How Much Do You Leg Press?

I train at home so I don’t leg press at all. But if I was training at the gym I probably wouldn’t leg press either. My legs grow faster than anything. I just do 8 sets of squats (to failure) to release some GH and testosterone. And after this I’m so drained I sometimes do deadlift sometimes not. Hams will grow even from squats.

[quote]Cronus wrote:
I figured being in a bodybuilding forum that full ROM was implied unless stated otherwise, as in lowering until your quads hit your chest, which prevents you from lowering further. Obviously there are different leg press machines (i was only referring to plate loaded ones because ive never seen a pin stack one go over 500 lbs…)

Idk if anyone read anything I wrote but I was interested in how people integrate the leg press into their routine and how much they use in sets compared to their max weight…haven’t got a response yet? Obviously the leg press is an excellent tool to build leg size I figured most people on this site did this exercise?

Why don’t we just forget about our “max” then and discuss how we press. [/quote]

Leg press can be a great tool for quad growth.

My favorite techniques are taken from John Meadows and through my own experimentation.
I really like dead-stop leg presses, presses done with 3-5 second eccentrics, dropsets, and I enjoy doing high volume work on them.

I don’t leg press 2000 lb…

I can press more on the machine you picture in your OP than on the machines that glide on a rack. I also noticed I can press more when I’m lifting with other guys–the Alpha Male thing kicks in I guess. I never paid attention to my max, but it was over 1000lbs for reps. I usually don’t go that heavy though, because like ebomb, I prefer high volume on the press.

Spar4tee’s back is getting bigger.

I use a leg press all of the time. My main movements lately are on a plate loaded squat machine and the leg press. My quads are decent. I don’t focus on going as heavy right now. For the last year or so, I started working more on slowing the reps down and really making my quads work through the full range of motion.

But yeah…first you need to get real strong on it…but asking what weight others use is a mistake because the weight is different depending on the angle.

I used to load the machine up with all it could hold back in Florida and that was 20 plates total…but that was for ten full reps, not half reps.

Thanks for the input PX and ebomb. Yea thats true max weight is different machine to machine. The one i use (in the pic) is easier than the standard sled ones, I like it because the angle is a little different and feels more natural to me. Right now I add weight until failure and then finish with light weight for as many slow reps as i can handle to maximize the TUT for quads (20-30 reps.

I’ve done a few powerlifting meets in the past and my back squat has always been very underwhelming (form breaks down with max weights, bad hip flexibility) so I like to use the leg press first in my routine.

[quote]Cronus wrote:
Thanks for the input PX and ebomb. Yea thats true max weight is different machine to machine. The one i use (in the pic) is easier than the standard sled ones, I like it because the angle is a little different and feels more natural to me. Right now I add weight until failure and then finish with light weight for as many slow reps as i can handle to maximize the TUT for quads (20-30 reps.

I’ve done a few powerlifting meets in the past and my back squat has always been very underwhelming (form breaks down with max weights, bad hip flexibility) so I like to use the leg press first in my routine. [/quote]
So, wouldn’t you benefit more in the long run if you took a few steps back and worked on your squat first in your routine, then rep out later with the leg press? I’m all for size, but you’re only as strong as your weakest body part.
As far as input goes, when I use the leg press, infrequently, I use a sumo stance for a few sets, a normal shoulder width kind of stance for a few sets and then a real tight stance for a few. Always at the end of my leg day, 8 or 9 sets of 12-15 with #400, one minute in between sets. Hammer that shit out and be done with it…

I find I can press more on the plate-loaded machines than the cable driven ones. Not only that, but it feels a lot more comfortable and more natural ROM too.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Spar4tee’s back is getting bigger.[/quote]
Thank you sir. Looking awesome man.

[quote]kox wrote:
I train at home so I don’t leg press at all. But if I was training at the gym I probably wouldn’t leg press either. My legs grow faster than anything. I just do 8 sets of squats (to failure) to release some GH and testosterone. And after this I’m so drained I sometimes do deadlift sometimes not. Hams will grow even from squats. [/quote]

If you have any goals with your leg training besides “Squat a lot” (and even if that is your only goal), good luck reaching them if this post is serious. You’ll need it.

Interested in just how amazing your legs apparently look from just squats and sometimes deadlifts.

pic from a year ago. Machine was maxed, so i threw a bar on it with more 45s/25s since i ran out of 45s. Honestly dont think ive leg pressed since then. I mean, it was the most weight i could use due to the machine/lack of weight, but of course there were prolly things i F’d up; Rom shorter due to thighs hitting the gut, hands placed on thighs for added leverage. The majority of leg work these days revolves around Squat/squat variations (Front, Box, Machine hack, etc).

[quote]Cronus wrote:

I’ve done a few powerlifting meets in the past and my back squat has always been very underwhelming (form breaks down with max weights, bad hip flexibility) so I like to use the leg press first in my routine. [/quote]

If you’re training for powerlifting, then the squat should be your focus. If you just want bigger legs, do whatever adds size to them.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]kox wrote:
I train at home so I don’t leg press at all. But if I was training at the gym I probably wouldn’t leg press either. My legs grow faster than anything. I just do 8 sets of squats (to failure) to release some GH and testosterone. And after this I’m so drained I sometimes do deadlift sometimes not. Hams will grow even from squats. [/quote]

If you have any goals with your leg training besides “Squat a lot” (and even if that is your only goal), good luck reaching them if this post is serious. You’ll need it.

Interested in just how amazing your legs apparently look from just squats and sometimes deadlifts. [/quote]

i just laughed at the GH and testosterone relase part

[quote]Singingbear78 wrote:
I don’t usually leg press. But when I do… The whole gym knows about it. [/quote]

Why? Do you use 2 spotters and scream even with no plates loaded? nah just playing.

In regards to the topic it at hand, what sort of angle do you guys have the seat at when you leg press? The leg press at my gym can be adjusted to either a high or low angle which changes up the ROM and support you get from your upper back.

^ best avatar

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:
^ best avatar[/quote]
x2 no idea what he posted

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:
^ best avatar[/quote]
x2 no idea what he posted[/quote]

same here lol

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:
^ best avatar[/quote]

Yes outstanding avatar!

At first I thought she was squatting in a graveyard, then I resumed staring at her ass and realized that the location is irrelevant…

over…9000!

I’ve gone anywhere from 16 45lbs plates to 24 plates on different machines, with good ROM, no hands on legs BS. But My squat is rather lackluster in comparison. The first time i set foot in a gym when i was 19 i leg pressed with 14 plates for a set of 5, and i weighed only 165lbs at 6’3’'.
I really don’t think there is any substitute for squats. Occasionally it’s fun to move that many plates around, but I have always had the best results with squats and deadlifts, and occasional leg etensions.
Plus it’s a pain in the ass to load and unload plates from every machine within 30 ft.