T Nation

How Much Risk Am I Taking if I Do One Cycle of TRT? 28 Y/O

I posted on here about a month ago after having my bloodwork done and received some helpful advice, but didn’t discuss TRT at all.

Total Test 815 (348 - 1197 ng/dl)
Free Test 8.6 (9.3 - 26.5 pg/ml)
LH : 3.4. (mIU/mL 1.7 - 8.6)
FSH: 3.2 (mIU/mL 1.5 - 12.4)
Prostate spec ag : 0.8. (0.0 - 4.0)
Estradiol: 20.9 (pg/mL 8.0 - 35.0)
TSH: 2.570 (uIU/mL 0.450 - 4.500)

So my free test is crazy low, while my total test is high, indicating high SHBG. My TSH is also high. I have been taking several supplements to get my SHBG down/free test up, and also get my TSH down. Within the first few days of taking the supplements I had noticed some improvement. I dozed off on my friends couch one late afternoon and woke up with wood, which was something that would not have happened before. This was an encouraging sign for me. Unfortunately, I feel like the effects of the supplements are tapering a little, and I’m not getting my free T where I want it to be. Morning wood is rare. I’m going to continue with the supplements for a little and give them some more time, and also get another blood test done for SHBG and TSH.

If I do not achieve the results I am looking for through supplements, I may consider TRT because I have read this will lower SHBG.

Thinking optimistically, one cycle of TRT will boost my free testosterone levels and lower SHBG , and maybe these effects could linger on? Maybe all I need is a kickstart is what I’m hoping.

On the other hand, I’m worried that one cycle will make my body become more dependent on external source of testosterone, and will worsen my condition over time.

Being that my total testosterone is high, it appears my body is producing plenty but it is not bioavailable. So Im assuming I am taking less risk than someone whose total testosterone is low.

I don’t think I want to be on TRT for my entire life, but at the same time my 8.6 free testosterone is really affecting me negatively as a man. So, how likely is it that I will need TRT even more after one cycle? I’ve read stories of guys levels staying high after TRT but it appears to be random. Is the risk worth the reward for me if my quality of life is currently shit?

Please do not split your case, maintain your other thread.

You did not post your body temperatures there or how they may have changed with your kelp/iodine.

Also need AST/ALT. Please review everything I posted before.

I am not feeling that you have read the stickies that I suggested.