T Nation

How Much Have You Paid For Gas

[quote]IronHell wrote:
See, that’s why people OUTSIDE of US tend to drive smaller (hence more fuel-efficient and environment friendly) cars…

[/quote]

Well, I had repairs done on my car and the (other guy’s) insurance company paid for my rental-whatever I wanted. I asked for a compact and when I got there, they gave me a heavy duty truck because that’s all they had. I had to insist that they charge the (other guy’s) insurance company for a compact. Then I drove it home and vowed to to use it for the 4 days.

Then I return the thing, and there’s a dent in the roof that they didn’t look for when they checked it out and they are trying to charge me.

So anyway, a lady was stranded with 3 kids in the middle of the street and was out of gas and didn’t quite make it to the pump, so I got a cannister for photocopy toner that I had saved for a science experiment, and the stupid pump was pre-pay only! so I paid 2 bucks and it only filled up the cannister about 70% so thats $2.80. That was for 87 which is the midgrade we’ve got here (85, 87, 91).

It’s around $2.90 for 89 octane. That’s the lowest I can put in my car so I end up paying much more for 91-93 octane. Sucks.

2.81 for 93 octane.

I know this is due to demographics. But, My buddy and I paid 3.40 at the pump on our way into Yosemite Valley. I pulled out the video camera just for a laugh later on.

[quote]MickeyONeil wrote:
What about mass transit?
[/quote]

What about it? If I worked in DC, I’d be able to take the metro. But because of the way the Metro is distributed (a star pattern), you don’t get very far into Maryland and Virginia. VA is a lot better than Maryland is… MD didn’t want to pay to integrate the metro into the state, so you end up with a lot of areas with absolutely zero coverage. I can’t get within walking distance of my job through the metro.

$2.65 for 87 octane yesterday. Been cutting back on driving as much as possible.

nephorm,

Could you please develop a car that runs on egg shells and used coffee grinds?

Thanks

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

$2.87 for 87 octane

1.35 euros for gas in Amsterdam = $6.22. In Germany, where I lived, it was closer to 1.20 euros.

$4.09 Cdn - for the cheap stuff.

2.43 here

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
nephorm,

Thanks
[/quote]

Let me break out my flux capacitor, and I’ll be right with you on that.

$2.41 this morning. I think it should be cheaper here, because I live next door to a refinery and there are 4 more within 5 miles of here.

You foreign people who are being raped for $5/gallon, how many miles do you drive a day?

I remember when gas was 20 cents a gallon. And I’m not old.

I would use mass transit and park my truck in a second…the only problem is I can’t do that with my job making home visits, attending staffings and all. I would have no problem riding the bus.

[quote]IronHell wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
Keith Wassung wrote:
I will start with the opening bid of
$2.48/gallon and I am sure this openinng bid will not last long.

In Austria:

EUR1.09 = $1.33/liter
$5.03/gallon.

Hope the conversions are fairly accurate…

See, that’s why people OUTSIDE of US tend to drive smaller (hence more fuel-efficient and environment friendly) cars…

[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve seen the more fuel-efficient, environment friendly cars all over the former Eastern bloc.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending the non-fuel-efficient car craze in the U.S., rather I’m sick of the Euro-holier than though belief that is so prevalent. (I work with Germans, Swedes, Italians, British and French, btw, so I hear it all the time) I doubt that too many places have stricter emissions standards than California. And the car size issue is as much about the narrow streets and lack of parking than anything else.

Gas here in NJ is running about $2.70 a gallon.

Sorry for the rant, but that’s one of my hot-buttons.
DB

[quote]nephorm wrote:
IL Cazzo wrote:
nephorm,

Thanks

Let me break out my flux capacitor, and I’ll be right with you on that.[/quote]

I thought the flux capacitor ran on plutonium?

I saw 3.01 for premium on a pump yesterday here in connecticut…

[quote]nephorm wrote:
MickeyONeil wrote:
What about mass transit?

What about it? If I worked in DC, I’d be able to take the metro. But because of the way the Metro is distributed (a star pattern), you don’t get very far into Maryland and Virginia. VA is a lot better than Maryland is… MD didn’t want to pay to integrate the metro into the state, so you end up with a lot of areas with absolutely zero coverage. I can’t get within walking distance of my job through the metro.
[/quote]
I think most cities in general aren’t set up for mass transit. In the twin cities where I live I can jump on a bus and be to the University in about 10 minutes. If however I live in the suburbs forget it. It would take up to 2 hours or more.

I think these gas prices should be a pretty good indicator to the rest of this country that we need to start investigating BioDiesel more. Very cheap to manufacture once we overcome the initial start up. Also there are some really good crops that could be raised that are really efficient at producung the oils that need to make it.