How Much Is Too Much Fat?

[quote]Hungry_Hippo wrote:
An intelligent approach to your question could be: Have an accurate body fat test completed. From that point bulk up to 5% past where you are, and cut from that point. This would be an ideal way so that you don’t get too heavy and are cutting for a very long period of time (6+ months).

For me being too fat is when you can’t fit comfortably into clothes, or when you realize that you’ve become lard like.[/quote]

And why is that better for getting bigger/stronger than the other approaches mentioned? So if you start out at 8% you should immediately cut at 13%?

That’s a horrible rule

Professor X wrote:
Focus on muscle gains instead of fat gains (aside from keeping them under some level of control) would make the most sense anyway.

Some confusion here. Would this be off of LBM increase, or strength increase?[/quote]

From a BB’ing perspective, aren’t those two things the same thing?

I mean he’s not a Olifter looking to excel in a weight class. He should be getting stronger in a moderate rep range and eating enough to make his muscles grow.

[quote]willsee wrote:
Hungry_Hippo wrote:
An intelligent approach to your question could be: Have an accurate body fat test completed. From that point bulk up to 5% past where you are, and cut from that point. This would be an ideal way so that you don’t get too heavy and are cutting for a very long period of time (6+ months).

For me being too fat is when you can’t fit comfortably into clothes, or when you realize that you’ve become lard like.

And why is that better for getting bigger/stronger than the other approaches mentioned? So if you start out at 8% you should immediately cut at 13%?

That’s a horrible rule[/quote]

Agreed. I don’t know what the fascination is with worrying about some specific number. Everyone doesn’t look the same at the same NUMBER for a body fat percentage. That is the worst way to gauge progress especially as a newb or even intermediate lifter.

The number was generic. Looking back on that “5%” increase it wouldn’t be much on a 200lb individual. I was trying to give a general rule of thumb. If that “200lb” person gained 10% it’d be 20lbs. A lot of people recommend bulking/cutting at a pound per week (if you can keep/increase lbm that is). If that is the case to which you’re applying then 20-30 weeks would be dedicated to the given state.

A lot of people need goals, and anywhere you look having goals can increase your chances of being more successful. I thought by mentioning this it’d be helpful. If not so be it.

[quote]willsee wrote:

That’s a horrible rule[/quote]

It’s not a horrible rule. It’s not a rule at all. The “5%” was a general number. If an individual goes from 8-10% up to 18-20%, the members metabolism may be out of whack. If that person wants to get back to an improved state it could take a while.

Isn’t consistency one of the hardest things in this game?

I was trying to give a general rule of thumb. [/quote]

Yeah, that was your first mistake. There is no general rule of thumb for how much fat someone should TRY to gain because no one should be TRYING to just gain fat to begin with.

[quote]
If that “200lb” person gained 10% it’d be 20lbs. A lot of people recommend bulking/cutting at a pound per week (if you can keep/increase lbm that is). If that is the case to which you’re applying then 20-30 weeks would be dedicated to the given state. [/quote]

I think anyone locked into some set amount that they think they must gain is missing the point. The human body does NOT work that way. If you gained 3lbs in one week, would you put on the breaks? What if nearly all (or the entire amount) was lean muscle mass? These arbitrary rules will hold people back if they have the mentality that these are LIMITS instead of a skeletal outline or guide.

[quote]

A lot of people need goals, and anywhere you look having goals can increase your chances of being more successful. I thought by mentioning this it’d be helpful. If not so be it.[/quote]

Everyone does need goals. They also need to understand that the human body is not confined to some number rule.

The number was generic. Looking back on that “5%” increase it wouldn’t be much on a 200lb individual. I was trying to give a general rule of thumb. If that “200lb” person gained 10% it’d be 20lbs. A lot of people recommend bulking/cutting at a pound per week (if you can keep/increase lbm that is). If that is the case to which you’re applying then 20-30 weeks would be dedicated to the given state.

A lot of people need goals, and anywhere you look having goals can increase your chances of being more successful. I thought by mentioning this it’d be helpful. If not so be it.[/quote]

Goals:

1. Get stronger
  2. Eat to make sure goal #1 is met

No one wants to gain fat, no one is saying gain fat, but make sure you are eating in excess to make sure your muscles grow/you get stronger

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Yeah, that was your first mistake. There is no general rule of thumb for how much fat someone
should TRY to gain because no one should be TRYING to just gain fat to begin with.[/quote]

• Agreed. I see what you’re saying. If your not gaining muscle compared to fat, then somewhere in your training is lacking. Experiment, fix it, and gain.
  • If I gained 3lbs in one week, I wouldn’t change a thing until that number changed. I’d honestly be selling it online!
  • The body is a mystery. If your not meeting you’re overall set goal, then you should adjust fire and fix it immediately.