How Much Protein Do You Really Need?

how much protein is best for gaining mass for an ENDOMORPH? i’ve heard anywhere from 0.5-1.5 per lean body mass

…can anyone give me the real amount? thanks

Did you make any attempt to read the articles that authors have put valuable time/effort/research into? or use the search function to find the threads that have already thoughtfully discussed this topic?

There are hundreds of articles on this.

Depends on the goal and individual response to diet.

Oh, and practicality!

Agreed. There is no magic number.

Why not start off with the lower end of what you’ve heard, try that for a month or two, then increase it a bit, stay there for two months or so. See if there’s a difference, and adjust accordingly?

[quote]sithroya wrote:
how much protein is best for gaining mass for an ENDOMORPH? i’ve heard anywhere from 0.5-1.5 per lean body mass

…can anyone give me the real amount? thanks
[/quote]

For you an your unique genetics it’s exactly 1.082 x your bodyweight you graduated high school at + add the cost of a gallon of premium gasoline at the corner station.

OK now that the secret is out…

1x your body weight is a starting point that would be reasonable unless you are very out of shape, adjust from there over time.

It’s individual. There’s no way we’d know how much you need without more information about you. What size hat do you wear?

Off topic, but I was wondering the lowest amount of protein everybody has consumed while still maintaining size. I’m having a baby soon and will start to drastically reduce my food costs.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
Off topic, but I was wondering the lowest amount of protein everybody has consumed while still maintaining size. I’m having a baby soon and will start to drastically reduce my food costs. [/quote]

This right here is why most of you need to STOP worrying so much about articles and go find a real college biology textbook.

The amount of muscle gained is NOT based directly on how much protein you eat. It is based on your bodies ability to USE BUILDING BLOCKS TO CREATE AMINO ACIDS THAT LEADS TO MUSCULAR GROWTH…which means your genetics, food intake, training and several other variables come into play that dictate how much muscle is gained during a specific period of time.

I made great gains in college with ZERO protein supplements. Hypercaloric intake keeps protein in storage. Adequate carb intake keeps protein from being used as fuel. Your genetics dictate how much muscle is built from how you eat and how you train.

One guy could eat very little protein aside from essential amino acids and make great gains while some other guys drinks protein shakes all day long and makes little to no progress.

Your body does NOT grow muscle based on how much protein you eat in a bubble.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
Off topic, but I was wondering the lowest amount of protein everybody has consumed while still maintaining size. I’m having a baby soon and will start to drastically reduce my food costs. [/quote]

This right here is why most of you need to STOP worrying so much about articles and go find a real college biology textbook.

The amount of muscle gained is NOT based directly on how much protein you eat. It is based on your bodies ability to USE BUILDING BLOCKS TO CREATE AMINO ACIDS THAT LEADS TO MUSCULAR GROWTH…which means your genetics, food intake, training and several other variables come into play that dictate how much muscle is gained during a specific period of time.

I made great gains in college with ZERO protein supplements. Hypercaloric intake keeps protein in storage. Adequate carb intake keeps protein from being used as fuel. Your genetics dictate how much muscle is built from how you eat and how you train.

One guy could eat very little protein aside from essential amino acids and make great gains while some other guys drinks protein shakes all day long and makes little to no progress.

Your body does NOT grow muscle based on how much protein you eat in a bubble.[/quote]

So what’s that? Like 2 hamburgers worth of protein?

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

Why not just shoot for 30 to 50 grams of protein at each meal?

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

eggs, tuna and ground beef are about to become your best friends.

I get 5 dozen eggs for less than 5 dollars…

Congrats, btw.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

eggs, tuna and ground beef are about to become your best friends.

I get 5 dozen eggs for less than 5 dollars…

Congrats, btw.[/quote]

Thanks man. I’ve started eating more eggs, ground turkey, and bulk chicken breast. I’ve also been eating cinnamon rolls, brownies, and ice cream for extra cals. That’s over. Prolly going to lift total body every 4 days for 6 months or so. It’s a break I’m ready to take any way. I just got to 200 lbs and know I’m sure to lose some, but I think I’ll rebound well when I start hitting it hard again.

Your body can really only use about 42g of protein at any given time (different body genetics will cause this to vary from person to person) so if you shoot for at least 40grams a meal, you’re good to go.

[quote]xd40cal wrote:
Your body can really only use about 42g of protein at any given time (different body genetics will cause this to vary from person to person) so if you shoot for at least 40grams a meal, you’re good to go.[/quote]

Where did you get this number? There were some studies done this past yr showing we can only utilize 20 g at a sitting. However, there are other benefits of consuming more protein besides protein synthesis.

[quote]xd40cal wrote:
Your body can really only use about 42g of protein at any given time (different body genetics will cause this to vary from person to person) so if you shoot for at least 40grams a meal, you’re good to go.[/quote]

Curious where you got that number from if you wouldn’t mind explaining. Also if you could explain what at any given time means, is that per meal or in a certain time frame?

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

gtfo

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

Your body does NOT grow muscle based on how much protein you eat in a bubble.[/quote]

I’m surprised this comment has gone unnoticed because this is probably the best post someone can make about protein.

[quote]Scott M wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

Curious where you got that number from if you wouldn’t mind explaining. Also if you could explain what at any given time means, is that per meal or in a certain time frame?

[/quote]

Physiology-Graduate level, and yes it’s true. Most of you tanking down 6 shakes a day + meals are pissing away your money like an alchy, don’t take my word for it, go get a textbook and get your learn on.

Think of it this way, on average, you’re recommended 1 - 1.5 gram(s) of protein per lb of body weight in a day… so if you weight 225, break down your 6 meals a day (assuming that’s what you’re doing) with shakes/supplements and do the math. And as for the time limit or “per sitting” it all depends on your body but a good measure is an hour.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

gtfo[/quote]

I have read a lot of your responses and you are a very educated sources when it comes to the topics on these forums, but I’d be interested to hear your response to the topic?

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[quote]Scott M wrote:

[quote]xd40cal wrote:

[/quote]

Physiology-Graduate level, and yes it’s true. Most of you tanking down 6 shakes a day + meals are pissing away your money like an alchy, don’t take my word for it, go get a textbook and get your learn on.

Think of it this way, on average, you’re recommended 1 - 1.5 gram(s) of protein per lb of body weight in a day… so if you weight 225, break down your 6 meals a day (assuming that’s what you’re doing) with shakes/supplements and do the math. And as for the time limit or “per sitting” it all depends on your body but a good measure is an hour.

[/quote]

Nice Douglas Adams tribute, but I disagree. Of course you don’t NEED 400 grams of protein per day, but people who eat more than that seem to get better results than people who eat 200-250 grams a day. Which shoots a big hole in the number 42.