How Much Protein Is Too Much?

I’m currently lifting 4-days a week for football and I was wondering how much protein I should be getting each day. I have checked so many sites that have different ideas on how much I need that I’m just so confused. Currently I weigh 215lbs and stand 5’11"

It will depend on your goals. IMO there is no such a thing as too much but there is such a thing as too little. General BB standards say 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight per day. Try to get as much as you can from whole lean foods. Supplement with powder to hit the magic number.

During a bulk, I shoot for between 1.5 to 2.0 grams per lb of bodyweight.

Since you play football and are in the off season, I assume you are trying to bulk so I suggest you start out with 1.0 - 1.5 gram per lb of bodyweight a day and go from there. Eating is all about making asjustments so dont expect to get it right the first time around.

Do not worry about going over the number, just make sure you dont fall short. And no short cuts bro, dont drink 6 shakes and have one chicken breast, try to consume as much as you can from whole foods. Good luck.

AA

[quote]langs68 wrote:
I’m currently lifting 4-days a week for football and I was wondering how much protein I should be getting each day. I have checked so many sites that have different ideas on how much I need that I’m just so confused. Currently I weigh 215lbs and stand 5’11" [/quote]

What are your reasons for thinking that getting the majority of your daily protein intake from protein powders is bad?
Comguy1

[quote]comguy1 wrote:
What are your reasons for thinking that getting the majority of your daily protein intake from protein powders is bad?
Comguy1[/quote]

Where did he say that?

What you might be getting at, is the general recommendation to eat as much whole food (not protein powder) as you can before turning to supplements to get up to the level you want to be at (especially protein).

So, basically, you want to eat your steak, turkey breast, etc, before your protein powder so you can get the extra nutrients that you need from whole food.

[quote]Nomancer wrote:

Where did he say that?
[/quote]

“And no short cuts bro, dont drink 6 shakes and have one chicken breast, try to consume as much as you can from whole foods”

There…

when it hurts to take a crap, you have too much protein. If you get it from whole foods that is less likely to occur. Besides, whole foods give you a better mix of proteins.

Ive always been told that your body will use only the amounts of protien it needs. So, if your body needs 300g of protien and you take in 400, it will just expell the extra.

I’ve also been told that whole foods are important for digestive systems but not neccesarily important that protien is consumed by whole foods.
Meaning, your body needs whole foods to digest efficiently but it is perfectly fine to have a good percentage of your protien intake coming from powders/supplements as long as your not replacing whole food meals.

For hard-core training I try to maintain 400 grams of protien a day. This is spread throughout 8-10 meals.
Thats roughly 1.75x my body wieght.

I agree with the other posters in response to your question to my earlier statement (whoa too early for a sentence like that).

A

[quote]comguy1 wrote:
Comguy1[/quote]

[quote]maxx power wrote:
Ive always been told that your body will use only the amounts of protien it needs. So, if your body needs 300g of protien and you take in 400, it will just expell the extra.[/quote]

You’ve been told wrong. You won’t “expell” it, it will just be converted and stored as fat. So IMO, there is a level at which too much is too much.

[quote]I’ve also been told that whole foods are important for digestive systems but not neccesarily important that protien is consumed by whole foods.
Meaning, your body needs whole foods to digest efficiently but it is perfectly fine to have a good percentage of your protien intake coming from powders/supplements as long as your not replacing whole food meals.[/quote]

Wrong again. Who is telling you these things? Please make them stop. Also- if you aren’t replacing whole food meals with protein powders, then how are you not getting protein from your meals and getting the majority of it from powders? Your statement has no logic to it, and in fact contradicts itself.

[quote]For hard-core training I try to maintain 400 grams of protien a day. This is spread throughout 8-10 meals.
Thats roughly 1.75x my body wieght.[/quote]

Probably too much IMO, unless the training is very “hard-core”. 1x to 1.5x your LBM (not bodyweight) is most likely sufficent. There are varying opinions on this, so I’m not saying your’s is wrong.

If you are basing that solely on your opinion then why are you telling him he has been told wrong?

Your statement just gave me a headache. I think all we are saying is it is better to get your protein from a whole food meal than it is getting it from a powder. If you do not agree with that then just say that.

