How Much Muscle Did You Add After 40?

Assuming you started BEFORE 40, that is!!

Question only to those OVER 40, please.

Well now, let’s see…

I’m over 40, but I didn’t start before 40, but if I did start before 40, maybe I’d have an answer.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Well now, let’s see…

I’m over 40, but I didn’t start before 40, but if I did start before 40, maybe I’d have an answer.[/quote]

Hmmmm?

Same here…was a highschool athlete, and even a little college. But then it was career, wife and kids for nearly two deacades. At 41 started lifting again, went from 160lb to 200lb.

I think it’s a bit more complicated than asking how much muscle you can add after 40? Age is only one factor. Did the subject have an athletic background? Did they lift productively prior to age 40 and for how long? Any existing injuries? What was their stress level prior to 40? All that stuff has to be taken into consideration.

a lot of people started lifting before age 40, but they never learned how to lift productively or eat properly (for gains) until much later. And IMO, your 30’s are probably some of the most stressful years of your life (think: marriage, kids, careers), which doesn’t always help progress.

Bottom line, depending upon your situation you could have been lifting for 10 or more years, and when you hit 40 suddenly make the best gains of your life. Stranger things have happened!

Cappy

[quote]daddyzombie wrote:
Same here…was a highschool athlete, and even a little college. But then it was career, wife and kids for nearly two deacades. At 41 started lifting again, went from 160lb to 200lb.[/quote]

What was the heaviest you weighed during the younger years in training?

[quote]Jaybee wrote:
daddyzombie wrote:
Same here…was a highschool athlete, and even a little college. But then it was career, wife and kids for nearly two deacades. At 41 started lifting again, went from 160lb to 200lb.

[/quote]

This was back in the 70s and early 80s. Like Cappy suggested, I didn’t really know how to eat properly, or for that matter train properly. I’d say at 25 yrs old I was about 170.

Jaybee wrote:
daddyzombie wrote:

This was back in the 70s and early 80s. Like Cappy suggested, I didn’t really know how to eat properly, or for that matter train properly. I’d say at 25 yrs old I was about 170.
[/quote]

Adjusting for muscle memory, that would be a 30Ibs gain, although I presume not all of the gain was muscle. How old are you now, if I may ask?

[quote]Jaybee wrote:

although I presume not all of the gain was muscle. How old are you now, if I may ask?[/quote]

And you’d be right about that! :wink:

I’m 48 next month.

Jaybee wrote:

although I presume not all of the gain was muscle. How old are you now, if I may ask?

And you’d be right about that! :wink:

I’m 48 next month.

[/quote]

I think, with continuous high protein and heavy compounds, you could slam on another 20Ibs, almost all muscle, by 50.

[quote]Jaybee wrote:
Assuming you started BEFORE 40, that is!!

Question only to those OVER 40, please.[/quote]

Well, probably gained about twenty pounds of muscle from where I was at 245 on my way to the 170s. Lost a lot of fat too.

I started lifting at 14, became serious and consistent about 20,powerlifted from 27-29 and weighed about 215. Then came grad school, career and family. I kept training but very sporadic and got serious again around 38. Back into powerlifting again at 39/40.

I really don’t know what has happened to my body composition, but it has improved.