T Nation

How Much Does Water Weight Weigh?

I gave myself my weekly morning weigh in this morning and it said I had gained 3 pounds since last week.

I have been at about 3000 cals for two weeks now after ending a cutting phase.

Now I doubt, due to still being able to see the same amount of veins, definition etc., that I have gained much fat, but certainly not 3 pounds of muscle.

Now because I have added in more carbs gradually, could this be water retention?

Where else could these 3 pounds be coming from?

or my scale sucks, which is possible.

a gallon of water weighs 8 lbs.

beyond that, not sure how to answer that question.

3 lbs could be poop, water, some muscle, more glycogen (which holds water), etc

Were you low carbing it? If you were, I believe I remember hearing that every gram of glycogen you replenish pulls in two grams of water with it.

I know that during fairly low carb cutting, a fairly clean 1-2 day refeed usually is a good 4-5 lbs gain in water/stomach contents/glycogen.

Also, don’t dismiss hydration due to increased sodium intake or stomach contents, or as jehovasfitness said, “a poop”.

Anyone this worried about 3lbs has much larger issues to deal with, no offense.

No one here could begin to speculate on where 3lbs came from, but the fact that you seem worried about it makes me wonder why.

I have gained 3-5lbs of muscle in one weekend before. Your body supercompensates when it wants to. Trying to micro-analyze every lbs gained is ridiculous.

It could be muscle, water, fat, fecal matter or a bad scale.

Christ, I’m not that worried, just curious. My therapist says im cool anyway, but i appreciate your concern professor.

I didnt think of glycogen when considering water weight, thanks jehovas, zagman.

and 3-5 lbs of muscle in one weekend? shit. how does one come to measure this?

[quote]poisongatorade wrote:
Christ, I’m not that worried, just curious. My therapist says im cool anyway, but i appreciate your concern professor.

I didnt think of glycogen when considering water weight, thanks jehovas, zagman.

and 3-5 lbs of muscle in one weekend? shit. how does one come to measure this?[/quote]

You don’t control when your body is going to grow. That is why those trying to micromanage their food intake to avoid any and all fat gain will restrict their own progress as far as muscle growth in the long run. Your body doesn’t grow linearly. It grows in spurts. If you are feeding it less when it is ready to grow more, you will miss out on that.

What weighs more, a pound of fat, a pound of muscle, or a pound of water?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
What weighs more, a pound of fat, a pound of muscle, or a pound of water?[/quote]

A pound of feathers.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
poisongatorade wrote:

and 3-5 lbs of muscle in one weekend? shit. how does one come to measure this?

You don’t control when your body is going to grow. That is why those trying to micromanage their food intake to avoid any and all fat gain will restrict their own progress as far as muscle growth in the long run. Your body doesn’t grow linearly. It grows in spurts. If you are feeding it less when it is ready to grow more, you will miss out on that.[/quote]

Point taken. More and more I am beginning to understand why you guys tend to be so hard on the guys who freak out when trying to gain weight and keep their abs.

analog_kid wrote:
What weighs more, a pound of fat, a pound of muscle, or a pound of water?

A pound of feathers.[/quote]

no way, really?

i heard muscle weighs more than fat :wink:

I have gained 3-5lbs of muscle in one weekend before. Your body supercompensates when it wants to. Trying to micro-analyze every lbs gained is ridiculous.
[/quote]

No offense, but I gotta call bullshit on that. I don’t think protein synthesis works quite that quickly.

[quote]Zagman wrote:
Professor X wrote:

No offense, but I gotta call bullshit on that. I don’t think protein synthesis works quite that quickly.
[/quote]

You can call bullshit all you please. One of us has the arms to prove that some serious growth has occurred. One does not.

No one here could begin to speculate on where 3lbs came from…

I have gained 3-5lbs of muscle in one weekend before.
[/quote]

that sounds kind of contradictory :wink:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Professor X wrote:

that sounds kind of contradictory :wink: [/quote]

Much less so when you know your own body.

jehovasfitness wrote:
Professor X wrote:

that sounds kind of contradictory :wink:

Much less so when you know your own body. [/quote]

I have experienced this as well. Your body doesn’t grow in a gradual, measured pattern… it stops and starts, and sometime those starts are something of a leap rather than a small step. If you are eating enough, all the time, you can benefit from this.

EDIT: Should have read the thread first… this exact thing has been said already. Apologies.

[quote]Zagman wrote:
Professor X wrote:

[/quote]

Wha? Protein synthesis works damn quickly. Like it’s constantly happening in every cell of your body at all times. Otherwise you’d be dead.

doesn’t a liter weight 1 kg?

1 L of water = 1kg. Calculating the weight of anything, is dependent on it density.

Mass = Volume x Density.

GJ

Zagman wrote:
Professor X wrote:

You can call bullshit all you please. One of us has the arms to prove that some serious growth has occurred. One does not.[/quote]

the funniest and most accurate thing I’ve read today. Way to end an argument Prof X.

Spot on X.