T Nation

How Much Protein in One Go?

Just curious what everyone thinks of this.
I have read that the body can only metabolise 30g of protein in one go, and use it to gain muscle.

What do you all think of that theory?

Also, the different amounts people recoommend you eat.
I’ve heard:

1g per pound of bodyweight
1g per pound of lean bodyweight
1g per kilo of bodyweight

Any opinions on this?

Personally, I try to get 20 - 30g of protein every 2.5 - 3 hours. 5 times a day on non training days and 6 on a training day (This is a protein shake when I come home from the gym).

I eat when I’m hungry, aiming for a serving of protein at each ‘feeding’…I just eyeball it though and eat more if I am hungry!

Probably not the answer you were looking for, huh?

How do you FEEL eating like you do? If it’s working, then it’s all good!

Seems to be working fine at the moment for me. Gaining strength pretty quickly.

I’m really intterested to see how much this is an individual thing, and how much people stick to the dogma.

I generally eat 50 in one sitting or mabey 60-70.

I simply cant eat 350-400 grams of protien 30 grams at a time.

Its not feasible.

FACEPALM

So you’re telling me you weigh 260lbs and only get 180 grams of protein?

DC guys get 500-600 grams at your weight if I’m not mistaken.

I get 325-350 grams and I’m 180.

I am by my own admission carrying alot of extra bodyfat. I would probably look decent at around 200 - 210.
Still not at the recommended level I know, but the 180 does seem to work.

So, Trenchant, I guess you are of another school of thought 1.5 - 2 grams per pound of bodyweight?

[quote]Mzungu wrote:
I am by my own admission carrying alot of extra bodyfat. I would probably look decent at around 200 - 210.
Still not at the recommended level I know, but the 180 does seem to work.

So, Trenchant, I guess you are of another school of thought 1.5 - 2 grams per pound of bodyweight?[/quote]

It all depends on your goals. Since you mention a lot of extra body fat, I assume you are going to cut soon. Which would probably mean a decrease in carbs and overall calories, but you’ll want to increase your protein intake for energy and recovery since you’ll probably drastically cut carbs.

I’m about 200 pounds, I would estimate that I get about 200g of protein per day. But I’m looking to increase it within the week.

As for the original question, I think 50g is probably a good amount per meal. You can get a good 250-300g per day. It’s really not that difficult considering 4oz of meat is a “serving”, but that’s like 4 bites to me.

I have over 100g for breakfast alone.

[quote]Mzungu wrote:
I am by my own admission carrying alot of extra bodyfat. I would probably look decent at around 200 - 210.
Still not at the recommended level I know, but the 180 does seem to work.

So, Trenchant, I guess you are of another school of thought 1.5 - 2 grams per pound of bodyweight?[/quote]

Yup. CT, Poliquin, Laroyal, Dirty Gerdy, waylanderxx, cephalic carnage, sentoguy, ScottM, tribunal dude, and a bunch of others on here support that, too.

Folks who regurgitate the “a body can only absorb 30g at a sitting” BS just show how little they know. You tell me a monster the size of Ronnie Coleman can’t handle more protein at a time than the 150 lb kid who just started training?

Also, as Westclock pointed out, if you REQUIRE 250, or 300g a day, and you’re eating 5, or 6 times a day, there’s no way you will ever get enough to meet your requirements.

Mzungu - If you’re cutting, and getting 180g of protein, but weight 260, I guarentee you that you will be dropping a decent amount of muscle as you diet (assuming that you actually do have 210 lbs of muscle).

I’d also like to reiterate Berardi’s bit about Met coefficients in regards to macronutrient breakdowns. Eating a diet higher in protein will allow you to ingest more calories a day than if you eat a more carb, or fat dominate selection (thermic effect).

So even if you don’t require a higher intake, if you’re trying to lose fat, it behooves you to ingest a bit more than you would otherwise.

S

This again?

Of course we all know that you can only absorb 29.99g per sitting, it’s that extra .01 that the body is like WHOOOOAAAA big fella, don’t give me too much protein.

I swear, this shit gets old.

Some of those studies are really funny, especially when their typical person in the survey weighs 70kg.

I’ve asked many times and no one has yet been able to produce the research that the magical 30g came from.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
This again?

Of course we all know that you can only absorb 29.99g per sitting, it’s that extra .01 that the body is like WHOOOOAAAA big fella, don’t give me too much protein.

I swear, this shit gets old.[/quote]

LOL

In all seriousness though, I just calculated my protein intake and I get around 360g’s just from liquids. That doesn’t include the 3-4 meals of food I eat per day.

If you Don’t wanna eat your protein then you don’t wanna Grow!

you need to eat and drink more protein try and get around 8-9 grams of protein per pound.

[quote]joey eggs wrote:
you need to eat and drink more protein try and get around 8-9 grams of protein per pound. [/quote]

8-9g/lb ?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
joey eggs wrote:
you need to eat and drink more protein try and get around 8-9 grams of protein per pound.

8-9g/lb ?[/quote]

The guy’s a troll, I saw one of his idiotic earlier posts and decided to see what else he wrote in the day and a half he’s be a member and it’s all a complete waste of space. Either has no clue about anything, or just likes writing complete B.S.

S

stu i can see where you are coming from bra but what you have to understand is that i am real close to getting my pro card this year and bodybuilding is my life. im not going to sit here and waste time telling guys to eat a certain amount of food when its simple not enough to make the gains they want. go on and drink ur rtd drink and read your muscle mags with all your bs info. plain and simple i know what works because im walking proof bra!

[quote]joey eggs wrote:
stu i can see where you are coming from bra but what you have to understand is that i am real close to getting my pro card this year and bodybuilding is my life. im not going to sit here and waste time telling guys to eat a certain amount of food when its simple not enough to make the gains they want. go on and drink ur rtd drink and read your muscle mags with all your bs info. plain and simple i know what works because im walking proof bra! [/quote]

Not that I’m doubting you or anything, but how bout some pics?

Even if the advice is not the norm if you have pics to back it up, people will be more receptive to advice.

[quote]joey eggs wrote:
stu i can see where you are coming from bra but what you have to understand is that i am real close to getting my pro card this year and bodybuilding is my life. im not going to sit here and waste time telling guys to eat a certain amount of food when its simple not enough to make the gains they want. go on and drink ur rtd drink and read your muscle mags with all your bs info. plain and simple i know what works because im walking proof bra! [/quote]

Obvious troll is obvious.