T Nation

How Much Protein Is Worth Eating?

Hey guys, I always slug a whey isolate shake post along with some glutamine, gatorade, cheerios, creatine, and stuff like that. I was wondering how much protein my body can actually digest, absorb, and use during a regular meal vs a post workout meal. I have heard 20, 30, 50 g, and i was wondering what the veterans have to say.

Depends on the person.

There was a recent study done that suggested that you only needed DRI of protein to build muscle mass...I think this was bull but I also think that overdoing it can be harm full.

1 gram per lb is a safe way to go.

But more importantly to build muscle you need calories,water and carbs.

carbohydrates are your body's first use.

70% of your body is made from water.

Protein is not as important as you may think. It is a definitely a must in building muscle but if your having 1g per lb of bodyweight that is all you really need.

Stop posting until you post a picture of your progress.

hey bonez youre a thousand times bigger than me what do you think?

what're your stats OP? height, weight, best lifts, aprx BF.

what are your goals?

cheerios in the protein shake?

I am 5'9 155 lbs. aprx 15% body fat. I dont really feel like excel at any lifts. I am 18, not very big. I want to put on 10 lbs by the end of april. Yeah man i eat cheerios cause its a quick digesting carb to go with that protein. I am open to better ideas though if you got any

are you keeping a food log?

What does your training look like?

You could mix oats into your shake.

And a banana.

Oh gregron I see you have changed your avatart the pants really suit that huge moustache and that pink shirt really highlights your personalities.

<1 shake per day (at least one as you wake up, but it's also important to drink one before bed).

at least two high protein meals. by high protein I mean <35g and by meal i mean full meal (protein, veggies, carbs, etc).

try to sneak in a few good snacks, which can also include protein - can of tuna, etc.

while the amount of protein you ingest is important, being consistent with it will help get you the results you want. dont skip shakes or meals, try to snack too. if you're looking to gain size you need to eat. a 5'9 guy w/15% bf wanting to gain should really stick to eating a lot of protein religiously. with hard training and good eating you should be able to gain 20lbs by the end of april, and a lot of it will be muscle. don't be afraid to eat more than you think you should (as long as its clean) and dont be afraid to gain weight

but in short, eat eat eat eat eat

Aim for over 200g of protein. If you fall short, you'll be around 200 which is fine for your weight.

If you struggle to gain any weight at all after a few weeks, start drinking a few glasses of milk. Especially if you struggle to get in the calories you need.

Lift hard, sleep well, and take in plenty of good food [pasta, rice, potato, veg - preferably not cheerios!] and remember this is a long haul. 10lbs by april is achievable but I dont be let down if you fall short. Make a long term goal for the end of the year and work every day to get there.

How much whey protein can you digest - is that your question? I'm sure it;s a different answer for different people. If you were going to eat 350 grams of protein per day, you'd probably want to build up to it - just like you don't start out running marathons. So how much you can digest and absorb depends on what you're currently used to eating. Then there is the question - what else did you eat that day? When is the last time you ate, before the big protein feed. Do you digest whey pretty well, in general (not everybody does). Etc.

You just want a number though, I'd say about 250 grams max, at any one time. Hey... this sounds like a good experiment. Every day, add more whey protein to your shake, until the day you reach the point you feel nauseus. That's probably your answer. It's going to be way way more than 100 grams, I bet... as long as you are using a quality whey.

I've been having some decent gains lately - it might be because my body is adapting to the training better (and not missing any workouts) but I think it might be because I bumped my post-workout shake from 50 to 75 grams of whey. (from 2 scoops to three). It's apparently the most important meal of the day. My shake is just protein, and some fiber from flax... pretty easy to digest. I don't respond well to carbs and I'm not convinced they are mandatory, every time you eat. I have a big meal 1-2 hours after that. The 75 grams goes down like a glass of chocolate milk, though. Easy.

Any hard training athlete will benefit from more than the RDA or 1g/lb of bodyweight. The amnount an individual can absorb per sitting varies quite a bit, but eating a 'bit more' than you think you need is always as safe bet. The issue with carbs being 'protein sparing' means that when you have carbs present, your body will not need to break down proteins in order to reassemble the glucose it may need. This will leave more protein for the purpose of actually synthesizing new muscle tissue, and not being used (albeit in a 'costly' manner) for energy requirements.

BUNNY- I don't get involved in the BS/bashing that sometimes goes on around here, but you have to understand that repeating things you've read and (most likely) don't fully understand, doesn't constitute a true base of knowledge. I was on this site for a good 5 years before I felt like I had anything truly useful to contribute.
Bonez make be a little rough around the edges in regard to his online interpersonal skills, but he knows what he's talking about.

