T Nation

How Much Do You Spend?

Hi everyone.

I am a college student, but am getting married and moving off campus in a month. So I finally have to start buying my own food (since I lived off of my parents and the college cafeteria all my life). I was just wondering how much you guys spend per day/week/month or whatever on food and supplements.

I have to start budgeting somewhere, and I realize I will spend more money than the average joe, so I am wondering how much you guys justify spending to know a little bit what to expect.

Thanks.

$200 for a family of 5 every two weeks - let’s just say buying protein powder is like Christmas

Just myself, I get by on about $60/week for food. Supplements…couple tubs of protein powder a month on average. Keep in mind my food budget is pretty much the basics. Stuff like fresh salmon, shrimp, steak, etc is a luxury. Unfortunately.

$100 a week for me and I’m at school with a meal plan. It is a bitch.

Rico- Where do you get the money for all that? I was hoping to get by around $60-75 a week.

Yeah I would say around 40-50bucks/wk for all the fresh stuff such as fruits and veggies, as well as cottage cheese, tuna, eggs.

Usually best to buy your ground beef in bulk and freeze it. I find that these days I don’t even bother buying chicken. Here in Ontario, shit is crazy expensive - so instead I buy ground turkey. Which is leaner, and less expensive.

Usually try and grab a 5pound tub of casein based protein for breakfast/bed meals, then order online for my bcaa’s/whey isolate and fish caps.

Yah, I really want to be able to justify buying Metabolic Drive. I have always been too cheap to shell out the cash, even though I knew it was a fair price. But on the buy three get one free I decided to splurge a little and order a tub with one of my freebies. And like I knew it would be its dynamite. I am really trying to justify a tub per two weeks of the stuff. I guess thats the idea this thread stems from.

I also really want to support Biotest and T-Nation because I appreciate an honest company and have greatly benefited from the articles here as well as the forums.

about $125-150 wk on food just for me.
probably another $300 on supplements a month

the grocery bill also includes some small stuff like TP, shampoo, etc.

[quote]ajweins wrote:
Rico- Where do you get the money for all that? I was hoping to get by around $60-75 a week.[/quote]

I had a job for 5years, almost full time. I have to pay for everything except my tuition. res,food,phone, etc! I am planning on getting a job for 2nd year when I’m off campus. I’m guessing I’ll be spending $125-$150 for almost 2weeks next year. I want to get bigger so I’m going to have to start eating more. Buy in bulk whenever you can! I live in Ontario and we have ‘COSCO’ or something like that, (COSTCO?) and you can save big because you buy in bulk. I can have a 1-2servings of chicken for a bit more than a week for $25ish.

like $100 a week and $150-200 a month on supps. I could probably buy more in bulk and save a little but fridge and freezer space is tight.

about $500 a month on food and $100 on supps.

[quote]ajweins wrote:
Hi everyone.

I am a college student, but am getting married and moving off campus in a month. So I finally have to start buying my own food (since I lived off of my parents and the college cafeteria all my life). I was just wondering how much you guys spend per day/week/month or whatever on food and supplements.

I have to start budgeting somewhere, and I realize I will spend more money than the average joe, so I am wondering how much you guys justify spending to know a little bit what to expect.

Thanks.[/quote]

Depends how i’m eating - how much i am eating… If i am bulking then i have been known to spend £60 ($120) a week on just me.
If not, then i can get away with £30 ($60).

Supps - can be £35 a month on 10lbs whey or £100’s… depends…!

Joe

I too am a married college student and I spend about 150-200 on food a week and no more than 100 a month on sups.

family of 5 here also, around 200 a week! supps not included…the hardest part for us is i eat different than the rest of the family

About 125/week, but i cook every meal myself and rarely eat out. Eating out is what really jacks up the food bills, even lunch at work. You get so much/better quality food if you just make it yourself, most people are just lazy though.

If you guys are spending $60+ per week for just yourselves you really need to learn how to shop! You can save a lot of money by doing the work yourself. Nothing pre-cut/packaged/cooked and you can magically shave around 15% off your food bills. Steak only needs to cost about $3.00/lb, same w/ chicken and the like.

[quote]Jeffe wrote:
If you guys are spending $60+ per week for just yourselves you really need to learn how to shop! You can save a lot of money by doing the work yourself. Nothing pre-cut/packaged/cooked and you can magically shave around 15% off your food bills. Steak only needs to cost about $3.00/lb, same w/ chicken and the like.[/quote]

Sorry man, maybe we just eat more than you. I already follow your golden rule but it still comes to around $100 a week.

About 150 a week when eating clean while dieting (not counting supplements). About 200 a week when gaining and eating out more.

I spend about 200 a month on protein supplements and meal replacements.

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:
Jeffe wrote:
If you guys are spending $60+ per week for just yourselves you really need to learn how to shop! You can save a lot of money by doing the work yourself. Nothing pre-cut/packaged/cooked and you can magically shave around 15% off your food bills. Steak only needs to cost about $3.00/lb, same w/ chicken and the like.

Sorry man, maybe we just eat more than you. I already follow your golden rule but it still comes to around $100 a week. [/quote]

Agreed. Steaks are currently 4 bucks a pound at Krogers. I go through about 2-3lbs a day depending on the size of each steak and these are lean cuts. They would cost more if I didn’t wait for them to go on sale about 2-3 days before the sell by date.

I think some people underestimate how much food some of us eat. Everyone isn’t 150lbs.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Rico Suave wrote:
Jeffe wrote:

Sorry man, maybe we just eat more than you. I already follow your golden rule but it still comes to around $100 a week.

Agreed. Steaks are currently 4 bucks a pound at Krogers. I go through about 2-3lbs a day depending on the size of each steak and these are lean cuts. They would cost more if I didn’t wait for them to go on sale about 2-3 days before the sell by date.

I think some people underestimate how much food some of us eat. Everyone isn’t 150lbs.[/quote]

wow, 2-3 lbs a day :open_mouth:

lean beef around here is 4.99/lb

not too mention, fruit isn’t exactly cheap