How Much Milk Do YOU Drink?

Currently I don’t drink any and stick to a little cheese every day. If I ever decide to do this “bulk” thing that people do, I’ll add it back in.

3 cups of 1% Daily. 1 cup with each large meal together with my supps, ie…breakfast, lunch, dinner. Hope that helps.

[quote]the judo kid wrote:
hey i have noticed that alot of the articles on T-Nation talk about not drinking to much milk but i am just woundering what you fellow T-nationers think and how much you drink?[/quote]

the judo kid,

How much milk do YOU drink?

I drink a gallon of skim milk every 5-7 days.

I probably drink a half-gallon every few days.

I drink about 2-3 cups per week, on my cheat day, and just because I like the taste.

[quote]Brett T. wrote:
I’m curious as to how lean people can get with dairy. I have no reason to think that one cannot both drink milk daily and have visible vascularity as well as visible abs.[/quote]

I’ve read reports of studies that have shown that people that consume adequate amounts of calcium (mainly from milk and milk products) lose more fat or are slimmer than those who don’t.

Apparently, it’s the calcium that’s the key, but I don’t know how it affects fat-loss or leanness.

A little over 2 gallons per week.

[quote]Brett T. wrote:
I’m curious as to how lean people can get with dairy. I have no reason to think that one cannot both drink milk daily and have visible vascularity as well as visible abs.

I’ll be curious to hear how your “experiment” goes.[/quote]

When I used to try to be as lean as possible during wrestling, I would get to around 6% and sometimes a little less. This included lots of milk and just about everything else a teen age kid eats.

With no emphasis on being lean, I hung out at around 7-9%, and in a current state of eating with the purpose of gaining, I’m probably at 10-12%.

I’m sure that with some changes in emphasis, even including dairy, I could get down to 8 or so without any problem.

Other people are probably different though. I’ve always been lean, and at 170 I’m about as heavy as I’ve ever been, and this is as much fat as I’ve ever carried.

1/2 Gallon whole milk daily.

i drink about a cup and a half of goats milk/day… and two cups of yogurt…

Interesting topic considering I completly eliminated Milk from my diet 1 month ago. I thought I would loose strength, but I just added a little more protein powder to my shakes, and compensated in other foods and I see no ill-effects. In fact my strength has been improving steadily like normal.

Going by one of those bodyfat scales my bodyfat % was consistently 14%, now it’s consistently 12%. Now those scales aren’t acurate, but if the number is droping, your bodyfat is most likely droping, the number itself is probably off. Besides that, I can see a slight difference in the mirror, very slight, it’s only been a month, and all I did was remove milk from my diet. I use to drink about 4-6 large glasses a day. Your asking how? Well I’m looking at a skim milk label and it reads: Calories 90, Protein 9g, Sugar 11g.

Think about it, I was drinking about 2 litres a day, that’s 720 calories, 72g protein, 88g of sugar. 88g of sugar! I was spiking my insulin throughout the day, when I woke up, when I ate, when I went to sleep. So I started eating more vegies and fruit, and added more protein powder.

[quote]kerwyn wrote:
NONE…

benefits does not outweight the problems…
[/quote]

Can you expand on that please?

Whole milk, 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon daily.

It’s great for extra calories–3200 in one gallon, and easy to eat/drink quickly if in a rush. Barring GI tract problems of course.

You don’t think they work even on a relative level? So if you dropped from 20% to 15%, you wouln’t beleive you’ve dropped bodyfat at all? I disagree fully.

On top of that, I stated I have been seeing slight visible difference. Out of all the posters that said they drank milk everyday a couple times a day, how many of you are under 8% bodyfat @ at the very least 170 pounds body weight? Probably not too many, if any. Why I have I read so many experienced athletes/coaches not reccommend milk? It’s great for gaining weight, of course, nothings easier and cheaper than drinking liters of milk everyday. But it’s just that, a cheap alternative to better methods of getting protein and calories, it’s not the best way, at all.

Amazing that this is the thread that gets me to join.

I’m on my 6th week of SuperSquats. Milk is prolly around a gallon a day of 2%.

I used to drink a half a gallon a day of whole milk. Dropped down to a gallon every 3 days. Drank like that for about 5 years. Then one day I realized my acne started when I began hounding milk. Everytime I stopped drinking it, it subsidded. After the Poliquin article a couple weeks ago, I stopped drinking it and minimized dairy in general and my acne is much better for it.

[quote]Brett T. wrote:
DanErickson wrote:
kerwyn wrote:
NONE…

benefits does not outweight the problems…

Can you expand on that please?

Apparently nobody can; the only poster to offer any experience says that his “bodyfat scale” reads 2% lower. I don’t trust those things even on relative levels.[/quote]

You seem to be a big fan of milk. That’s your business and if it works for you then by all means. However some people do not respond well to drinking a gallon of milk a day along with a bunch of other dairy products. Is milk better than fast food? Of course it is. I’m just saying that eating the occasional fast food meal as an alternative to bulking by drinking alot of milk can be viable option for some. I tried the whole gallon a milk a day thing. Did I gain weight? Yep. Did I feel bloated and slow? Yep. Did my complexion get a whole lot worse? Yep. Some people don’t digest milk as well as others and I feel that is more than enough reason to not drink it.

I believe someone else in this thread also stated that it is too hard to bulk up eating only healthy foods. Well, yeah of course it is, but in the long run the weight that you gain will be much better than on a dairy bulking diet. Throw in some Surge post and pre workout, a couple more protein bars and you should be alright. My whole point is that everybody is different. If drinking all that milk works for some people, then great. Just not in my case.

A lot.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Whole milk, 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon daily.

It’s great for extra calories–3200 in one gallon, and easy to eat/drink quickly if in a rush. Barring GI tract problems of course. [/quote]

What whole milk are you drinking? 3200 cals? I think theres only 2400 cals in a gallon. Unless you meant you were drinking 1.5 gallons of milk a day, instead half a gallon to a whole gallon.

[quote]Charlemagne wrote:
I believe someone else in this thread also stated that it is too hard to bulk up eating only healthy foods. Well, yeah of course it is, but in the long run the weight that you gain will be much better than on a dairy bulking diet.
[/quote]

I’m sorry, but what the hell? The weight you gain will be “better” if you avoid dairy? What does this mean and do you even know what you are talking about? If I drink milk and gain 20lbs of muscle mass, this weight is somehow “bad muscle weight” compared to if I had avoided milk and gained the same?

Bullshit flows like waterfalls of 2% low fat around here.