How Much Muscle Gain Weekly/Monthly

I’m going on a clean bulk soon for the first time in my life, so I’m reading articles and asking questions left and right. One of the things that nobody seems to agree on is the amount of muscle mass one can expect to gain (weekly/monthly).

Why is it that nobody can agree on this subject? I read articles that say I say I shouldn’t expect to put on any more than 1.5 lbs of lean muscle a month, while I’ve read in a different article that 2 lbs a week (of mostly muscle) can be expected. I’ve asked my friend at the gym, who used to be a powerlifter, and he said at my age, I can even put on up to 4 lbs a week (of mostly muscle). .

What have been your experiences with muscle gain and about how much lean mass do you add to your frame on a weekly/monthly average? In the end, does the amount of lean muscle one can hope to accumulate largely just depend on the individual person, and some people can in fact, gain more than just a 1 lb a month, while others are lucky if they do??

Most of you need to quit reading and go lift. I am being serious. I gained about 20lbs in the first couple of months I was lifting. One guy I trained, my frat brother, did similarly without any discernible gain in body fat. No one can predict how much muscle someone else can gain in a given time period and no one gains muscle in a linear fashion.

Growth comes in spurts. That is coming from someone with a biology degree and an DMD/DDS degree who has been training for over a decade. Most of the crap you read on this subject is just that and no beginner should be holding back progress because they have been led to believe that they can only gain EXACTLY 1.5lbs in a month.

The entire concept is retarded and there are far too many of you getting caught up on the most minor details rather than doing everything possible to gain. That is why your “clean bulk” will likely be a failure…because anyone being that restrictive with their food intake won’t be growing much.

It is really sad that personal trainers can write things this ridiculous and the progress of thousands can actually be stunted by it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Most of you need to quit reading and go lift. I am being serious. I gained about 20lbs in the first couple of months I was lifting. One guy I trained, my frat brother, did similarly without any discernible gain in body fat. No one can predict how much muscle someone else can gain in a given time period and no one gains muscle in a linear fashion.

Growth comes in spurts. That is coming from someone with a biology degree and an DMD/DDS degree who has been training for over a decade. Most of the crap you read on this subject is just that and no beginner should be holding back progress because they have been led to believe that they can only gain EXACTLY 1.5lbs in a month.

The entire concept is retarded and there are far too many of you getting caught up on the most minor details rather than doing everything possible to gain. That is why your “clean bulk” will likely be a failure…because anyone being that restrictive with their food intake won’t be growing much.

It is really sad that personal trainers can write things this ridiculous and the progress of thousands can actually be stunted by it.[/quote]

Thanks for confirming my sentiments. I too believed that there is no way some guy writing an article on a forum can know the capabilities of my body. Just wanted to get a second opinion on the matter is all.

That is why your “clean bulk” will likely be a failure…because anyone being that restrictive with their food intake won’t be growing much.
[/quote]

Why won’t his clean bulk work? As long as he’s eating enough, he’ll be fine. You don’t need to eat crap to get the cals in, I, along with many other people can easily eat enough clean food to make daily requirements.

-dizzle

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
Professor X wrote:
That is why your “clean bulk” will likely be a failure…because anyone being that restrictive with their food intake won’t be growing much.

Why won’t his clean bulk work? As long as he’s eating enough, he’ll be fine. You don’t need to eat crap to get the cals in, I, along with many other people can easily eat enough clean food to make daily requirements.

-dizzle[/quote]

I am tired of getting into these arguments with you because you blatantly miss the point. It then needs to be explained to you several pages over before you FINALLY even begin to understand what was stated in the first place. With that in mind, nowhere did I write that he needed to eat “crap”. You came up with that all on your own. No one knows why.

You casually skipped over the concept that there are people out there actually trying to only gain 1.5lbs of weight a month because they read that somewhere. This now needs to be dragged out into several paragraphs as I explain to you that overly restrictive food intakes when someone is a beginner would be a mistake as far as overall progress.

We then need to get into the semantics of what “clean” even means and why so many newbies actually believe that all they can eat is rolled oats and chicken breasts lest they be layered with sheets of immoveable body fat that they can’t get rid of.

No, I think that will be all I discuss with you on the subject.

A-Dizz wrote:
Professor X wrote:

-dizzle

I am tired of getting into these arguments with you because you blatantly miss the point. It then needs to be explained to you several pages over before you FINALLY even begin to understand what was stated in the first place. With that in mind, nowhere did I write that he needed to eat “crap”. You came up with that all on your own. No one knows why.

You casually skipped over the concept that there are people out there actually trying to only gain 1.5lbs of weight a month because they read that somewhere. This now needs to be dragged out into several paragraphs as I explain to you that overly restrictive food intakes when someone is a beginner would be a mistake as far as overall progress.

We then need to get into the semantics of what “clean” even means and why so many newbies actually believe that all they can eat is rolled oats and chicken breasts lest they be layered with sheets of immoveable body fat that they can’t get rid of.

No, I think that will be all I discuss with you on the subject.[/quote]

First of all I’ve never adressed an argument to you directly before this, and as far as I know you haven’t done the same towards me, so unless I’m missing something I don’t understand how you can be tired of getting into “these” arguments with me.

Secondly, I did not skip over the idea that people are limiting themselves to how much LBM they can gain in a certain period of time. I understood that, but I saw something in your post that I didn’t agree with and decided to comment on it.

Third, my original understanding of that paragraph of your post was that you thought it would be impossible to have a successful clean bulk. Upon reading it again, I see that your intention was different, but I didn’t read it as such the first time around. I now understand what your original point was, and I apologize.

It was wrong of me to automatically assume you thought that he needed to eat anything and everything to get big (which seems to be the theme around here as of late).

Lastly, I have no intention of getting into what a clean bulk really entials. So before your panties get even more twisted and knotted up, let’s just end the argument here.

To the OP: everyone is different. You may gain a pound of LBM a week whereas your best friend will gain that much in a month, or vice versa. The only way to find out is to lift heavy, eat right, and hope for the best.

Don’t limit yourself by anything, let alone conflicting internet articles.

[quote]Velz wrote:
Why is it that nobody can agree on this subject?
[/quote]

Because everyone is different, as for the clean bulk what you wanna do is write down how much you think you need to bulk, then double it. Then see what result you can get.