How Much Fish Oil for Me?

It’s obvious that fish oil is important for everyone to take, but I’m wondering if anybody has any idea how much I should take. I’m about to start training with Doug Hepburn’s “A Program” for size and strength, my first goal being size. I’m 16 years old and I weigh a little over 150 <(that’s why I want size). Anyway, any suggestions/bashing are welcome.

Don’t ask me what my diet is like because it’s erratic. Being a kid and not cooking for myself, I can’t choose what I eat.

Get your diet fixed. You can choose what you eat, learn to cook.

Elusive is right, you can cook, regardless of whether or not your parents usually do it for you. It took mine some getting used to, but they eventually got over the fact that I just eat different things from them.

the more the better

i take over 18 grams a day (600 mg EPA + DHA total per pill) and have many noticable benefits, and would gladly take more if i could afford it

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
the more the better

i take over 18 grams a day (600 mg EPA + DHA total per pill) and have many noticable benefits, and would gladly take more if i could afford it[/quote]

^Thank you for being the ONLY person who decided to reply to the post I made. As for everyone else, you’ve never met my mom. She has this ridiculous thing (among many others) that we all have to sit and eat the same shit “as a family”. Fuck that shit. I fucking hate every aspect of her personality.\

Rant over, thanks for the posts.

I’ve fixed up my diet the past few months, since finding T-Nation, and I’ve seen impressive changes. I’m 17, by the way. I weigh roughly 170 now.

I take probably about 8-10 30% DHA+EPA concentration fish oil capsules… so that’s 2.4-3g/day. Yeah, not much. I’d love to be able to afford 60% and to be able to take at least 10/day.

I wouldn’t worry so much about fish oil, but overall general diet. Even if your mom forces you to sit together (my parents are divorced… so I don’t have that problem) you can find other ways to clean up your diet. She likely doesn’t make every meal for you.

Without knowing what your diet is like it is hard to assess, remember although essential and helpful fish oil is still a supplement and there is no substitute for good food. That being said you should START with 12 grams and build up to 40grams. Pay perticular attention to the DHA content and try to rotate your sources every 2 weeks (Flameout, smartblend, krill oil, etc.) Congrats on taking steps towards your goal at a young age.

One more tidbit, a great way to really “beef up” your omega 3 intake is by eating grass-fed beef! It is high in cla and omega 3’s and cheap (check out www.tallgrassbeef.com) Good luck and train hard!

i sort have the same problem
money being another problem

what id figure id doo, is adapt!
you can basically plan the rest of your diet, that your mum doesnt prepare, like between breakfast and lunch, snacks etc.

your trying to gain weight anyway, so you could give a rough geuss of how many calories your mum is gona make for you
and you make the rest of the calories your self

Who manufactures the best fish oil?

Biotest, who else?

It’s expensive and all that, but I have to say (yet again) that I’m VERY impressed with Biotest’s Flameout. It’s worth the extra money. I’ve been taking fish oil for years, and I do believe it helps, and noticeably so, my brain and body function. This stuff is the best I’ve had, especially when it comes to brain function. The extra DHA is, for me at least, extra good.

That said, I just take the standard dose. I’ve been thinking about adding some krill oil, too. But I haven’t taken that plunge yet. Probably because my wife likes to have fun with my potions and powders (though she’s slowly coming around, I think).

[quote]brains wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
the more the better

i take over 18 grams a day (600 mg EPA + DHA total per pill) and have many noticable benefits, and would gladly take more if i could afford it

^Thank you for being the ONLY person who decided to reply to the post I made. As for everyone else, you’ve never met my mom. She has this ridiculous thing (among many others) that we all have to sit and eat the same shit “as a family”. Fuck that shit. I fucking hate every aspect of her personality.\

Rant over, thanks for the posts.[/quote]

I take about 10 grams a day but don’t expect wonders to happen. Better recovery and skin has been the result of my dosage and I imagine it helps keeping fat off as well. However, I can’t help but take exception to your comments.

Alright i don’t know your mom, but any mom who’s trying to keep the family together eating at the same table and attempting to keep communication channels open can’t be all bad. As a father of two, I can tell you that you have absolutely know idea what your mom has likely been through ( your comments show that) and obviously continues to go through.

Before you develop your muscles I suggest you work on your empathy. It never hurts to show respect for the people who brought you into this world despite their failings.

[quote]brains wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
the more the better

Rant over, thanks for the posts.[/quote]

Being a teenager means you are automatically wrong even if you are right. You have to find a way to eat better foods without causing drama. Swallowing your pride along with at least 12 grams of fish oil a day will help.

[quote]Leichenwagen wrote:
brains wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
the more the better

Rant over, thanks for the posts.

I take about 10 grams a day but don’t expect wonders to happen. Better recovery and skin has been the result of my dosage and I imagine it helps keeping fat off as well. However, I can’t help but take exception to your comments.

Alright i don’t know your mom, but any mom who’s trying to keep the family together eating at the same table and attempting to keep communication channels open can’t be all bad. As a father of two, I can tell you that you have absolutely know idea what your mom has likely been through ( your comments show that) and obviously continues to go through.

Before you develop your muscles I suggest you work on your empathy. It never hurts to show respect for the people who brought you into this world despite their failings.[/quote]

This post is golden.

Sorry, brains, I didn’t read your second post. Having read it, I gotta say the same thing: work on your empathy. Myself - and, I’m sure, many other guys - can only wish that they could eat together with their whole family. Show some respect.

Go tell your mom you love her you little bastard.

[quote]laroyal wrote:
One more tidbit, a great way to really “beef up” your omega 3 intake is by eating grass-fed beef! It is high in cla and omega 3’s and cheap (check out www.tallgrassbeef.com) Good luck and train hard![/quote]

Ahh ha ha ha!

Watch the video.

The guy sounds like he was voice-coached by William Shatner!

ElbowStrike

Sorry for sounding like a gigantic cock, but none of you know my mom. It’s been a constant battle with her just to sign up for the gym. My mom has severe “control freak”
problems. I recently took a break from training to focus on school/EMT training. When I was training, my mom would flip a shit when she saw me eating stuff she didn’t cook.

She was also grilling me constantly that I was going to “hurt myself”. (She’s the type of person who calls it a workout to do one set of calf raises w/ 3 pound pink dumbells) She found my workout journal and started reading it, then started fucking YELLING at me because she thought I shouldn’t be doing that. She didn’t know what three quarters of the exercises were.

But thank you to everybody whose comments were actually about fish oil.

I won’t even get in to the other aspects of her personality, but if you knew her you would not like her. But I’ll let this thread stay about fish oil.