How Much Rest Time Before Comp?

On the 15th of August I’ll be tested for my new University’s football team. I will be squatting, benching, and cleaning in the test.

My question is about how much time should be used for rest before the attempts?

I heavy squatted on mon and heavy benched on tues…will have DE for them on fri and sat.

I figure I have four routes to follow

1. On monday work up to some heavy singles for the three lifts, with little volume, just to get a feel for some weight without too much fatigue.

2. Lift on both mon and tues, do some heavy work, and some supplemental work, but not much.

3. Not lift at all after the DE days

4. Do both days like normal

Any thoughts on what would be best? I would say one or 2, but I dont wanna be too fatigued.

I’d definitely vote for option 1. If I can quote Dan John, who quoted Tommy Kono (Ridiculously Incredible Olympic lifter) “It’s better to be a little undertrained, than a little overtrained.”

So, err on the side of too little. Truth be told, though, I wouldn’t even go crazy-heavy on the three lifts. Maybe something like a 5-6RM, for a few sets of singles. Then rest for a straight week, get some good sleep and food, and blast through the test. But remember what Mickey told Rocky “Women weaken legs.” :wink:

thanks for the reply.

Im hoping for 350-365 squat; 240 bench and 175 clean.

Ill prob work to about 315 for squat, 225 bench and 160 clean or so, maybe a little lower. Hows that look?

[quote]BigDirk wrote:
Im hoping for 350-365 squat; 240 bench and 175 clean.

Ill prob work to about 315 for squat, 225 bench and 160 clean or so, maybe a little lower. Hows that look?[/quote]

Sounds like a plan. Like I said, I’d keep them to just a few sets each, and just singles. Nothing too rough at all, and you’ll hit the test like a tropical storm hitting a small carribean island. :slight_smile: