How Much Mono & Polyunsaturated Fat?

I’ve been reading a lot lately on the rough amount of saturated fat a bodybuilder should ingest, but I haven’t seen much on mono-unsaturated & polyunsaturated amounts. Can someone drop some knowledge?

Out of fatigue and a feeling of futility, this time I will leave alone that entirely different fats should not be lumped together as “polyunsaturated” with an effort to achieve some lump total.

Oleic acid: There is no sharp cutoff. Approximately 400 calories per day from olive oil has been shown to have good benefit for health and body composition but there are certainly benefits below this level. Two tbsp per day is a reasonable thing to add to the diet, keeping in mind that if this is addition of total calories rather than substitution then fat loss will be slowed by nearly that amount of calories, or fat gain will be accelerated by some amount.

Lauric acid: Ditto on their being no sharp cutoff. Two tbsp per day is very good; one tbsp is certainly of benefit; probably something less than this is of benefit too, just not as much.

GLA: With regard to age, again this is a no-sharp-cutoff thing, but for example if in the 20s there probably is no issue with GLA as natural conversion will produce a good amount, but if older than this GLA will likely help. I’m having a little uncertainty in recalling but 285 mg/day comes to mind as a figure for which there is good research showing good benefit: somewhat more than this can be of further benefit in many cases. But again if youthful enough it may not be needed at all.

DHA: A couple of grams a day is quite good but one can get by on considerably less. One could get by just with eating cold-water oily fish a few times a week or to some extent even just once or twice.

EPA: I don’t have an exact figure in my head: something like 800 mg/day is really good but again one can get by with less.

Linoleic: Very few are likely to be on the side of needing more of this than they already get.

Arachidonic: I wouldn’t have a figure but getting some of this from, for example, eggs is a good thing IMO. I consider the attacks on arachidonic acid by such as Barry Sears to be junk science. I don’t have the references at hand now and wouldn’t so conveniently find them again, but there are anti-inflammatory effects as well as its being a substrate for inflammatory substances. It’s not the one-sided story that these people tell.

Nothing wrong with 12 eggs per day for a bb’er. Not that you have to do that though.

(Edit: the above is not saying that each of these is polyunsaturated. One is monounsaturated and one is saturated. I did not bring this out because it is unnecessary and tends actually to act as disinformation: information leading to poorer knowledge, due to going and doing things with it such as lumping things together and aiming for totals of the lumped categories.)

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Arachidonic: I wouldn’t have a figure but getting some of this from, for example, eggs is a good thing IMO. I consider the attacks on arachidonic acid by such as Barry Sears to be junk science. I don’t have the references at hand now and wouldn’t so conveniently find them again, but there are anti-inflammatory effects as well as its being a substrate for inflammatory substances. It’s not the one-sided story that these people tell.
[/quote]

Even if it was somewhat bad, shouldn’t it be balanced by the fact all the nutrients are in the yolk.
I was pretty upset when i read his views on eggs. Don’t get me wrong, I couldn’t saute Barry’s Soy in the smarts department, but I just felt this was a classic case of going too far on one principle (the whole eicosanoid deal).
Thanks for your insight, Bill.