How Much Money Do You Live On?

Mortgage - $675 (includes taxes and insurance)
Child Support - $650 (three more years)
Truck - $0 (paid off)
Motorcycle - $300 (cannot wait for spring pay off)
Utilities - $240 (gas, electric, water, cell and trash)
Gasoline - $250
Groceries - $250
Clothing and Entertainment - $100
Truck & Bike Insurance - $100
Retirement - $600
Dog - $25

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Utilities - 225
Gasoline - 400
Food - 800-1000
Insurance - 400
Internet - 25
Satellite - 100
Cell Phone - 180

This is for a family of 4

No mortgage or car payment. [/quote]

Do you have property tax?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Chewie wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Utilities - 225
Gasoline - 400
Food - 800-1000
Insurance - 400
Internet - 25
Satellite - 100
Cell Phone - 180

No mortgage or car payment.

Property Tax?

I write it off with my business property taxes, so I don’t consider it a living expense. [/quote]

Nevermind.

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Holy crap!

Look how we are getting raped with cell phone bills!

My girl and I split ~$1700/month. [/quote]

Cell phone companies are the debbil!

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Utilities - 225
Gasoline - 400
Food - 800-1000
Insurance - 400
Internet - 25
Satellite - 100
Cell Phone - 180

No mortgage or car payment. [/quote]

No mortgage is awesome.

Rent - 375
Gas/Electric - 75
Gas/Auto Maintenance - 125
Food/Dog Food and Supplies - 300
Student Loan - 50
Cell Phone - 40
Gym - 18
Entertainment/Recreation - 200

What amazes me about my families expenses is we spend way more on food than on anything else. It’s been a long time since I crunched the numbers but I think it’s about 8 or 900 on food and our mortgage is less than 600. I’m not counting dinning out as a food expense.

[quote]animalmj wrote:
Mort- 1850
Ins(Home+vehicles)-250
Cable,Int&phon- 160
elect-150
nat.gas- 55
water/sewer- 40
gym- 50
house alarm- 25
food- 450
gasoline- 450
car- 400

I am single, and now depressed after completing this excercise. Thanks alot, Joe84

[/quote]

I feel you when I saw Joe84 I thought I was losing my mind, I think its just the fact we live in New Jersey.

How in the blue coated fuck do some of you guys only spend $150 A MONTH on food?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
How in the blue coated fuck do some of you guys only spend $150 A MONTH on food? [/quote]

They must eat 1500 cals a day…you can’t even fill a cart with food for 150 bucks.

I’m a college student who only has 100 a week to spend on things like gas, food, and luxuries.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
How in the blue coated fuck do some of you guys only spend $150 A MONTH on food? [/quote]

I eat about three deer, 50 pheasant, a few dozen doves, 20 or so quail, 15 bunnies and maybe 24 ducks annually. You can also add to that list of tasty protein, several hundred bluegill, crappie, bass and catfish.

In short, I grocery shop with a gun in the fall and a fishing pole in the summer. Fortunately, my guns and fishing equipment have all been amortized off the books. Sadly, a nice Spanish double has caught my eye.

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
How in the blue coated fuck do some of you guys only spend $150 A MONTH on food?

I eat about three deer, 50 pheasant, a few dozen doves, 20 or so quail, 15 bunnies and maybe 24 ducks annually. You can also add to that list of tasty protein, several hundred bluegill, crappie, bass and catfish.

In short, I grocery shop with a gun in the fall and a fishing pole in the summer. Fortunately, my guns and fishing equipment have all been amortized off the books. Sadly, a nice Spanish double has caught my eye. [/quote]

Yes indeed, not only do you get kick ass healthful exercise you load the freezer up with lean free range protein all while maximizing vitamin D absorption. What can beat that? Regarding the Spanish double, I know what you mean. A Howa thumbhole varmint rifle in 204 Ruger has caught my eye and that does cause problems.

D

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

In short, I grocery shop with a gun in the fall and a fishing pole in the summer. Fortunately, my guns and fishing equipment have all been amortized off the books. Sadly, a nice Spanish double has caught my eye. [/quote]

Well that’s pretty awesome.

I try to eat 5-10 babies annually.

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

I am thoroughly jealous. What do you spend on equipment maintenance, traveling to hunt, ammunition, and permits? I’m sure the meat makes up for it, but I’ve heard from some hunters that it can be expensive.

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

I do nearly the same thing - but I prefer a Blacktail crossbow. I use my uncles hunting land to get some food + fishing in a nearby lake. Myself and 4 other people split the cost of getting a cow butchered, which gives a crap load of steak and ribs and roast. I also get my hands on a chicken or two a month and clean them. Fish is easy to clean and in good supply.

Veggies are ultra cheap at a ‘pick what you want’ farm nearby, and there’s fruit trees (apples, pears, cherries) nearby for free, and a walnut tree about half a mile away that I frequent this time of the year. The rest of the money goes to vitamins and protein powder.

Have you ever tried Elk sausage? Very spicy.