I've read a whole lot over the past two years about this sort of thing, and I have one question that I generally have not seen addressed:

I understand that protein can be broken down into carbohydrates in two cases: a) when glycogen stores demand it in the absence of carbohydrates and b) when more protein is taken in than the body can process as protein.

This usually leads to the conclusion that (esp during the PWO period, for example) carbohydrates should be combined with protein when glycogen stores are lowered to "spare" the protein, as you say.

But let's say we had an individual who was carb-averse. Not as a matter of "makes me bloated/fat/whatever that probably isn't even the case"--instead, just either has allergies to many carb-heavy foods (oatmeal) and/or doesn't find fruits palatable (too sweet, etc).

So let's take two cases PWO: a) individual takes in 120 grams of nutrients--60 grams protein, 60 grams carbs; b) individual takes in 120 grams of nutrients--120 grams protein.

Is the idea that (a) is better than (b) simply because of the metabolic cost of protein? One argument would be similar to the argument against taking in fat PWO--i.e. that the metabolic processing of fat competes with protein synthesis into muscle. Another would be that you're "teaching" the body to turn protein into glycogen stores (i.e. an energy source) instead of muscle. Separate arguments, but the general consensus seems to be that P+C>P, even in same total amounts.

Thoughts on this? Have any of you actually experimented with this? I'm doing so currently (introducing carbs PWO), and I guess I'm just going to see what happens. I apologize if this question is elementary--I just don't think that I've come across a satisfactory explanation of this. I should also mention that I realize that this is, at least to some extent, "majoring in the minors," as it were--I'm asking more out of general interest than anything else.

Thanks for the oats idea man. I do not keep a training log, I just follow the mountain dog routines outlined on this site. I eat 5-6 times a day and I usually try to eat 2x as many carbs than protein. I also shoot for lots of fat, especially at night. look for fiber, lots of water, and eat SO much, like till i feel my stomach will explode.

One comment that Tim Patterson made to me when I was in Colorado that has stayed with me since, was that if you want to teach your body to oxidize proteins (muscle?) at an accelerated rate, jack up your protein intake and eat not much else. Think about that for a moment.

If all your body is getting the majority of the time is protein, then it will in theory adapt. The issue of concern with this though, would be at what point does the body differentiate between muscle protein and recently ingested protein. Arguments for the nutrient partioning effect of interval cardio sessions state that by forcing the body to use glycogen as fuel during the session, the primnary fuel source at other times of the day will become more fat-dependent.

That is why you will hear about competitors still eating carbs before high intensity cardio sessions, even though they are on 'low carb' diets. It's all about the body seeing protein as the very last possible resource to burn through, and hence support the ultimate goal of muscle retention.

The only thing I have seen go against that is my current routine of constantly drinking that protein through out the day. I know from experience that I would be losing muscle if I was relying on whey protein shakes to do the same thing. The issue would seem to me to be how quickly your body can assimilate the protein coming in as well.

Other than that, I would hope most newbs understand that carbs aren't poison and they will likely make way more progress if they aren't in fear of them.

Overall calories also affect this as I would expect someone avoiding carbs to be at risk of losing even more muscle overall if they reduce calories regardless of their protein intake.

always listen to ProfX, i have performed better these past two months now im spending money on rump steak and rice rather than whey

I know that I'm new to bodybuilding, but I'm not new to dieting for efficient performance, so I'll just throw in my .02 here:

I think that Prof X's comments touch on three essential truths that seem to be the only real items of consensus that have been established from everything I've read about bodybuilding diet/nutrition: a) eat whole food(s); b) get enough protein; c) get enough calories. I think that beyond those three general principles, it seems like different bodies respond differently to different nutrient ratios, so a lot of that will have to do with the experimentation that's all part of the longer journey of optimizing your results.

This is only semi-related, but one sort of interesting observation I've made over the past year or so is how my body also reacts differently to nutrient ratios depending on what type of activity I'm performing. When I was distance running (especially when doing more than 80 miles per week), I ran most efficiently off a diet that was extremely carb-heavy, protein moderate, and fat near non-existent (probably a 70/5-20/5-5 CPF split). When I'm lifting as my primary activity, my body seems to demand a high protein, high fat, and low carbohydrate balance (probably something more like 10-50-40 CPF split). I'm really not sure why, ha and I would be open to any speculations.

GREAT post Stu, on an issue I think is often overlooked. Far too many people just assume more protein is always better; I've heard people recommend 2g/lb sometimes. And to add to your point, all the research I've done looking into this seems to indicate that the body DOESN'T differentiate between ingested protein and muscle when it is... let's call it "gluconeogenesis adapted".

However, the one contradiction to this that I've struggled to understand is how PSMFs work. Is it because of the relative brevity of this type of diet? Is it because protein intake (and kcal intake) are both still low enough that the body continues to prefer fat as a fuel source?

If you have any answers Stu I'd love to hear them.