How Much Does a Cheat Day Effect Us When it Comes to Dieting?

I did the calculations for my protien intake , i do get a sufficient amount … heres the numbers below

26grams of protien in tuna x2 = 52 grams
25 grams of protien in 1 scoop x3 = 75 grams
30 gram of protien in 100 grams of steak x4= 120 grams
11 grams of protien in the cottage cheese
10 gram of protien in the greek yogurt
10 gram of protien deli turkey

Total : 278

I think i got the math right , right?

Many people practice it as follows: On this day, do not eat junk, but simply slightly exceed the calories for balance, but still eat the same quality food.

yeah i think this is the best way to do it

Cheat DAYS are a big no-no

1 Like

the first 5 month , i never felt the need for a cheat meal/day … but then the craving started hitting… specially after long runs… now i can control the cravings 6 days a week… but the 7th i used to think of it as my reward… but given what everyone has been saying here “and i definitley agree” the c.d is what messing my weight loss.

to the next question… you said no cheat days… then what ?? you keep eating clean your entire life?

No, just have cheat meals, not cheat day. And probably have them more frequently because what you’re doing is not sustainable. Maybe twice? provided they aren’t too insane. My cheats are usually 1200-1500 calories, so nothing like the 5000 calories insanities of influencers, but I have them twice/thrice a week

Do you enjoy your meal plan? It’s dieting, sure it’s going to be tough, but if you hate what you eat you’re going to become insane. Let’s compare my current dieting meal plan.

2600 calories, 200g of proteins, trying to eat less fat and more carbs. An average day:

• Meal 1: 3 eggs with lean ham and bell pepper/zucchini

• Meal 2: Greek salad (100g feta, tomato, cucumber, red onion, olive oil) with 2 slices of whole bread and some lean turkey/chicken on the side.

• Meal 3: 400g 0% Skyr, 1 cup of whey, 30g of crunchy muesli, fresh fruits

• Meal 4: one giant tortilla filled with 250g of chicken, vegetables, 1/2 avocado and a bit of tomato sauce

That’s it, if I’m too hungry or lack some calories I’ll have a shake or a fruit or a bit of Skyr

Went from 93 to 86 kilos and still losing. But I would go insane with your diet of plain tuna and plain rice. I really enjoy what I eat though

1 Like

i enjoy what i eat, i keep switching between steak,tuna,white cheese,salmon… im good on my diet… but yeah the cheat meal is what i should work on.

so say youre in my shoes, what would you have for a cheat meal? and how many times a week/month ?

and one more thing, the 400g skryr yogurt,do you have it as a cheat meal ? i eat it on the daily after my 5 mile run but never thought of having the 400g one… always worries that itll have alot of useless calories

No. I have either the “fromage blanc” which is more like cottage cheese but I never found a non-French equivalent. 400g is 27g of proteins and 21g of carbs for 192 calories

Or the flavoured skyr which 400g equals 52g of carbs and 29g of proteins for 324 calories (in that case I don’t eat fruits or stuff with it)

If I take a plain skyr it’ll have less carbs. Or you can find some specialized, protein-enriched ones here. In any case it’s very filling.

For the cheat, I don’t know, something you love… I’ll have a pizza, or homemade burger and fries, or tuna with fries and mayo… but usually my cheats are planned for the days I eat out

1 Like

Not much to add, but one trick I’ve tried is reducing my day so I can still have a bigger dinner.

So I take care of some carbs around my training in the morning.

Then I eat relatively light so that my dinner can be a slightly larger portion of food I like (steak and potato for me).

You still get that mind trick of a reward, you don’t crush yourself to the point you daydream of candy bars, your workouts don’t suffer, and you can stay in your weekly deficit.

1 Like

Had not thought of it but I do the same. My breakfast is my lighter meal. It alsol helps that I train in the evening

1 Like

It takes a lot more effort to lose weight than to maintain your weight. In fact, it sounds like you’re maintaining now while eating copious amounts of whatever you want once a week. Which is to say: no, you don’t need to “eat clean” for the rest of your – just for as long as you are trying to lose weight.

One tactic that I’ve had success with is “reverse dieting” by adding more unplanned/ cheat meals, rather than simply adding calories evenly to each day. Once I’m as lean as I want to be, I add a “free meal” on Saturday night. Don’t gain weight? Cool – what if I add one during the week as well. Still good? What if I add desert to one of those? Etc etc etc until you can’t add any more or you’d rather add food to your “normal” meals instead.

2 Likes

There were a few years when my ex-wife competed in bodybuilding that we would do our cheat meal as a date night at an expensive French restaurant. We did the entire 5 course meal. We didn’t make any “healthy choice substitutes”. We just enjoyed the luxury of fine food. It definitely wasn’t a junk food meal.

1 Like

alright, thanks a bunch for the input guys … i guess i know what i need to do now … will revert back to you next month with the results .

Thanks and all the best

3 Likes

Good luck with it and will be very interest to see how you go. You have done a great job getting this far and clearly have a handle on what will work now.

2 Likes

thanks brother :slight_smile:

Addressing this might help. Veggies are filling, and can be quite flavorful. They also have a lot of valuable nutrients in them.

2 Likes

i do have a bowl of salad on the daily … forgot to mention it

You have changed your story a few times on the vegetables :slight_smile: