How Much Fat Is Ok?

[quote]actionjeff wrote:
yeah but …It’s not like your fat intake is DEPENDENT upon your carbs and protein and overall expenditure. It seems to me that carb and protein intake tends to be much more flexible than fat intake. A couple hundred calories deviation from the amount of carbs or protein you want usually isn’t a huge difference, but for fat intake it would be. You see what I’m saying?

Seems like it would make more sense to establish your optimal protein and fat intake and then figure out carbs, even if you are carb cycling. Like, just assuming a moderate day should be equal carbs and protein and figuring out your fat from the leftover calories like CT advises doesn’t seem right. That would have you way low on fat for some people too, especially those cutting, like under 30g…

I’m like OP and can’t really find a good guide to fat intake when making gains vs. dieting to lose fat (or staying at maintenance for that matter, not that anyone ever does that!)

thoughts? ideas? this is the type of thing it would be awesome to get an answer from an author about

[/quote]

CT would never have someone on a 30g fat on a cutting diet. And no one ever should be. He often recommnds 1.5g of protein and .5g of fat per lb bodyweight when cutting. Typically trace carbs or small amounts from green vegetables.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
actionjeff wrote:
yeah but …It’s not like your fat intake is DEPENDENT upon your carbs and protein and overall expenditure. It seems to me that carb and protein intake tends to be much more flexible than fat intake. A couple hundred calories deviation from the amount of carbs or protein you want usually isn’t a huge difference, but for fat intake it would be. You see what I’m saying?

Seems like it would make more sense to establish your optimal protein and fat intake and then figure out carbs, even if you are carb cycling. Like, just assuming a moderate day should be equal carbs and protein and figuring out your fat from the leftover calories like CT advises doesn’t seem right. That would have you way low on fat for some people too, especially those cutting, like under 30g…

I’m like OP and can’t really find a good guide to fat intake when making gains vs. dieting to lose fat (or staying at maintenance for that matter, not that anyone ever does that!)

thoughts? ideas? this is the type of thing it would be awesome to get an answer from an author about

CT would never have someone on a 30g fat on a cutting diet. And no one ever should be. He often recommnds 1.5g of protein and .5g of fat per lb bodyweight when cutting. Typically trace carbs or small amounts from green vegetables.[/quote]

that sounds about right to me, maybe a little high

here is the article I am referring to:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=811783

quote from the article:

To continue on with our example, our 220 pound bodybuilder would consume:

1. When trying to gain mass:

High(er) carb days = 330g protein, 412g carbs, 121g fat

Moderate days = 330g protein, 330g carbs, 121g fat

Low(er) carb days = 33g protein, 247g carbs, 121g fat

1. When trying to lose fat:

High(er) carb days = 330g protein, 344g carbs, 33g fat

Moderate days = 330g protein, 275g carbs, 33g fat

Low(er) carb days = 330g protein, 206g carbs, 33g fat

Seems really low to me too! But those are the numbers the method of establishing protein intake, calculating carbs on moderate day, and using leftover calories for fat gives you.

Is this inaccurate then?