How Much Protein Do You Really Need?

Disagree all you’d like, but take your 400 grams of protein and divide that by my 42 that has a big hole in it, that’s still 9.5 sittings (realistic eating 6 meals and 2-3 shakes in a day) My response was describing how much your body can realistically process at a given time. Take my 42 (average of course) now that’s in an hour. For someone around 200 lbs, very realistic. Sure, taking 400 grams of protein in a day would get better results, if your body is able to utilize all 400 grams. What i’m saying is throwing down a ton of protein at one time is pointless (thus pissing away your $$) It’s very realistic to intake and utilize as much protein as you can in a day as you see fit, but it still won’t change the physiological properties of your ability to process it at a given time.

Scenario: Caveman wakes up, kills a sabretoothed tiger and eats 1 kg of its meat. (200g protein) Just eats berries and shit for the rest of the day. Does he get the same results as if he’d only eaten 200 grams of meat in the morning? (40 grams of protein)

Or what if a guy downs two dozen eggs in the morning and then eats no more protein for the rest of the day. Same results as from seven eggs?

I don’t know but I highly doubt it.

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:
Your body can really only use about 42g of protein at any given time (different body genetics will cause this to vary from person to person) so if you shoot for at least 40grams a meal, you’re good to go.[/quote]

gtfo[/quote]

I have read a lot of your responses and you are a very educated sources when it comes to the topics on these forums, but I’d be interested to hear your response to the topic?[/quote]

My response?

Youre wrong.

pissing out the protein. give me a break. your studies are flawed. talk to people who have walked the walk, not men who spend their time exclusively in lab coats.

We have systems for absorbing lots of food at once. Peptides in duodenum → CCK → decreased ventricular motility and contraction of pylorus → only as much peptides as we can realistically digest at once are ever in the duodenum → big meals work

i’m incredibly poor at the moment… somedays my protein intake is often below 50g :frowning: no loss in strength or size… i wish i could consume more!

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
i’m incredibly poor at the moment… somedays my protein intake is often below 50g :frowning: no loss in strength or size… i wish i could consume more![/quote]

A dozen eggs has 72 grams and cost about a dollar. I’m cutting back on spending but god danm dude 50 grams?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:
Your body can really only use about 42g of protein at any given time (different body genetics will cause this to vary from person to person) so if you shoot for at least 40grams a meal, you’re good to go.[/quote]

gtfo[/quote]

I have read a lot of your responses and you are a very educated sources when it comes to the topics on these forums, but I’d be interested to hear your response to the topic?[/quote]

My response?

Youre wrong.

pissing out the protein. give me a break. your studies are flawed. talk to people who have walked the walk, not men who spend their time exclusively in lab coats. [/quote]

Bonez I have no problem with being being corrected and I would love to further my education on any topic if possible, but in this instance, maybe you should do some research. I have yet to see a lab in a gym, and maybe, just maybe your “research” is flawed. I recall a post of yours that “If you’re going to state an opinion, make sure that is clear.” Go talk to anyone with a biology degree (a real one) or go buy a masters or PHD level Bio or physiology book, like i said get your learn on. it has been scientifically proven and concluded thousands upon thousands of times that EXCESS protein is burned directly into energy (if it’s not used to repair or maintain or build muscle tissues), converted into glucose, or peed out directly. It is actually extremely difficult for your body to convert protein into fat… it almost NEVER happens. So bonez tell me, what happens when you put excess substances into your body? Do you think your piss is all just bc of the water you drank? 95% of it yes, but the other 5% is things your body is getting rid of. I’m sure everyone has had some neon color piss from their multi’s or other supps… why? bc you’re pissing out what isn’t being used!! whether it’s too much of something or a by-product. yes, more than likely, a lab coat is not going to have the experience of throwing iron in the gym like we do, but on the flip side, i’m probably safe to say that you’ve never spent an hour in a lab coat.

In the end, you are always going to encounter tons of advice that is scientifically proven or hearsay, and no matter what, it will always come down to what YOU as an individual, believe is attributing to your success. If you’re building tons of muscle and strength eating 12 eggs at a time and 400grams of protein and no meals the rest of the day so be it. If you have gains all the time without the assistance of protein shakes or supplements, then continue on what you’re doing.

[quote]kakno wrote:
Scenario: Caveman wakes up, kills a sabretoothed tiger and eats 1 kg of its meat. (200g protein) Just eats berries and shit for the rest of the day. Does he get the same results as if he’d only eaten 200 grams of meat in the morning? (40 grams of protein)

Or what if a guy downs two dozen eggs in the morning and then eats no more protein for the rest of the day. Same results as from seven eggs?

