T Nation

How Much Olive Oil?

I’m bulking, so, how much olive oil should I consume daily, and how much in a meal?

I’m a big fan of olive oil. It’s easy caloris I can put on salads, scrambled eggs, even on a hamburger. How much?

I take a lot. Probbaly 500+ calories a day from olive oil when I do ingest it.

epitome.

[quote]UrbanSmooth wrote:
I’m bulking, so, how much olive oil should I consume daily, and how much in a meal?[/quote]

Nobody’s going to be able to put a number on that for you. Figure it’s what, about 120 cals or so a tablespoon and factor that in to your daily intake and macro breakdown.

If I remember correctly, olive oil is all omega-6, so make sure your omega-3:omega-6 ratio doesn’t get too bad. I would say pop some fish oil capsules for every few tablespoons of olive oil.

But, keep in mind that Dave Barr has his athletes sip olive oil throughout the day! Its good stuff, and could be a part of every meal.

What happens if the omega ratio gets bad?

Also, I’m doing 6 shots of Olive Oil a day. Trying to bulk up early next year.

Olive oil is a great source of MUFA’s drink up just be sure to not short your self on PUFA’s and Sat’s.

Search and read the Fats roundtables that will help,

Phill

IIRC, olive oil does not upset the omega 6 to omega 3 ratio and most of the fatty acids are actually omega 9 (oleic acid).

Omega 9 fatty acids are not classified as essential fatty acids due to the fact they can be created by the human body.

As a point of reference, I get 400-500 kcal from olive oil a day on a 4.000-4.500 kcal diet.

By the way, here is a pretty good overview on Wikipedia on omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids…

This part specifically covers the ratio between the two…