How Much Is Too Much?

This isn’t a contest is it? Do you win a prize by having the biggest bench or DL? I’ve got goals that I want to meet with my strength levels, when I get there I’ll reevaluate my goals and set them higher or switch them around completely and go strictly for size or hell maybe even “shudder” functional for a sport I enjoy.

You should always have goals though, something to work towards so you’re not languishing in mediocrity. Doesn’t necessarily mean that strength has to be the only one.

[quote]roybot wrote:

Do Draper and Zane have any joint issues?

[/quote]

Actually they’ve suffered A LOT of injuries over the years. That’s from reading what they wrote…

lulz

The longest living people are Okinawins, a small prefecture in Japan.

Their secrets include a stress free life and whenever they eat, they don’t eat till 100%, they eat till they’re still a little hungry.

Bodybuilding is by no means, a life extending activity, but neither is any strenuous physical activity. However it improves the QUALITY of life, which is paramount in our existance.

You have to make the choice for yourself, if you want to live a safe comfortable secure life, just keep doing the same thing day in day out. If you want to be extraordinary, you will have to make sacrifices, that includes years of your life and physical comfort. That’s why so few people achieve greatness, it requires sacrifice.

Too much is relative to each individual.

Bodybuilding is about extremes. It is not for everyone. To truly enjoy it and get the most out of it you must accept and embrace the dangers nd possibilities of fucking yourself up with a heavy weight. But this realization makes every pound you add to the bar more satisfyin, every pound of muscle you gain more worth it. Without the pain, the possibility of injury, or the other sacrifices, it just wouldnt be the same.

Also, as people have mentioned, it is about the journey. The people who truly get far in this sport are the ones who love teh actual act of being in the gym; being under a heavy weight, having 400lb on your back or in your hands. The exhiliration of knowing that shit, if I don’t get this weight, I’m gonna be crushed.

Bodybuilding has a high chance of injury.
Football has a high chance of injury. Snowboarding has a high chance of injury. Driving race cars really fast has a high chance of injury.

Knitting has a low chance of injury.

Take your pick.

Excellent response.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Bodybuilding is about extremes. It is not for everyone. To truly enjoy it and get the most out of it you must accept and embrace the dangers nd possibilities of fucking yourself up with a heavy weight. But this realization makes every pound you add to the bar more satisfyin, every pound of muscle you gain more worth it. Without the pain, the possibility of injury, or the other sacrifices, it just wouldnt be the same.

Also, as people have mentioned, it is about the journey. The people who truly get far in this sport are the ones who love teh actual act of being in the gym; being under a heavy weight, having 400lb on your back or in your hands. The exhiliration of knowing that shit, if I don’t get this weight, I’m gonna be crushed.

Bodybuilding has a high chance of injury.
Football has a high chance of injury. Snowboarding has a high chance of injury. Driving race cars really fast has a high chance of injury.

Knitting has a low chance of injury.

Take your pick.[/quote]

[quote]kunk75 wrote:
since hitting 2x bw bench, 1.5x bw mil press, 2.5x squat, etc, i kinda quit trying to improve weights and now play more with rep schemes and rarely go more than 70% of my 1rm on any exercise at this point. 2 ruptured discs and 3 herniations probably made this decision a bit easier.[/quote]

1,5x bw military press while being significantly above average height? Some weightlifters who can jerk far in excess of 200kg struggle with 100kg press. That’s nuts.

yeah, i’m 6’2. have always been strong in shoulder and triceps movements.

[quote]the.israeli wrote:
…I think most people here will agree things like competitive Marathoning or Powerlifting, virtually most competitive sports, will fuck up ones joints/muscles/bones/limbs/organs somehow at sometime… where’s the limit, the thin red line between maintaining great health and fucking yourself long-term?
[/quote]

we could back and forth philisophically all day long. for you, perhaps just be sure to pay attention to soft tissue. pay attention to good warm ups and stretching. do smart things like front squats instead of back squats. like in life, you wear a helmet when you ride a motorcycle, a condom when you have sex. the rest is fate