I don’t know but I highly doubt it. [/quote]

I don’t know either, because i’m no caveman, but let’s use you as an example. You wake up @ 6am intake 250 grams of protein (however you get it, meat/shakes whatever), and just eat berries the rest of the day. You lift @ 2pm. You only have berries post workout and the rest of the day.

Scenario B:
You wake up at 6am, intake 42 grams of protein and berries. 2-3 hours later you have a similar meal. 2-3 hours after that same thing. 2pm, you head to the gym. After the gym you have a shake, than an hour later a meal 42grams of protein and berries, and then a shake before bed.

Which scenario are YOU going to get more out of? Scenario B, you’ve taken about the same amount of protein in a day as scenario A, but i’d put my money that Scenario B wins with results every day of the week.

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

gtfo[/quote]

My response?

Youre wrong.

pissing out the protein. give me a break. your studies are flawed. talk to people who have walked the walk, not men who spend their time exclusively in lab coats. [/quote]

Bonez I have no problem with being being corrected and I would love to further my education on any topic if possible, but in this instance, maybe you should do some research. I have yet to see a lab in a gym, and maybe, just maybe your “research” is flawed. I recall a post of yours that “If you’re going to state an opinion, make sure that is clear.” Go talk to anyone with a biology degree (a real one) or go buy a masters or PHD level Bio or physiology book, like i said get your learn on. it has been scientifically proven and concluded thousands upon thousands of times that EXCESS protein is burned directly into energy (if it’s not used to repair or maintain or build muscle tissues), converted into glucose, or peed out directly. It is actually extremely difficult for your body to convert protein into fat… it almost NEVER happens. So bonez tell me, what happens when you put excess substances into your body? Do you think your piss is all just bc of the water you drank? 95% of it yes, but the other 5% is things your body is getting rid of. I’m sure everyone has had some neon color piss from their multi’s or other supps… why? bc you’re pissing out what isn’t being used!! whether it’s too much of something or a by-product. yes, more than likely, a lab coat is not going to have the experience of throwing iron in the gym like we do, but on the flip side, i’m probably safe to say that you’ve never spent an hour in a lab coat.

In the end, you are always going to encounter tons of advice that is scientifically proven or hearsay, and no matter what, it will always come down to what YOU as an individual, believe is attributing to your success. If you’re building tons of muscle and strength eating 12 eggs at a time and 400grams of protein and no meals the rest of the day so be it. If you have gains all the time without the assistance of protein shakes or supplements, then continue on what you’re doing.

[/quote]

Hi. I have a Biology Degree. What you wrote about protein turning into fat “almost never happening” seems to ignore the fact that calories exist.

I also don’t intend to waste my time debating this with you any further. I can already tell there are about 5,000 other things way more productive that I could be doing.

But I am amazed someone on this site believes that the human body has been mapped in all situations to ONLY absorb 42gr of protein regardless of size, action, or need.

That number used to be “30”. Clearly, you are trying to kill us.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

gtfo[/quote]

My response?

Youre wrong.

[/quote]

Hi. I have a Biology Degree. What you wrote about protein turning into fat “almost never happening” seems to ignore the fact that calories exist.

I also don’t intend to waste my time debating this with you any further. I can already tell there are about 5,000 other things way more productive that I could be doing.

But I am amazed someone on this site believes that the human body has been mapped in all situations to ONLY absorb 42gr of protein regardless of size, action, or need.

That number used to be “30”. Clearly, you are trying to kill us.[/quote]

I stated, 40-50g of protein depending on the individual, of course someone who is 180lbs compared to 225 or 275 there will be variances. I never stated that the human body has been mapped in ALL situations to ONLY absorb 42g regardless of size, action, or need. I also do understand that calories do exist… but i stated in the beginning i was being “general” with everything. With a biology degree and background, instead of debating, please give us all an understanding. Taking aside the “mapped in all situations/size/action/need”, please correct me as to how much protein the human body can be expected to use at one time, and what happens to the excess protein which is not absorbed.

[quote]kakno wrote:
We have systems for absorbing lots of food at once. Peptides in duodenum → CCK → decreased ventricular motility and contraction of pylorus → only as much peptides as we can realistically digest at once are ever in the duodenum → big meals work[/quote]

One big meal a day is great, ask any sumo wrestler.

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

gtfo[/quote]

My response?

Youre wrong.