$2,400 Mortgage (Calif)
200 Heating/Air/Elec
90 Water Sewer
110 DTV and Internet
400 auto/life Ins.
400 GAS Card (Anyone use GAS??? 3.22 for 87oct)
300 Misc Credit Card Monthly Expenses
278 Car paymt.
28 Phone
160 Cell
850 Food/Dry Goods
100 Dogs food and meds.
200 Shoes (Wife)
150 HomeDepot/Sams
500 401k Expense Monthly
75 Gym Family membership.

These are Minimum Monthly Expenses. Now I’m depressed too.

2 Adults working… 1 Full Time, 1 PT. 2 small children. 2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 fish. 3 cars.

I can’t wait to buy a ranch in Wyoming or something at the end part of the rat race!

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
VanderLaan wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

In short, I grocery shop with a gun in the fall and a fishing pole in the summer. Fortunately, my guns and fishing equipment have all been amortized off the books. Sadly, a nice Spanish double has caught my eye.

Well that’s pretty awesome.

I try to eat 5-10 babies annually.

[/quote]

That’s why you are such a fat bastard.

I’m in the process of buying a home. So my mortgage will be more than my rent starting in January 2008.

My current rent: $1,085
Mortgage for 2008: $1,290
Mortgage for 2009: $1,480

Homeowner’s Association: $25

The difference in mortgage from 08-09 is because I’m buying a new home. I only have to pay taxes on the land for the first year. The second year includes the true amount for taxes (both figures include insurance).

Utilities: $70-$160 (varies - will go down in the new home since it’s an Energy Star home and a CFL home).

Food: $200-$400 (includes going out for food)

Car Insurance: $72

Cell Phone: $59

Medical: $0-$100 (depends on if I have a doctor’s appointment)

Credit Card: $0-$2500 (this depends on if I have a balance and how much of a balance I have. I’m currently paying off two 0% interest cards. Whenever I have something on a credit card, I try to pay as much as I can as fast as I can to pay it off. Once it’s paid off, the money I would pay on a credit card goes to savings).

Biotest: ~$200 every other month or so.

Misc.: $0-$100 (movies, clubs, other entertainment)

Cable/Internet: FREE (paid for by my job since we handle the advertising for Cox Media in our area - a nice perk of my job valued at $150 a month).

Gas: FREE (my job pays this for me as well).

Home Cleaning Services: FREE (paid for by my job. We handle the advertising for a local house cleaning service).

[quote]Schwarzenegger wrote:

I am thoroughly jealous. What do you spend on equipment maintenance, traveling to hunt, ammunition, and permits? I’m sure the meat makes up for it, but I’ve heard from some hunters that it can be expensive.[/quote]

You are correct that the equipment and tags can get a bit steep. I am fortunate enough to live about ten miles from a very large state park where I can hunt birds and rabbits for the price of a hunting/fishing license and habitat stamp - about $25 a year. They also hold controlled pheasant hunts where you pay $15 for two birds (and up to six quail and four rabbits). Deer and turkey tags are over and above your general license and cost $15 each.

I have friends that shoot four five deer a year and they know who to call to get rid of any extra (tip- do not ever turn one down, even if you end up regifting it). I also pick up roadkilled deer when possible (of course, I have to see them get hit). Processing a deer at the local locker costs $65 and a good sized doe will get you about 60 lbs of meat.

If I travel out of state, say to Kansas or North Dakota for bird hunting, I will spend about $200 for a non-resident license, a $150 for gas, $100 for lodging and $100 for food. Last fall I brought home 15 cock pheasant and 30 ducks from North Dakota. I usually travel about every other year. I intend to take my father to Iowa this fall, as he is getting up there in age. That trip will be shorter and closer to home, so it will cost less.

As far as equipment goes, like every other endeavor, you can spend what you want. My favorite shotgun is a Browning Citori that cost me $1,000. I have a rocket-fueled face licker for a bird dog that cost me $900. My windproof wool sweater, chaps and shooting vest are from Filson and cost me about $450. I used to buy cheap stuff, but have since learned that you buy quality once and it lasts forever (except my dog - which I would trade all of the above for in a heartbeat). That said, lots of guys kill lots of birds with a $300 870 pump and Carhartt bibs (that is how I started).

With regards to fishing, I have access to several private lakes and farm ponds in the area and there are several public lakes within a half hour drive. I usually fish from a friend’s bass boat or my canoe. I have over a dozen fishing rods, but my favorite pole is a $8 fiberglass cane pole. With that pole and a $3 tube of crickets, I can put 35 palm-sized bluegills in the boat in a spring evening. I also ice fish in the winter and have caught 5 gallon buckets of bluegills. If you are ever in central Illinois, drop me a line and I will take you fishing. I will also treat you to a fish fry. Fried gills and crappie, with fresh slaw and fries are the best - be sure you are bulking. :slight_smile:

In short, I have spent a good chunk of change on hunting and fishing gear. While I could buy a hell of a lot of meat with the money that I could get for selling all of my gear, the reality is now that I have all the gear I need, the cost to me is usually gas, tags and shells. My dog has a list of costs too, but I am a dog man that would have one whether it hunted or not. The truth is, I would hunt whether I got all the food that I do or not. The freezer of protein is a byproduct of doing what I enjoy - being outdoors, watching the dog I trained work a running rooster and seeing a big bluegill streak across the shallows to inhale my cricket. I am sure that many outdoorsmen feel the same.

Sorry for the long answer. I hope that answers your question.