How Much Muscle Loss

i started at 330 pounds at about 36% body fat. as of today im 280 pounds at 32% body fat. i know im going to loose some from cutting such a huge amount of weight, but i started off with abou 200 lean, how much can i expect to loose?

not much. i am dieting myself right now. with my diet ive lost 12lbs. of fat so far and gained 3lbs. of muscle with under 2000 calories. dont worry about muscle loss. i believe you should staw away from cardio. and work off your fat after workouts on a treadmill. go on it for an hour at 3.0mph on an incline. this will target fat and have the least amount of muscle breakdown. bikes and cardio eat your muscle away. make sure to just do it after workouts and you shouldnt experience much in terms of muscle loss. i lost 12lbs. in 6 weeks.

[quote]trojanman wrote:
not much. i am dieting myself right now. with my diet ive lost 12lbs. of fat so far and gained 3lbs. of muscle with under 2000 calories. dont worry about muscle loss. i believe you should staw away from cardio. and work off your fat after workouts on a treadmill. go on it for an hour at 3.0mph on an incline. this will target fat and have the least amount of muscle breakdown. bikes and cardio eat your muscle away. make sure to just do it after workouts and you shouldnt experience much in terms of muscle loss. i lost 12lbs. in 6 weeks. [/quote]

An hour on a treadmill isnt cardio?

yeah id consider that alot of cardio. but seriously how much should i accept as NORMAL muscle loss? and at what point shoudl i be saying “okay im not eating enough as im consuming way too much muscle mass” i get checked once a month to see how im doing so i can keep track and monitor

[quote]john-lennon wrote:
i started at 330 pounds at about 36% body fat. as of today im 280 pounds at 32% body fat. i know im going to loose some from cutting such a huge amount of weight, but i started off with abou 200 lean, how much can i expect to loose? [/quote]

Based on this, you’ve lost about 20 lbs of LBM and 30 lbs of fat. That’s a lot of muscle. I’m dieting as well. I’ve lost 10 lbs total so far (185 to 175) - 5 lbs of fat, 0.5 lbs of muscle and the rest water/glycogen.

Are you lifting with low volume and for strength or are you lifting with light weights and high reps? Also, how many cals below maintenance are you eating?

yeah id consider that alot of cardio. but seriously how much should i accept as NORMAL muscle loss? and at what point shoudl i be saying “okay im not eating enough as im consuming way too much muscle mass” i get checked once a month to see how im doing so i can keep track and monitor[/quote]

I would say no more than 1 pounds of LBM for every 10-15 pounds of fat. I just pulled that number out of my ass, but it seems to make sense, especially if you are only dieting down to 8% or 10%. I would imagine getting leaner than that would be a bit harder to keep the LBM.

im lifting for strength 3 full body workouts a week with two HIIT cardio days. there is no way ive lost 15-20 pounds of LBM because all my muscle measurements are hovering around the same place. mabye the testing machine is just wrong. but i know im going to loose a bit of LBM going from 36% body fat down to my goal of 10% thats a long time to be working in negative energy

lbm does not equate to muscle

lbm is everything except fat

you shouldn’t lose muscle on a diet

50 lb weight loss is only a 4% drop in bodyfat? You’re either calculating wrong or doing something wrong. What’s your diet and training look like?

Hows the strength that the best test. if staying the same or rising your doing good Id accept NO damn muscle loss or as little as possible. If losing a ton and not cuttting to low single digits your doing something wrong and need to change that.

my strength was going up every week now on a few lifts its stuck the same.

and you cant say that you wont loose ANY lean body mass, thats impossible man, espeically when you are trying to loose 100+ pounds of fat… you WILL loose some im just wondering how much is acceptible.

my first test i was 314 pounds or about there and 36% body fat and now im 280 and 32% i started at 330 however iddnt test till 314

[quote]Phill wrote:
Hows the strength that the best test. if staying the same or rising your doing good Id accept NO damn muscle loss or as little as possible. If losing a ton and not cuttting to low single digits your doing something wrong and need to change that.
[/quote]

damn this guy is good. maintain the strength, lose the fat, fuck the rest. oh snap, did i just type that?

what i meant was … this …

don’t put too much faith into bf% measurements when they are at high numbers (>20%) … go by the mirror, the tape (ie waist), and keep the strength up … still i am all googoogaga over Phill with one too many L’s

my strength was going up every week now on a few lifts its stuck the same.

and you cant say that you wont loose ANY lean body mass, thats impossible man, espeically when you are trying to loose 100+ pounds of fat… you WILL loose some im just wondering how much is acceptible.

my first test i was 314 pounds or about there and 36% body fat and now im 280 and 32% i started at 330 however iddnt test till 314[/quote]

I have to call bullshit on this. Yes yes you can. I went from 300-215 in less than 6 months and gained strength along the way by working out so thats 85lbs fat loss and more than likely muscle gain.

At that high of BF% there is No good reason to be getting weaker when dieting hell your carrying around a literal 24 hour buffet on your body to feed the muscles.

im not getting weaker, and gaining strength doesnt always mean your building muscle mass? or does it? my squat and DL go up alot every week but my bench and row are DEAD set and wont budge

oh and also i was eating more before but not loosing much at all, about 1 pound every two weeks, which is sad when your REALLY over weight, so i cut the food back and now im actually loosing 2 sometimes a bit more a week, depends. ill loose nothing all week and then when monday comes after my weekends off, bam 2 or 3 pounds dropped off