecto on the cardio though. The point is that if you don’t have much time, HIIT is more efficient, but if you’re wanting to be ridiculously lean and have more than just 3 hours a week you should be doing SOME steady state cardio.

I’m only saying this because in other threads I’ve seen heated cardio hate, I’m not trying to ruffle any feathers here.

posted a week ago on T-Nation…
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/diet_and_nutrition/shredded_at_last_1&cr=dietAndNutrition

Obviously though this doesn’t apply to the TS.

aiight thanks