Like I suggested for this guy, 1.0 - 1.5 but if you are an experienced BB and are on a bulk, I dont think 1.75 is too much at all.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
maxx power wrote:
Ive always been told that your body will use only the amounts of protien it needs. So, if your body needs 300g of protien and you take in 400, it will just expell the extra.

You’ve been told wrong. You won’t “expell” it, it will just be converted and stored as fat. So IMO, there is a level at which too much is too much.

I’ve also been told that whole foods are important for digestive systems but not neccesarily important that protien is consumed by whole foods.
Meaning, your body needs whole foods to digest efficiently but it is perfectly fine to have a good percentage of your protien intake coming from powders/supplements as long as your not replacing whole food meals.

Wrong again. Who is telling you these things? Please make them stop. Also- if you aren’t replacing whole food meals with protein powders, then how are you not getting protein from your meals and getting the majority of it from powders? Your statement has no logic to it, and in fact contradicts itself.

For hard-core training I try to maintain 400 grams of protien a day. This is spread throughout 8-10 meals.
Thats roughly 1.75x my body wieght.

Probably too much IMO, unless the training is very “hard-core”. 1x to 1.5x your LBM (not bodyweight) is most likely sufficent. There are varying opinions on this, so I’m not saying your’s is wrong.[/quote]

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
If you are basing that solely on your opinion then why are you telling him he has been told wrong?

Your statement just gave me a headache. I think all we are saying is it is better to get your protein from a whole food meal than it is getting it from a powder. If you do not agree with that then just say that.

Like I suggested for this guy, 1.0 - 1.5 but if you are an experienced BB and are on a bulk, I dont think 1.75 is too much at all.

[/quote]

I gotta agree with this. I think around 1.5g per pound is prolly a good place to start. Remember though that bulking is more about overall calorie consumption and people probably get a little caught up on the number under these circumstances. I usually aim for around 400g a day when cutting and 300-350g a day when bulking,thats at 6’ around 250lbs

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
maxx power wrote:

You’ve been told wrong. You won’t “expell” it, it will just be converted and stored as fat. So IMO, there is a level at which too much is too much.[/quote]

One would have to take into account if the person is consuming more calories than he is expending in general. Otherwise, I believe it would be used to cover the person’s energy expenditure.

I agree with your number and your statement about calories. His initial question related to protein grams that why I did not address. Where is this kid anyway, its his thread, haha.

6’ 250 nice, you compete?

A

[quote]K-Narf wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:

I gotta agree with this. I think around 1.5g per pound is prolly a good place to start. Remember though that bulking is more about overall calorie consumption and people probably get a little caught up on the number under these circumstances. I usually aim for around 400g a day when cutting and 300-350g a day when bulking,thats at 6’ around 250lbs[/quote]

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
maxx power wrote:

One would have to take into account if the person is consuming more calories than he is expending in general. Otherwise, I believe it would be used to cover the person’s energy expenditure.[/quote]

Good point. I assumed on a bulk you would naturally try to take in more than you expend.

Protein absorbtion goes down when you don’t need anymore, I belive

The problem is, you don’t know how much you need.

You also don’t know how much u need at any given time, so this is one reason why you should eat protein through the day.

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
I agree with your number and your statement about calories. His initial question related to protein grams that why I did not address. Where is this kid anyway, its his thread, haha.

6’ 250 nice, you compete?

A

K-Narf wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:

I gotta agree with this. I think around 1.5g per pound is prolly a good place to start. Remember though that bulking is more about overall calorie consumption and people probably get a little caught up on the number under these circumstances. I usually aim for around 400g a day when cutting and 300-350g a day when bulking,thats at 6’ around 250lbs

[/quote]

(Sorry for the hijack. Just answering a question)
Nah,actually though I love bodybuilding(especially the old guys,Arnold, Sergio, Zane ect and the amatuer levels) I really don’t have alot of desire to compete. My goals right now are just to be big and strong. Thats kind of subjective I know but I really enjoy the being 250 and don’t wanna diet down right now. I’ve made incredible gains on the AD and am really looking to see how far I can take it.Maybe in a few years when I get closer to 30 and need a new set of goals