T Nation

How Much Progress is Enough?

This is just a question, although which i don’t think has any concrte correct answer, i thought would be interesting to find out.

How much progression satisfies you before you change up your routine.

For me it has to be about 5% weight increase or an increase of total reps that equates to at least 1 rep per set on sets that i have not increased the weight that session. Eg. 5 sets - next session at least 5 more reps etc. Or

If I can’t get those I feel that I can be making faster progress using other paremters/exercise.

Just though it might be interesting to know your opinion.

• Phoenix Theory

[quote]Phoenix Theory wrote:
This is just a question, although which i don’t think has any concrte correct answer, i thought would be interesting to find out.

For me it has to be about 5% weight increase or an increase of total reps that equates to at least 1 rep per set on sets that i have not increased the weight that session. Eg. 5 sets - next session at least 5 more reps etc. Or

If I can’t get those I feel that I can be making faster progress using other paremters/exercise.

• Phoenix Theory[/quote]

Why the hell would someone change their routine if they are making progress?

wow, that is so so wrong, why would you ever change your shit up so often, that’s idiotic, if anything you should stick with that because it shows what you are doing is working. god

If you are making progress, that is enough. If you aren’t, that isn’t.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
If you are making progress, that is enough. If you aren’t, that isn’t.[/quote]

Not bad.

For “muscle confusion”, duh. You do realize getting stronger has nothing to do with gaining muscle.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Phoenix Theory wrote:
Poorly written noob-speak.

Why the hell would someone change their routine if they are making progress?[/quote]

I wouldn’t even consider changing my workout if I was making progress. That doesn’t make any sense to me. I’ve gone months without making any changes to my workout because I was still making progress.

I think people are going overboard with all talk of constantly changing their workouts.

From my experience the need to change my routine was at the point I stalled completely on more than half of the movements even with increasing calories. I used a 5X5 scheme for many years before I felt like it no longer produced enough. I then moved on to a 2 day split to reduce the frequency.

This happened for me once the load became too high as my strength level increased. The 2 day split was productive for another few years and again I had to further split the training to a 5 day split to recover. Each time I split further down I would increase the volume slightly.

[quote]Phoenix Theory wrote:

• Phoenix Theory[/quote]

Chaning workouts when you are progressing on one is a fantastic way to get nowhere in bodybuilding.

Okay… Ive learnt my lesson! :frowning:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
If you are making progress, that is enough. If you aren’t, that isn’t.[/quote]

And if a guy gains 6 lbs of muscle in a year of training?

Ummm the guy was asking about making progress on the reps/weight in your training - not about how much muscle gains per year.