T Nation

How Much Protein?

How much protein does somebody trying to lose weight need? I've heard 1 gram per pound lean body mass and 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, which is it?

My current stats are a weight of ~263 pounds (havent weighed since Wednesday). According to Body Tracker, I have 196 pounds of lean body mass.

My current diet currently consists of 2 servings (as in two different shakes) of low-carb Metabolic Drive with one scoop of L-Leucine each and one or two tbsp of flax meal. I have one in the morning and one about two hours before bed. I usually only eat two solid meals a day. I sometimes occasionally have a handful or so of almonds or walnuts or etc during the day. I also have 6 Flameout caps a day, two with meal one, 4 with meal two. I also plan to start taking and trying Alpha Male on Monday.

I know, I hear it all the time, eat more, but it truly is hard for me. My schedule is hectic usually and dont have time for more. However, they are big meals, usually up to a pound of steak, one and a half breasts of chicken (or more), two cans of tuna, couple fish fillets etc along with a salad of some kind dressed in olive oil or I have my meat in some kind of stir fry (occasionally I make a meatloaf type concucsion without the bread crumbs). No grains, just meat, veggies, some dairy (about 3 times a week or so) and one or two pieces of fruit a week...

My current average daily protein intake is over 200 grams. My question is, is my current protein intake high enough to drop fat and build muscle or should I through another scoop of Grow! into my shakes for and additional 40 grams of protein per day?

I personally think if you are 20% body fat or higher that you should use LBM for calculations. Below 15% you can use weight, 15-20% you will have to play around with.

That's just my theory, though.

Now, with regards to leucine. Since pre-workout insulin spiking is very beneficial and can be done with carbs alone - or a high carb meal - try spiking insulin preworkout with a small meal or shake - and without the leucine - then workout, then have a scoop or two of whey PLUS leucine, post workout.

Leucine will also spike your insulin, so coming home from the gym, your insulin should still be high from the preworkout spike and to further spike insulin and stimulate protein synthesis - at least according to the literature - you can consume leucine in the postworkout window.

Actually, if your workout is less then 90 minutes and you have the preworkout shake/meal within 45-60 min of working out, you could probably ditch the leucine as part of the PWO shake and take it with your first PWO solid meal, which would be 60-90 minutes after the PWO shake.

Summary (leucine use, my rec):

Upon rising
PWO meal
Before bed

This is if you don't workout to close to bed time. Otherwise, place the PWO-meal leucine dose somewhere else in the day, about 5-6 hours after you first take it in the morning.

Well, when you're trying to drop weight, the real issue to maintaining your lbm, which will certaily require adequate protein intake. What I'd really like to know though, is your required calories to maintain you lean body mass, then figure out a deficit, then we can juggle the macros. If you do the whole carb dropping thing, you need to make sure you're getting enough cals overall, although still less than you need, whether from healthy fats, or more protein. If you've ever read articles by Berardi, he talks about MET values. Bascially, Proteins create a type of thermic effect. Sure your body has to work to break down all macronurtients, but a higher protein diet will allow you more calories because the body work harder to get at 'em.

Im guessing your talking about my BMR. I plugged in what Body Tracker claims is my lbm and according to it, I need 2,055 calories a day to maintain that weight. This seems about right. I haven't plugged anything into my food tracking program this week, its been extra hectic, but looking at some nutritional data from whfoods.com, Im hitting ~2000 calories a day, maybe a touch over some days, with almost all of that being fat and protein.