T Nation

How Much Does Glutamine Help?

I have heard about Glutamine and I thought I’d get some input from you guys.

How does it help and do you have any specific recommendations?

Thanks

my recomendation is get it from your daily eating you’ll get plenty from food including your protein powders IMO.

Well, there’s a lot controversy surrounding it. I haven’t used it much personally. A lot of the top strength coaches and contributors on this site think it’s useful and worth taking, at least during periods of strict dieting.

[quote]Thundersnow wrote:

Thanks[/quote]

Glutamine will replenish glycogen in place of CHO when low carb dieting(AD).

In my experience it doesn’t. Not even in mega-doses.

[quote]Thundersnow wrote:

Thanks[/quote]

Save your money it’s worthless.

[quote]Smitty88 wrote:
Thundersnow wrote:

Thanks

Save your money it’s worthless.[/quote]

Interesting. I wonder what you base your opinion on?

I find it is very beneficial. I especially like it when you are dieting or going through a grueling cycle.

The main benefit I notice is an immune
boost. I feel less run down and recover better.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

I find it is very beneficial. I especially like it when you are dieting or going through a grueling cycle.

boost. I feel less run down and recover better. [/quote]

Sorry for the hijack OP… I did some research on glutamine and read that Glutamine (amino acid) supplementation can help prevent muscle and other tissue breakdown by providing the body with nitrogen and fuel.

It is also very beneficial during a cutting cycle. I have just finished a bulking cycle. I am ready to go on a carb. cycling diet to cut down a little. Sasquatch… What is the recommended dosage for glutamine during a cutting cycle?

The problem is that there’s great debate as to whether or not it gets effectively absorbed when taken orally. Many think it doesn’t.

[quote]Coldiron wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

Sorry for the hijack OP… I did some research on glutamine and read that Glutamine (amino acid) supplementation can help prevent muscle and other tissue breakdown by providing the body with nitrogen and fuel.

It is also very beneficial during a cutting cycle. I have just finished a bulking cycle. I am ready to go on a carb. cycling diet to cut down a little. Sasquatch… What is the recommended dosage for glutamine during a cutting cycle?

[/quote]

[quote]Damici wrote:
The problem is that there’s great debate as to whether or not it gets effectively absorbed when taken orally. Many think it doesn’t.

Coldiron wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

[/quote]

And many think it is/does.

[quote]Coldiron wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

[/quote]

I like to take 5g with post workout shake and another 10g with my ZMA at night. When not cutting or reducing carbs or going through a really tough routine, I usually just take the 5g after working out. PWO is usually a protein/carb drink with 3-5g creatine and 5g glutamine. You have to keep it moving or it settles and I usually have some left so I add water and finish it.

True.

I can only speak from my own experience, and basing it on that, it would seem that it doesn’t. (Or just doesn’t do anything regardless).

But I know that Charles Poliquin, for example, disagrees.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Damici wrote:

Coldiron wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

And many think it is/does.[/quote]

[quote]sasquatch wrote

I like to take 5g with post workout shake and another 10g with my ZMA at night. When not cutting or reducing carbs or going through a really tough routine, I usually just take the 5g after working out. PWO is usually a protein/carb drink with 3-5g creatine and 5g glutamine. You have to keep it moving or it settles and I usually have some left so I add water and finish it.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply sasquatch. I will try the 5/10 gr. during my cutting cycle.

I’ve read research that suggests it increases energy expenditure after consumption, but I’m not sure how significant it may be… or what exactly the energy is being used for.

http://jpen.aspenjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/30/2/76

Maybe the supplement brain trust could look into this deeper and tell us exactly what is happening?

[quote]vroom wrote:
I’ve read research that suggests it increases energy expenditure after consumption, but I’m not sure how significant it may be… or what exactly the energy is being used for.

http://jpen.aspenjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/30/2/76

Maybe the supplement brain trust could look into this deeper and tell us exactly what is happening?[/quote]

Here is what I think I know, and believe, about it.

It is both catabolic and anti-catabolic. By supplementing when stressing the body either by diet or workout, this is the glutamine the body uses as opposed to that stored in your muscle. I believe the theory is that this stops some breakdown of tissue.

It also is a factor in GH production, helps promote glycogen synthesis, and may be a cell volumizer. (Why I like to mix it with creatine.) It may even have a suppression factor for cortisol. This may help stop the anticatabolism nature of your workout.

I believe it also to be a strong immune enhancer.

most of the glutamine studies were done on individuals who already had low levels of glutamine in them (burnt patients). Here’s a good post on why glutamine isn’t good:

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
most of the glutamine studies were done on individuals who already had low levels of glutamine in them (burnt patients). Here’s a good post on why glutamine isn’t good:

I’ll take my empirical evidence and the 2000 studies I could find on the internet that say it works. Do what you like and pass on what you don’t. But don’t come on here and try to pass it as fact.

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:

Did you just post a link to bodybuilding.com?

Seriously?

Well, the study above is from 2006, and the “method” states:

Ten healthy young adults consumed a mixed meal containing either glutamine (GLN) or an isocaloric amino acid mixture (CON). GLN and CON treatments were administered on separate days in random order for each subject.

Extra glutamine is worthless, save your money.