How Much do you Spend on Supplements?

This month was 142.78. Its been going up due to the cost of whey. I spend most of my monies on food nowadays.

[quote]ovalpline wrote:
Your supplement bill is definitely high. I’m sure it’s hard to separate the results attributable to the inclusion of supplements, but do you think your results justify the bill?

The only supplements I have are a good multivitamin, a protein powder, and fish oil… I get them all from Costco.

God bless, Costco.[/quote]

What protein powder do you get at Costco? The only one that mine sells is a blend by EAS and the second ingredient is soy protein. Obviously I don’t buy it.

Source? Seriously? How about almost every article ever written about protein in Flex, on Bodybuilding.com, MuscleMag, etc. Do some research and then talk to me.

[quote]the_patient wrote:
Source? Seriously? How about almost every article ever written about protein in Flex, on Bodybuilding.com, MuscleMag, etc. Do some research and then talk to me.[/quote]

2 to 3 is probably more than needed. If that is what you want to do, go for it.

Source? Seriously? How about almost every article ever written about protein in Flex, on Bodybuilding.com, MuscleMag, etc. Do some research and then talk to me.[/quote]

Alright smartass, because all of those that you listed are trusted sources.

I agree with Zap

Your on a website calle Testosterone Nation and your questioning the trustworthyness of Flex, Bodybuilding.com, etc.? If you don’t trust them just google protein per body weight and you will see a great deal of sources that say even if you aren’t training at all you need .8 to 1 gram per lb per day which for me would still be 250 grams a day.

Maybe you eat 4 or 5 lbs of chicken a day but I don’t. As for protein intake, you can’t have too much but we do know from studies that you can have too little for sufficient repair and growth; especially if your in the gym 5 and 6 times a week. Seriously, really?

Your on a website calle Testosterone Nation and your questioning the trustworthyness of Flex, Bodybuilding.com, etc.? If you don’t trust them just google protein per body weight and you will see a great deal of sources that say even if you aren’t training at all you need .8 to 1 gram per lb per day which for me would still be 250 grams a day.

Maybe you eat 4 or 5 lbs of chicken a day but I don’t. As for protein intake, you can’t have too much but we do know from studies that you can have too little for sufficient repair and growth; especially if your in the gym 5 and 6 times a week. Seriously, really?[/quote]

Seriously. You’ve yet to give a source, much less a credible one. If the sources are so plentiful then why not just acutually link one? I read articles on this website all the time and I’ve yet to see one reccomend the amount you’re stating. Flex and Bodybuilding.com? Seriously, reslly?

And you should rethink your statement on protein of “you can’t have too much.” You can definitely have too much.

I am not going to do the research for you. Go to bodybuilding.com and search protein intake. There should be a list of about 100 articles that can tell you all you need to know.

I am not going to do the research for you. Go to bodybuilding.com and search protein intake. There should be a list of about 100 articles that can tell you all you need to know.[/quote]

The fact is that ~ 0.7 to 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight is plenty depending on training, goals, etc.

2 grams per pound is pretty high. 3 is extreme and may result in your body adapting to protein as an energy source which is not good.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
the_patient wrote:
I am not going to do the research for you. Go to bodybuilding.com and search protein intake. There should be a list of about 100 articles that can tell you all you need to know.

The fact is that ~ 0.7 to 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight is plenty depending on training, goals, etc.

2 grams per pound is pretty high. 3 is extreme and may result in your body adapting to protein as an energy source which is not good.
[/quote]

Yep.

[quote]ovalpline wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
the_patient wrote:

Yep.[/quote]

Can’t believe nobody has commented on the outrageous claims in the_patient’s profile. If true I will be tripling my protein intake post haste.

[quote]BigBen72 wrote:
ovalpline wrote:

Yep.

Can’t believe nobody has commented on the outrageous claims in the_patient’s profile. If true I will be tripling my protein intake post haste. [/quote]

nice catch, LOL

“I’d like to be a pro-BB, but my BMI is too high” LOL, all BBers are obese according to BMI.
Hell, I’m 5’8 185 lbs and overweight according to it.

As for the lift #s, I’ll leave that to someone else to comment on, if they want

What part of my pro do you doubt? I will take pics to prove. As for my BMI, it is high as pics will show. I don’t have any reason to lie to anybody on the internet. You can ask my trainer if you still doubt. He has his own website/supplement store at www.bodybuildingzoo.com. As for your body adapting to protein as an energy source, studies have shown that people resistent to protein synthesis simply do not assimilate the excess protein in their bodies.

No research that I am aware of shows that excess protein intake will cause catabolism. I will be doing DL tomorrow and will take some pics for you nice folks. I did chest today so pics of BP will have to be later this week after I have recovered a little. As for the BMI, you did notice the ??? because I too do not believe I am as high as they tell me.

I am not going to do the research for you. Go to bodybuilding.com and search protein intake. There should be a list of about 100 articles that can tell you all you need to know.[/quote]

The fact is that if the articles from credible sources are so plentiful, you’d post one. Period. It would take all of about 30 seconds, but you don’t do it.

I don’t doubt your BMI is high. But, BMI is worthless for anyone that regularly exercises.

What part of my pro do you doubt? I will take pics to prove. As for my BMI, it is high as pics will show. I don’t have any reason to lie to anybody on the internet. You can ask my trainer if you still doubt. He has his own website/supplement store at www.bodybuildingzoo.com.

As for your body adapting to protein as an energy source, studies have shown that people resistent to protein synthesis simply do not assimilate the excess protein in their bodies.

No research that I am aware of shows that excess protein intake will cause catabolism. I will be doing DL tomorrow and will take some pics for you nice folks.

I did chest today so pics of BP will have to be later this week after I have recovered a little. As for the BMI, you did notice the ??? because I too do not believe I am as high as they tell me.[/quote]

I did notice that you have BMI confused with bodyfat percentage in your profile.

That sounds like a diverse group of science minded individuals. Did you ask the clerk at GNC what they thought too?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
BigBen72 wrote:
ovalpline wrote:

Yep.

Can’t believe nobody has commented on the outrageous claims in the_patient’s profile. If true I will be tripling my protein intake post haste.

nice catch, LOL

“I’d like to be a pro-BB, but my BMI is too high” LOL, all BBers are obese according to BMI.
Hell, I’m 5’8 185 lbs and overweight according to it.

As for the lift #s, I’ll leave that to someone else to comment on, if they want[/quote]

I din’t see his lifts but I saw 30% BF.

You have me there, I did confuse BMI and bodyfat percentage. Second, I never said I wanted to be a Pro Bodybuilder, I just said I would like to bodybuild in general but my bodyfat percentage is too high, i.e. I am fat. As for the articles on other websites, any data can be manipulated to say what the author wants so you can go in any direction you want, I myself have had the best gains with a high protein diet.

As for my lifts, those are 100% legit and I will be posting pics of my DL tonight or tomorrow; they will be working lifts, not 1 rep max so you will have to take it or leave it. I will do the same for squat and bench in the coming days. I don’t guess I understand why you would call me out on that since I don’t think they are that great in the first place. It isn’t like I am claiming to be a world champ powerlifter or anything.

0$.

I think supplements in general only play a very small role and are overhyped.

Not only that, I believe very little is actually absorbed compared to real food and that it can be extra difficult on the kidneys.

So I really concentrate on eating a balanced diet, alot of protein, alot of fish and of course eating ALOT.

Just my opinion. Id love to build as much muscle as possible but health is still number one priority. So far I have seen good gains but still have long ways to go.