How Much Oatmeal Pre/Post-WO?

30g of oatmeal provides 4g protein and 15g carbs?? so would it be a good idea to have about 100g pre or post workout??

Oatmeal should be a morning food. Slow digesting carbs will provide energy for the day. You should take in a faster burning fuel before and after workouts. I like waxy maize post workout. It helps shuttle amino acids into the muscle, and is a great stack with creatine.

well i use oatmeal throughout the day in my shakes for carbs, but im bulking. if your bulking aswell, though i have a feeling your not, it wouldnt be a bad idea to supplement your carb intake that way.

oh ok, well see i think my problem is i have an huge appetite, especially around training. i gained 3kg last week, i am bulking, but i think that i am gaining at too fast a rate, cuz i know it couldnt all be muscle. oatmeal keeps me full, so i was thinking of having a big serving before training (100g), and then more afterwards, with honey or something (for simple carbs).

what i was really getting at with my first post is, a large amount of oatmeal, doesnt really provide many calories, correct? so if i just made myself full with that, i wouldn’t be hungry anymore, might sound stupid on a bulk, but i think i may have a slow metabolism or something, i was just thinking of trying it until i hit a plateau with me weight gain, then i can add in more calories. does this sound like a good plan? or am i missing something? help would be appreciated!

[quote]BarMan wrote:
Oatmeal should be a morning food. Slow digesting carbs will provide energy for the day. You should take in a faster burning fuel before and after workouts. I like waxy maize post workout. It helps shuttle amino acids into the muscle, and is a great stack with creatine.[/quote]

Well, waxy maize is a “slow” carb, too, so it’s not what you necessarily want with creatine, although I don’t think it will hurt.

[quote]ghostofbellstar wrote:
30g of oatmeal provides 4g protein and 15g carbs?? so would it be a good idea to have about 100g pre or post workout??[/quote]

I use oatmeal preworkout very often. I’ll usually have a couple servings (54g CHO) with 1-2 servings fruit – use however much you need to match your macronutrient goals.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
BarMan wrote:
Oatmeal should be a morning food. Slow digesting carbs will provide energy for the day. You should take in a faster burning fuel before and after workouts. I like waxy maize post workout. It helps shuttle amino acids into the muscle, and is a great stack with creatine.

Well, waxy maize is a “slow” carb, too, so it’s not what you necessarily want with creatine, although I don’t think it will hurt.[/quote]

I thought waxy maize was a ‘fast carb’ with a low impact on insulin secretion?

OP - the protein in oatmeal is not complete. You need a better source of protein besides the oatmeal in your pre-workout meal. A bowl of oatmeal with a scoop of whey in in 45 minutes before training is a pre-workout meal I’ll have every so often.

if the protein is incomplete, that doesnt mean you can’t use it, or do you just need another source to make it complete?.. i don’t have any protein powder so i’ve opted for oats and tuna post workout.

faster burning fuels pre workout increase seratonin, rip through you faster so no other fuels are being used.
decrease gh, and increase lactic acid.

oat meal is barely slow burning if its not steel cut.

Your better off loading up with bcaas, creatine glutamine and some whey,
plus energy drink of choice!

spares glycogen,
stimulates nervous system.
high alertness!

youve been speared.