[/quote]

uh uh uh, throwing weight around in the gym like WE do? lets see your 250 lbs physique, weight thrower!

besides, we all know the body can only digest 23g of protein at a time. why do you think the supp. companys provide that handy scoop???

what do you call it when someone exceeds fail? lets go with uber-fail.

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

gtfo[/quote]

My response?

Youre wrong.

[/quote]

uh uh uh, throwing weight around in the gym like WE do? lets see your 250 lbs physique, weight thrower!

besides, we all know the body can only digest 23g of protein at a time. why do you think the supp. companys provide that handy scoop???

what do you call it when someone exceeds fail? lets go with uber-fail.[/quote]

250 lb physique… who claimed that?! let’s see yours, weight thrower! very willing to make a smart-ass comment but not offer anything worth contributing to the discussion. what do you call it when someone exceeds dickhead? uber-dickhead!

[/quote]

Scenario B:
You wake up at 6am, intake 42 grams of protein and berries. 2-3 hours later you have a similar meal. 2-3 hours after that same thing. 2pm, you head to the gym. After the gym you have a shake, than an hour later a meal 42grams of protein and berries, and then a shake before bed.
[/quote]

you’re creeping me out…you been stalking me?

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

gtfo[/quote]

My response?

Youre wrong.

[/quote]

250 lb physique… who claimed that?! let’s see yours, weight thrower! very willing to make a smart-ass comment but not offer anything worth contributing to the discussion. what do you call it when someone exceeds dickhead? uber-dickhead![/quote]

dude, relax. dont get your vagina in a knot.

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

gtfo[/quote]

My response?

Youre wrong.

[/quote]

250 lb physique… who claimed that?! let’s see yours, weight thrower! very willing to make a smart-ass comment but not offer anything worth contributing to the discussion. what do you call it when someone exceeds dickhead? uber-dickhead![/quote]

dude, relax. dont get your vagina in a knot. [/quote]

Ah crap, I hate it when that happens. My bad guys. untied

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

gtfo[/quote]

My response?

Youre wrong.

[/quote]

That number used to be “30”. Clearly, you are trying to kill us.[/quote]

I stated, 40-50g of protein depending on the individual, of course someone who is 180lbs compared to 225 or 275 there will be variances. I never stated that the human body has been mapped in ALL situations to ONLY absorb 42g regardless of size, action, or need. I also do understand that calories do exist… but i stated in the beginning i was being “general” with everything. With a biology degree and background, instead of debating, please give us all an understanding. Taking aside the “mapped in all situations/size/action/need”, please correct me as to how much protein the human body can be expected to use at one time, and what happens to the excess protein which is not absorbed.
[/quote]

I see no need at all to make general statements when it comes to bodybuilding nutrition. General advice helps no one. The only thing is does is give statisticians something to do in their free time and provide a reason for research scientists to do their job.

This shit is pointless. People like you always cling to the “science”. For what reason, I have no idea, but you’ll never give in. So go ahead. Eat your cookie cutter dose of protein. Have a good day.

But please dont attempt to sabotage other peoples’ success by telling them that they cant use more than X amount of protein at any given time. Either tailor your reply to the person askign the question or dont bother.

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

Show me a primary resource that confirms this. And no a textbook is not a primary resource its a tertiary, and much less credible. Saying “my teacher told me so” doesn’t work either. Reproduce the study that you got this from, please.

EDIT: I’m not trying to be confrontational. Actually asking.

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

Physiology-Graduate level,
[/quote]

I wasn’t aware they were teaching physiology as it pertains to bodybuilders who do things WAY WAY WAY outside the norm of what is generally studied.

You left yourself leeway with the genetic variance thing but to pretend like this is some agreed upon figure would be wishful thinking.

So in a 16 hour time span(assuming 8 hours of sleep) someone would be able to take in 672 grams according to that 42 grams per hour measure. Agreed or no?

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

I don’t know but I highly doubt it. [/quote]

I don’t know either, because i’m no caveman, but let’s use you as an example. You wake up @ 6am intake 250 grams of protein (however you get it, meat/shakes whatever), and just eat berries the rest of the day. You lift @ 2pm. You only have berries post workout and the rest of the day.

Scenario B:

Which scenario are YOU going to get more out of? Scenario B, you’ve taken about the same amount of protein in a day as scenario A, but i’d put my money that Scenario B wins with results every day of the week.[/quote]

No one is disputing that scenario b will likely be better. But according to your 42 grams of protein (seriously, WTF kind of number is that?) the caveman wastes 158 grams of protein by eating more than 42. That is the only logical meaning of your theory, which you still can’t support. And I think it’s complete bullshit. Did you just divide something with six meals a day or where is this shit coming from?